Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,093,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
Have you ever been to Detroit?
I'm from Motown. I heard the plan was to turn the desolated and burned out areas back to farmland...in LWR, it will just return to swamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 06:05 AM

20 posts, read 40,954 times
It seems like many on these forums dislike LWR. We live just north of LWR. Main Street, while not somewhere we frequent, is a nice clean place to enjoy an evening. Sterile? Maybe. I guess I'm a freak for liking a clean "suburban" feel. For those who say the area is an empty wasteland of foreclosures.... You might want to go to Music on Main tomorrow night. Last month, it was PACKED and there was all kinds of activity.

I'm sure some areas are worse than others. My suspicion is this has to do with when the houses were built. I remember last fall when we were shopping... It seemed that there was an entire street in Panther Ridge that was either vacant or actively for sale. Yet most of the neighborhood was normal. I believe that street was developed at the very peak of the market. If you look at the foreclosures in LWR, it's probably similar. I know there are a few vacant places in our neighborhood too. It's just the natural result of what happened in the market. I'm not sure I blame people for walking away from mortgages at twice the market value of their house. If you pay attention though, there is no lack of buyers for these homes once the banks decide to sell them.

I think it's far from requiring a razing... Just my 2 cents, tho. ;-)

Old 05-07-2010, 03:15 PM

169 posts, read 395,041 times
I have to disagree.We live in a community that borders LWR and it seems to me Main St LWR,is deserted,most of the high priced unrealistic stores have gone out of business.First Fridays of the month are the only times you see people.It could really be a great place but it needs to get real and be a true Main St.
The Oilery,now how realistic is that.My Husband and I had two small ice cream cones on Main St tand they were small and it was $8+/Crazy.

That said. For myself,I love being away from it all,the wildlife etc.. Had all the business up North,peaceful is nice. Love the cleanliness of the place.Things are only 20mins away.I feel it is a privilidge to be away from the crowd. Just me.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:18 AM

473 posts, read 1,163,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I'm from Motown. I heard the plan was to turn the desolated and burned out areas back to farmland...in LWR, it will just return to swamp.
lol the thing in Detroit is the suburbs are beautiful while the city area looks like a bombed out eastern europe location.

LWR had a strong appeal to us due to the cosmetic beauty of the place and the houses. We have discovered however over the last year that the people that live there are a little on the high falutin snobby side for our liking. Not all, but enough to make feel us uncomfortable thinking of how they would be looking at me as I pop my trunk and take out my cases of beer for the weekend!
Our last trip we ate outside one morning at First Watch in LWR and the people we had a conversation with, well I'm not sure how to say this but they were definitely better than us They are the type of people I would not want for neighbors. Take that and throw in the HOA Nazis there and we have effectively crossed LWR off of our list. We are thinking we can get a lot of what LWR offers but without nearly the level of snottiness by looking in Palmer Ranch. At least thats the vibe we get right now.
Would anyone care to confirm that or would we be looking at a high snob factor there also? If you say yes I gotta say that so far in our trips we dont see it there.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 AM

11 posts, read 50,216 times
We've been living in LWR for 2 years now and love it. While some of the shops on Main Street are kinds lame, there are many good ones that stay busy...especially the restaurants. Little Bookworms is a spectacular bookstore for kids that we are lucky to have. The mens barber place is great. The movie theater is cheap, nice, and serves wine. The Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings is a lot of fun.

True, there are some empty houses, but the area is still growing and Florida is one of the fastest growing states. As the economy starts turning around, things will start filling back up. There is only one empty house on my street of around 30.

I haven't run into too much snobbery. The people near us are nice and friendly. Maybe those people at First Watch weren't from LWR? Still, you'll find some snobby people everywhere.

Great place to live with a family!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:33 PM

169 posts, read 395,041 times
Dig,
I agree LWR aren't snobby people at all from those I have met and I know a lot of people from there.
Just saying Main St is too far out there.I am sure it would get a lot of shoppers if they didn't have those ridiculous pricy shops.
The Barber Shop,in my opinion is very high end.Esp.in these times.
It is more the type of Barber Shop to be found in a high priced hotel that caters to Busines men.

