U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM

5,735 posts, read 8,335,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I feel for you ZaraZote (yes, I have my own account finally). We've come to realize we too won't get out of the cold MidWest for quite awhile, but we were never as close to accomplishing it as you were, so I know you're way more disappointed than us. Sorry. :-(
Whatchu talkin 'bout Willis!?! Sell all Ur crap, and get down here - where it's getting better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 03:42 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,493,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Whatchu talkin 'bout Willis!?! Sell all Ur crap, and get down here - where it's getting better.
Well....we have these pesky things called "jobs".
Although from the size of mr.cool's check last month (he's strictly commission), we might as well give it up!! or at least him...I told him he can move, I'll keep my job and I'll come and visit him every weekend!!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Well....we have these pesky things called "jobs".
Although from the size of mr.cool's check last month (he's strictly commission), we might as well give it up!! or at least him...I told him he can move, I'll keep my job and I'll come and visit him every weekend!!
Now your talking! That is a better idea. One step at a time! But ya gotta put one foot out there.

And getting his smelly feet outta the house may be a good thing! Check that - A great thing! Plus the air will be 100 times clearer!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 4 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,016,902 times
I use to spend my life wishing it away. I knew that things would just be better if I got that job, moved to the coast, bought that car...

Then one day I realized that life was marching on while I spent most of my time pining for what was going to be. I finally saw that my life, my authentic life, was NOW. Right here under my nose is my daughter, a blessing I never deserved but got anyway. Right here is my husband that has grown into a man that would do anything for me. Right here is a beautiful house, a beautiful garden, a beautiful rose.

My life is NOW and it is wonderful.

Have ambitions, dreams, but don't waste your life wishing for things that may or never be. Tomorrow I may die. Did I see the beauty of the rose? My daughter? My husband? My astounding, wonderful life?

Today is a gift. Unwrap it and relish it. Don't let it go...

Best wishes, my friends.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I use to spend my life wishing it away. I knew that things would just be better if I got that job, moved to the coast, bought that car...

Then one day I realized that life was marching on while I spent most of my time pining for what was going to be. I finally saw that my life, my authentic life, was NOW. Right here under my nose is my daughter, a blessing I never deserved but got anyway. Right here is my husband that has grown into a man that would do anything for me. Right here is a beautiful house, a beautiful garden, a beautiful rose.

My life is NOW and it is wonderful.

Have ambitions, dreams, but don't waste your life wishing for things that may or never be. Tomorrow I may die. Did I see the beauty of the rose? My daughter? My husband? My astounding, wonderful life?

Today is a gift. Unwrap it and relish it. Don't let it go...

Best wishes, my friends.
Very True! Only you can make you happy! You can be miserable, if you just rely on others, or other things, to make you happy. But, if you make up your mind that you want to do something, and you let really trivial things deter you - like a job, like selling your house short, like dealing with what others want or expect, then you will regret that - for years. You came into the world with nothing, you're going to leave with nothing. You may have some windfalls come your way, you may have some set-backs as well - get on with it. Go after what you want. You're always going to be ahead of the game - until the day you stop breathing. And, always appreciate THAT.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 4 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,016,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Very True! Only you can make you happy! You can be miserable, if you just rely on others, or other things, to make you happy. But, if you make up your mind that you want to do something, and you let really trivial things deter you - like a job, like selling your house short, like dealing with what others want or expect, then you will regret that - for years. You came into the world with nothing, you're going to leave with nothing. You may have some windfalls come your way, you may have some set-backs as well - get on with it. Go after what you want. You're always going to be ahead of the game - until the day you stop breathing. And, always appreciate THAT.
That's true, too. Do what you love.

Last year, my husband's business kind of dried up at one point. Unfortunately, I had just started school. At that point, I could have, and some people probably thought that I should have, gone back to my corporate job.

I considered it. But then I realized that the last time I had really been happy was when I had a career that I truly loved. That was 15 years ago. I said, no, I am not going back to that job. I hate this career path that I took and I can't do it anymore. So I didn't. Smack dab in the middle of this crazy recession I took an enormous chance.

It was one of the smartest things I have ever done.

Don't throw caution to the wind, though. I also had crunched the numbers and analyzed it to death. I knew that if I took the safe path I was going back to drudgery and finite possibilities. But if I took the harder route, even though on the surface it looked like a ridiculous move, I could have a very large payoff.

