Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 AM

27 posts, read 56,324 times

Advertisements

We are also moving to NP in little over a month. Purchased a house down there just after Thanksgiving. Retirement in two days then goodbye PA forever. Unbelievable how much "stuff" you collect after 33 years in the same house. Rented a dumpster (recommended) and the junk really piles up. The excitement builds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:41 AM

69 posts, read 271,863 times
Congratulations to you, too, topdog. We're going down to look at houses next week--I'm sorry the buyers' market isn't as good as it had been. It will be just a winter home at first. (We're from western PA, too, but not sure I can handle the Florida summers just yet )
Marcia

Old 05-31-2009, 07:33 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,295,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Im going through the exact same thing with my soon to be relocation to Texas. Good luck !

Ryan,
You decided on TX instead of FL? Where about in TX are you going? We had seriously looked at the Austin area.

I love Texas

Good luck!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:35 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,295,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog352 View Post
We are also moving to NP in little over a month. Purchased a house down there just after Thanksgiving. Retirement in two days then goodbye PA forever. Unbelievable how much "stuff" you collect after 33 years in the same house. Rented a dumpster (recommended) and the junk really piles up. The excitement builds.

WOW! Congrats! What an exciting time for you! I am sure once you leave PA you will bever look back

Come on down! The weather is great

Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,080,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Ryan,
You decided on TX instead of FL? Where about in TX are you going? We had seriously looked at the Austin area.

I love Texas

Good luck!
Jenny, you made the right choice choosing Florida, You just gotta check out PGI! Oh, and you can't grow tomatoes in TX either, so you can check that one off the list of reasons to try there! LOL

So, Jenny your a shrewed investor. . . did you buy any good GM stock lately?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 AM

mylittleguy,
According to my calendar you ought to be here, or just about here.
I hope you check in and let us know how you made out with your move.
Good Luck!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:45 PM

191 posts, read 665,551 times
I was thinking of going back down to florida next week myself to look in Northport and sarasota. I would like to know more about the area as far as kids activities...........shopping .......elderly activities.........dog groups or parks for dogs...........and any issues with safety and chinese drywall that anyone may be aware of in these newer homes.

I appriciate your help.

Debbie

Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
I was thinking of going back down to florida next week myself to look in Northport and sarasota. I would like to know more about the area as far as kids activities...........shopping .......elderly activities.........dog groups or parks for dogs...........and any issues with safety and chinese drywall that anyone may be aware of in these newer homes.

I appriciate your help.

Debbie
SoFLGal is our expert here on Northport, and Sarasota, too. Sarasota is very dog friendly - we have great shopping - what kind of shopping in particular were you interested in? We have all the BEST as far as food and grocery shopping, a couple nice malls, and plenty of shopping up on University Parkway. There is also downtown and St. Armand's Circle. Not sure what is available in Northport. The issue with the Chinese drywall is in the newer homes built in the last several years. Any home you are interested in you would want to have tested.

Hope this helps, and hopefully SoFlGal will chime in for you about Northport. This is a great area to live, great quality of life, the only issue will be if you need employment.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:

I appriciate your help.

Debbie

All newer homes don't have it either. A good inspection should show you the symptoms if chinese drywall exists in the home you are looking to purchase. The signs that show chinese drywall are pretty prominent. It was used for a couple years here, so there are many many many homes that don't have it. You just need to have a good inspection and you should be fine. Especially if you are looking in a newer home. If Chinese drywall was used in a newer home you can be pretty sure it was used throughout, because they stock all the drywall at once just before they get ready to hang it.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,911,110 times
Quote:

I appriciate your help.

Debbie
There's lots of things for the kids to do-NP Youth Soccer, Baseball, Pop Warner Football, gymnastics, a skate park, stuff at the library going on. Just depends on what your son is into.

Shopping-well we have your typical WalMart, Home Depot, etc but for any kind of clothes shopping you would go to Port Charlotte Town Center Mall, 10 minutes away. Or to the north 40 mintues to Sarasota Square Mall.

Elderly activities-Warm Mineral Springs is 5 minutes from NP and a popular thing for the elderly, there's also bridge night, art activities, etc. Check with the library on the schedule.

Dog parks would be-Woodmere Dog Park in Venice or Brossard Dog Beach in Venice or to the south of us The Henry Street Dog Park in downtown Punta Gorda.

Ah yes, the Chinese drywall question. Any home could have Chinese drywall. If it's new it could have it and if it's old and was remodeled it could have it. Like BH pointed out, the best you can do is get a good inspector to check for it. There are things (signs) to look for-blackening of the copper wire in the electrical outlets, blackening of the electrical coils in the A/C, the words made in China stamped on the back of the drywall if you poke around up in the attic.

Good luck with your move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area