As you, I have found a lot of people bash LWR but I think many wish they could afford to live there.
Sour Grapes.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:47 PM

473 posts, read 1,163,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaa View Post
Dig,
I agree LWR aren't snobby people at all from those I have met and I know a lot of people from there.
Just saying Main St is too far out there.I am sure it would get a lot of shoppers if they didn't have those ridiculous pricy shops.
The Barber Shop,in my opinion is very high end.Esp.in these times.
It is more the type of Barber Shop to be found in a high priced hotel that caters to Busines men.

As you, I have found a lot of people bash LWR but I think many wish they could afford to live there.
Sour Grapes.

Well I certainly dont mean to bash anyone but it is what it is to me. We wanted to live there but have seen and heard too many things to steer us in another direction thats all.
I told someone recently here's the deal for me. I go and tailgate at Buffalo Bills football games. They in LWR go and do their version of tailgating at at their polo field. If you understand the nature of tailgating at a Bills game and then can imagine doing the same at a polo match well, I think I don't need to say more. But bear in mind I was actually looking forward to trying it at the polo grounds and Im sure I still will. But rest assured it is a different idea altogether and theres nothing wrong with that.
Just the obvious comfort factor will not be there. You know there wont be some lug head weaing a hard hat and and apron manning the grill and cooler under the tent. Nay it shall be a guy named Bif operating the wine and cheese spread on the blanket in the trunk of the Bimmer. What the hell was i even thinking? Lol

Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 AM

385 posts, read 1,155,036 times
I think LWR gets a bad rap. I too had some preconceived notions, but I have been spent a whole lot of time up there the last year and a half. My son goes to school in LWR, I drive all the way up to 70 everyday. I do a lot of shopping up there on University, I work out once in a while at the LWR Y, and I spend a lot of time with my son at the parks after school, though now it is getting to hot for that. I have met so many people that live there and they have all been truly friendly. I have ran into some playground snobbery with a few moms and it's something to laugh about because none of them are from Florida and had recently (within a year or so) moved down to LWR. I think because LWR is such a step up from where they were, they think so highly of it. I'm sure that's got to wear off after time, I would hope!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:36 AM

41 posts, read 134,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
lol the thing in Detroit is the suburbs are beautiful while the city area looks like a bombed out eastern europe location.

LWR had a strong appeal to us due to the cosmetic beauty of the place and the houses. We have discovered however over the last year that the people that live there are a little on the high falutin snobby side for our liking. Not all, but enough to make feel us uncomfortable thinking of how they would be looking at me as I pop my trunk and take out my cases of beer for the weekend!
Our last trip we ate outside one morning at First Watch in LWR and the people we had a conversation with, well I'm not sure how to say this but they were definitely better than us They are the type of people I would not want for neighbors. Take that and throw in the HOA Nazis there and we have effectively crossed LWR off of our list. We are thinking we can get a lot of what LWR offers but without nearly the level of snottiness by looking in Palmer Ranch. At least thats the vibe we get right now.
Would anyone care to confirm that or would we be looking at a high snob factor there also? If you say yes I gotta say that so far in our trips we dont see it there.
Yeah, I like the snob factor though. In my experience, having lived in several large cities, if the snob factor is high, the real estate values with maintain high. JMO.
The only thing I dislike about LWR is how far out it is and the fact it's so close to Bradenton.
It all depends on what you are looking for. I'd rent first, get a feel for the area and then buy. Again, JMO.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:45 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,839,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowWhere View Post
Yeah, I like the snob factor though. In my experience, having lived in several large cities, if the snob factor is high, the real estate values with maintain high. JMO.
The only thing I dislike about LWR is how far out it is and the fact it's so close to Bradenton.
It all depends on what you are looking for. I'd rent first, get a feel for the area and then buy. Again, JMO.
If you're looking for the snob factor then I think your first choice of the Palm Beach area would be perfect-Lots of shopping, bling jewelery, fancy cars, plastic surgery and keeping up with the Jones'. Of course it's not all that way but much more so than the west coast of Florida.

The more I hear you talk the more I think the Sarasota/Bradenton area is just too laid back for you. Just trying to be honest with you but I think if you're coming to Florida both areas are worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area