Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,143 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about buying a condo at Golden Gate Point in Sarasota. But the crime rates in that zip code are much higher compared to the national average. I'm not sure how that translates in regard to day-to-day safety for someone who wants to live in downtown Sarasota and be able to walk and enjoy the harbor and area restaurants. Anybody have any insight for me? Thanks

Last edited by jbacus; 05-18-2009 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Change Golden Gate Park for Golden Gate Point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 07:19 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacus View Post
My husband and I are thinking about buying a condo at Golden Gate Park in Sarasota. But the crime rates in that zip code are much higher compared to the national average. I'm not sure how that translates in regard to day-to-day safety for someone who wants to live in downtown Sarasota and be able to walk and enjoy the harbor and area restaurants. Anybody have any insight for me? Thanks
Hmmm...are you talking about Golden Gate Point? The condos across from Marina Jack's? That zip code fringes on an area that, (how shall I say this), is in the process of revitalization. Downtown Sarasota though for the most part is very nice, convenient, walkable, etc

Anyone have any comments on the 34236 zip? Bayou House Apts, Central Park Apts, Gulfstream Towers, Renaissance, Some of the true old Florida bungalows around 10th St fall into this zip code. Gillespie Park falls within this zip code.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 05-18-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 05-18-2009, 07:40 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Hmmm...are you talking about Golden Gate Point? The condos across from Marina Jack's? That zip code fringes on an area that, (how shall I say this), is in the process of revitalization. Downtown Sarasota though for the most part is very nice, convenient, walkable, etc

Anyone have any comments on the 34236 zip? Bayou House Apts, Central Park Apts, Gulfstream Towers, Renaissance, Some of the true old Florida bungalows around 10th St fall into this zip code. Gillespie Park falls within this zip code.
34236 encompasses pretty much all of downtown. Crime rates are too general to follow for the way the different neighborhoods are bordered.

Golden Gate Point is right off the Ringling Causway Bridge & a very nice area. It's an older condominium, I believe.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:43 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
My opinion is that Golden Gate is absolutely fine and safe - it's far enough away from problem areas and kind of self contained I would stay out of Gillespie Park at all costs. Despite what people think about the "charm" of Laurel Park, also in this zip and near downtown, it still has a lot of problems and crime due to transients and vagrants moving through the area, and I would not live there again, especially with the prices they are asking now.

I think Golden Gate would be a lovely place to live, JMO.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:21 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My opinion is that Golden Gate is absolutely fine and safe - it's far enough away from problem areas and kind of self contained I would stay out of Gillespie Park at all costs. Despite what people think about the "charm" of Laurel Park, also in this zip and near downtown, it still has a lot of problems and crime due to transients and vagrants moving through the area, and I would not live there again, especially with the prices they are asking now.

I think Golden Gate would be a lovely place to live, JMO.
Golden Gate Point... you'll be safe... I live in Laurel Park....pretty safe also...but as mentioned their is the transient problem...but the whole city and state have higher crime rates because of neighbors continually flipping like houses.... no stability...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area