Frankly, the returns have been spectacularly good on multiple levels.

Like BH says, in the end, you die with nothing, might as well enjoy yourself while you can. But please remember that half the fun is the journey getting there.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:22 AM

507 posts, read 687,633 times
Hey hiknapster, hope all is well, good advice. I'm only sharing a portion of myself on here, really the part that relates to moving down there. My family and I are still so very thankful for what we do have, and find ways to get the stress out. I just took my family to the amusement park the other day and I'm also getting everyone ready for a week off at the cabin in Wisconsin too.

But in general, I believe while these things are important to do, its not what life is about, and I don't go around with the attitude that I should do everything I can to get the most out of life. This life is nothing compared to what's ahead, and I can't wait for this one to be done.

If you sense that I'm a total downer again lately, please know its the topic and not the person. I have been learning a lot through this but one thing I do know is I'm ok. Take care!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,493,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaraZoteBuccaneer View Post
Hey hiknapster, hope all is well, good advice. I'm only sharing a portion of myself on here, really the part that relates to moving down there. My family and I are still so very thankful for what we do have, and find ways to get the stress out. I just took my family to the amusement park the other day and I'm also getting everyone ready for a week off at the cabin in Wisconsin too.

But in general, I believe while these things are important to do, its not what life is about, and I don't go around with the attitude that I should do everything I can to get the most out of life. This life is nothing compared to what's ahead, and I can't wait for this one to be done.

If you sense that I'm a total downer again lately, please know its the topic and not the person. I have been learning a lot through this but one thing I do know is I'm ok. Take care!
Where are you going in Wisconsin?

Old 10-01-2010, 10:19 PM

507 posts, read 687,633 times
Mrs Cool, sorry to take so long responding. I might have responded in a private message, I really don't remember. We have a place up near Harshaw, just north of Tomahawk.

Anyway, feel like updating a bit. My wife is acing classes, will be ready to apply to med school in 8-12 months. My kids are finally going to the school I helped start. They moved my two oldest up in reading classes and my son joined the gifted program. Sorry to brag, its my right as a parent. I'm glad they mix the grades for math and reading.

We have had some tense moments. The school does give a lot of homework and they are being challenged more. It's so good for them but hard to get used to. Our hardest part is with my wife. As she holds down her work on weekends and has her own homework to do, she wants to help but can't and gets frustrated. Life is different now. I'm also the primary caregiver.

PS, the market in my city is dead.

We also might have another opportunity to go to Florida again this winter! It might be near boca raton though. I would be making the trip with my buddy from work, my family and his fiance, and this is the guy who set me up with his friend with the condo in Sarasota in the first place. I'll drop a line again if it all happens.

Well, birthdays, holidays and winter are all coming quickly got us. Take care and safe travels to all headed south this year. I hope to pick the dream of moving to 'home' back up someday soon.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:25 AM

6,778 posts, read 12,880,934 times
So glad to hear from you again. Glad things are going better for you. You take care of those beautiful girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaraZoteBuccaneer View Post
Mrs Cool, sorry to take so long responding. I might have responded in a private message, I really don't remember. We have a place up near Harshaw, just north of Tomahawk.

Anyway, feel like updating a bit. My wife is acing classes, will be ready to apply to med school in 8-12 months. My kids are finally going to the school I helped start. They moved my two oldest up in reading classes and my son joined the gifted program. Sorry to brag, its my right as a parent. I'm glad they mix the grades for math and reading.

We have had some tense moments. The school does give a lot of homework and they are being challenged more. It's so good for them but hard to get used to. Our hardest part is with my wife. As she holds down her work on weekends and has her own homework to do, she wants to help but can't and gets frustrated. Life is different now. I'm also the primary caregiver.

PS, the market in my city is dead.

We also might have another opportunity to go to Florida again this winter! It might be near boca raton though. I would be making the trip with my buddy from work, my family and his fiance, and this is the guy who set me up with his friend with the condo in Sarasota in the first place. I'll drop a line again if it all happens.

Well, birthdays, holidays and winter are all coming quickly got us. Take care and safe travels to all headed south this year. I hope to pick the dream of moving to 'home' back up someday soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area