Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Find living on the west coast of Florida gay friendly?
A: Not at All 4 28.57%
B: Somewhat 4 28.57%
C: Very 4 28.57%
D: Definitly 2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 PM

491 posts, read 925,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
And another thing, there are plenty of straight doctors here that are caring and professional. I think that it is wrong that you are trying to find a doctor just because they are gay. You need to find a doctor that has good ratings, that is professional, friendly, caring. You shouldn't base anything on rather the person is gay or not. That is sad.
The only thing here that's sad is the insensitivity displayed on this thread. Unless you are gay yourself, you could not possibly begin to understand the factors a gay or lesbian must assess when approaching simple everyday things that a heterosexual would take for granted. To reproach this person and say that they are "wrong" just demonstrates your ignorance and judgment, which, although I find it appalling, I do not find it in the least bit surprising.

Frankly, I'd much rather visit a qualified gay or lesbian doctor than a heterosexual one. It's a preference, based on the fact that the US is still extremely hostile toward the presence of gays and lesbians. Until you understand that reality, you won't understand the need for gays and lesbians to find their own kind in an unjust, prejudicial world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,730,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
The only thing here that's sad is the insensitivity displayed on this thread. Unless you are gay yourself, you could not possibly begin to understand the factors a gay or lesbian must assess when approaching simple everyday things that a heterosexual would take for granted. To reproach this person and say that they are "wrong" just demonstrates your ignorance and judgment, which, although I find it appalling, I do not find it in the least bit surprising.

Frankly, I'd much rather visit a qualified gay or lesbian doctor than a heterosexual one. It's a preference, based on the fact that the US is still extremely hostile toward the presence of gays and lesbians. Until you understand that reality, you won't understand the need for gays and lesbians to find their own kind in an unjust, prejudicial world.
I have NO problems with gay or lesbian people whatsoever, however, I do find this thread to be questionable. A doctor is a doctor, they all have their standards, and so not treat a patient with an less regard just because they are gay or lesbian. I could care less if a doctor is gay or lesbian, I would still go to him, but for the OP do be searching ONLY for a gay or lesbian doctor is sad to me, because there are PLENTY of good straight doctors out there, and be him/her singling out ONLY gay or lesbian doctors, that person is taking away a good portion of doctors, and a lot of them are good doctors. All I say is that the OP talk to ALL doctors, rather they are gay or lesbian or straight, and see if they like her/her as a doctor. Go by FEELING, not by sexual orientation or sexual preference.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 PM

360 posts, read 1,909,182 times
I think a good doctor is a good doctor and good healthcare is good healthcare. It shouldn't matter what "preference" your doctor likes and what he/she does in their bedroom. Really now, who walks into an office and asks such personal questions about someone?? To ask such a thing would be WAY out of line and rude and embarrassing. I think this entire subject is stupid. A doctor cares for everyone as a person/human being, not based on what/who you do in bed.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:27 PM

We all have the same bodies and ailments in life and last I checked, sickness doesn't discriminate against anyone whether you're gay, straight, man, woman, whatever.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
I have NO problems with gay or lesbian people whatsoever, however, I do find this thread to be questionable. A doctor is a doctor, they all have their standards, and so not treat a patient with an less regard just because they are gay or lesbian. I could care less if a doctor is gay or lesbian, I would still go to him, but for the OP do be searching ONLY for a gay or lesbian doctor is sad to me, because there are PLENTY of good straight doctors out there, and be him/her singling out ONLY gay or lesbian doctors, that person is taking away a good portion of doctors, and a lot of them are good doctors. All I say is that the OP talk to ALL doctors, rather they are gay or lesbian or straight, and see if they like her/her as a doctor. Go by FEELING, not by sexual orientation or sexual preference.
Well, that is the OP's preference. Again, you may not understand it, but for you to decry the OP is wrong. I support the OP's decision and I understand why he may want to seek a gay doctor/medical professional.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
I think a good doctor is a good doctor and good healthcare is good healthcare. It shouldn't matter what "preference" your doctor likes and what he/she does in their bedroom. Really now, who walks into an office and asks such personal questions about someone?? To ask such a thing would be WAY out of line and rude and embarrassing. I think this entire subject is stupid. A doctor cares for everyone as a person/human being, not based on what/who you do in bed.
It's not a "preference," it's ORIENTATION. And you wonder why the OP wants a gay doctor.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
It's not a "preference," it's ORIENTATION. And you wonder why the OP wants a gay doctor.
Well if you do your homework, you'd know I'm the last person you need to explain what being gay is. And when I said "preference" I meant whatever they (doctors) chose to do in the privacy of their own bedrooms, is their own business. What's it matter when he's going over with you those important Xrays? I still find this whole thing stupid.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Well if you do your homework, you'd know I'm the last person you need to explain what being gay is. And when I said "preference" I meant whatever they (doctors) chose to do in the privacy of their own bedrooms, is their own business. What's it matter when he's going over with you those important Xrays? I still find this whole thing stupid.
I don't care what you find stupid. And I knew exactly what you meant by "preference," so don't try and backtrack like I didn't know what you were implying.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:10 AM

No backtracking at all, I meant it exactly how I said. The point is, most, including me, have found this entire thread quite stupid and pointless. A good doctor sees and treats everyone as a PERSON, a HUMAN BEING, not by what you do in your private life. There isn't any other health issue a gay person might get or a sexual question we might have, that any other STRAIGHT person might have or inquire about. We are ALL people who want to stay well or who might get sick and need treatment. Doctors see and treat us all and our bodies as breathing human beings, not by our sexual orientation. It's not like we need special treatment or anything. Well is well. Sick is sick. Same for anyone, male or female, gay or straight. End of discussion really.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
No backtracking at all, I meant it exactly how I said. The point is, most, including me, have found this entire thread quite stupid and pointless. A good doctor sees and treats everyone as a PERSON, a HUMAN BEING, not by what you do in your private life. There isn't any other health issue a gay person might get or a sexual question we might have, that any other STRAIGHT person might have or inquire about. We are ALL people who want to stay well or who might get sick and need treatment. Doctors see and treat us all and our bodies as breathing human beings, not by our sexual orientation. It's not like we need special treatment or anything. Well is well. Sick is sick. Same for anyone, male or female, gay or straight. End of discussion really.
I disagree and support the OP. I hope he/she finds the gay doctor that is right for him/her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area