Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:17 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times

Advertisements

For any animal lovers out there, there is a wonderful wolf sanctuary we found to visit in Naples. The volunteers and owners there do an amazing job and save a lot of wolves and wolf dogs from otherwise being distroyed; alot of the cases are rescues that have been cruelty cases including embedded collars, abaondoned, startved and beaten. Despite their terrible treatment, these Wolves & Wolf dogs still love humans.

It is one of the only places where you can actually interact with some of them. It was an amazing experience and I wanted to post some photos for you all to see and to raise awareness for them as they they are a registered charity and rely heavily on donations.

They also save a couple of other animals including large cats and some foxes including a stunning Artic fox who has his own air conditioning!

For any of you wanting to check out their website google Shy Wolf sanctuary. It is well worth a visit if you are an animal lover. We will certainly go back again
Enoy!

Mrs S.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Mellonz/IMG_4133.jpg (broken link)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Mellonz/IMG_4152.jpg (broken link)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Mellonz/IMG_4177.jpg (broken link)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Mellonz/IMG_4148.jpg (broken link)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Mellonz/IMG_4147.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:29 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Those photos are amazing! You take such great pics. I'm gonna have to bring the girls down there to check it out. Looks like a really cool place to visit

Old 05-24-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Those photos are amazing! You take such great pics. I'm gonna have to bring the girls down there to check it out. Looks like a really cool place to visit
Thank you! I think the girls would love it there! They have some really cute prairie dogs there too which we got to stroke

Old 05-24-2009, 09:30 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Hey Mrs S.

Great photos! I posted once, but something happened, and it did'nt show up so I applogies in advance if it does later, and I've somehow repeated my self!

Weren't you a little scared? You are pretty brave going muzzle to muzzle with a wolf like that! But after being married to a wolf like Pete, You must be pretty brave anyhow! I haven't seen much that scares me more than Pete after a couple glasses of wine! {just kidding Pete}
{not really Mrs. S} LOL

Really awesome pictures, what a great experience. You guys have really made the most out of your trip! I'm sorry I missed you guys, but we will definitely be there upon your next return! I bet your dad loved it and will want to return soon as well!

I'm going to have to brush up on my photography after seeing these pictures!

Fly safe, and return soon. I know you are either back home now, or on your way shortly.

Miss you guys!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:50 AM

JB, yes we are back here in England and already missing 'home'. Mels Dad loved Florida and istalking about going back !
being in with the wolves was awesome -just a little scary but they are beautiful animals.

one funny thing-the one i am stroking -Bear- always demonstrates which human in the group was his favourite with a particular act. just after we left his cage he peed all over the bench i was sat on.

SO I was very nearly Wolf **** to your Manatee crap !!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
JB, yes we are back here in England and already missing 'home'. Mels Dad loved Florida and istalking about going back !
being in with the wolves was awesome -just a little scary but they are beautiful animals.

one funny thing-the one i am stroking -Bear- always demonstrates which human in the group was his favourite with a particular act. just after we left his cage he peed all over the bench i was sat on.

SO I was very nearly Wolf **** to your Manatee crap !!
Great Story! If he got you, then you'd belong to him!

You guys had a great trip! Awesome pictures. Did you take them?

Old 05-24-2009, 12:58 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post

Great photos! I posted once, but something happened, and it did'nt show up so I applogies in advance if it does later, and I've somehow repeated my self!
My post disappeared as well--it had been there for awhile, don't know what happened.
I'll try not to repeat myself. Those are indeed beautiful photos.
One of the things that I had said was that I was interested in Shy Wolf's Montana, the red wolf (native to the southeast, but a very endangered species.) The Shy Wolf site mentions that St Vincent's Island, off the Gulf coast at the Panhandle, has a breeding pack there. I was able to visit, but of course saw no wolves--they are quite wild. But as I mentioned in the phantom post, I have met them before.
One of the things I've noticed about wolves and some wolf-hybrids is how *quiet* they are.
Unlike most domestic dogs, they simply don't make a whole lot of noise.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
My post disappeared as well--it had been there for awhile, don't know what happened.
I'll try not to repeat myself. One of the things that I had said was that I was interested in Shy Wolf's Montana, the red wolf (native to the southeast, but a very endangered species.)
Yeah, I don't know what happened, it was there one minute and gone the next. There wasn't any reason for it that I can tell.

I definitely want to check out that sanctuary they have for them as well.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:02 PM

92 posts, read 349,431 times
Hmmm...

The photos actually seem soft and underexposed.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Hey Mrs S.
Great photos! I posted once, but something happened, and it did'nt show up so I applogies in advance if it does later, and I've somehow repeated my self! Weren't you a little scared? You are pretty brave going muzzle to muzzle with a wolf like that! But after being married to a wolf like Pete, You must be pretty brave anyhow! I haven't seen much that scares me more than Pete after a couple glasses of wine! {just kidding Pete}
{not really Mrs. S} LOL Really awesome pictures, what a great experience. You guys have really made the most out of your trip! I'm sorry I missed you guys, but we will definitely be there upon your next return! I bet your dad loved it and will want to return soon as well! I'm going to have to brush up on my photography after seeing these pictures! Fly safe, and return soon. I know you are either back home now, or on your way shortly. Miss you guys!
LOL Big House, I would rather kiss a wolf anyday!!!
Really sorry we didn't see you on this visit, must make sure we are able to hook up next time
Mrs S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area