Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 PM

59 posts, read 164,524 times

Advertisements

We're coming down 7/18-22 to look for jobs and a place to stay, somewhere between Bradenton and north Venice. We are transplanting from north metro Atlanta down there to finish up our bachelors' after years away from school. We are both veteran hospitality industry workers with management experience who are just looking to find jobs to subsist on for 3 years (bartending, serving). We currently own, and will rent for the first 6 months to a year we live down there-maybe while looking to move our equity into the market down there. My question is...-coming down in the offseason, what are we going to find in relation to how a restaurant's business is during late July, compared to what income we might make in the winter and spring? This is a scout trip for us, and we would like to go ahead with a lease on the right place. We would like to live close to where we work, so this translates directly into where we might look for an abode-any suggestions, recommendations or must-do's? We will be staying on Lido.

Last edited by snivlem; 06-10-2009 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:18 AM

93 posts, read 192,133 times
Default Hi!

welcome...i just moved down here 2 weeks ago...if my husband didn't have employment secured before we moved we would not have done it. He's a specialized RN...I, on the other hand have been feverishly handing out resumes left and right to no avail. My trade is as an EMT, but I have always supplemented our income with some type of service job (a fine dining server at a country club where we came from, red lobster, mom and pop diners) and literally NO ONE is hiring right now. I am joking with my friends back up north that unless you are an R.N, or an M.D. or something highly specialized, you are pretty much screwed. I don't mean to be nagative, but luckily you re coming down to visit before you make the move. I wish you ALL the luck in finding a job, I hope you can becasue it's so beautiful and a much different way of life down here, but if you are counting on a job in the service industry then be prepared to not even fill out applications, no one is even accepting them.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I would have to agree with mylittleguy. The job situation is pretty bad right now and then add to it that it's summer time and that even makes the situation worse. I have a friend that works at Publix in North Port and said that they have over 3,000 applications.

I would start by trying some of your more touristy destinations like St. Armand's Circle or Siesta Key. It seems as though there business drops down in the summer but not quite as much as other areas. You might also want to try Longboat Key.

Longboat Key ideas:
Mar Vista Restaurant
Euphemia Haye Restaurant
Dry Dock Waterfront Grill
PattiGeorge's Restaurant
Poseidon
Longboat Key Hilton
Chart House
Harry's Kitchen
Moore's Stone Crab Restaurant

St Armand's Circle Restaurants:
The Columbia
Crab & Fin
Tommy Bahamas
Cha Cha Coconuts
Blue Dolphin Café
Café L'Europe
Christopher's
Hemingway's
The Hungary Fox
Lynch's Pub
Margarita Mateo's
Panificio on the Circle
Ristorante Le Colonne

Siesta Key Ideas:
Maduro's Cigar Lounge and Bar
Daiquiri Deck
Siesta Key Oyster Bar
Javier's
Tuttle's
Ophelia's on the Bay
Gilligan's
Fleming's
Jo-To's
Bamboo Bistro
The Old Salty Dog

I'm sure I forgot some but that should get you started. I'd just work up and down the keys and maybe go down Main St in Sarasota.

Let us know how you make out

Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Nice list!!!

Much luck to you; my opinion, Siesta Key, first & then Lido. None of us can emphasize the amount of positions available vs. the hundreds of unemployed applicants grasping for straws. Make sure you have enough for first, security, last & at least a year's worth of income to live on, you'll need it.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 AM

59 posts, read 164,524 times
Thanks, The list is exactly what I was looking for. We understand the job market is horrible, and we are doing our best to be prepared for it. When does the "season" start? Oct., Nov.?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snivlem View Post
Thanks, The list is exactly what I was looking for. We understand the job market is horrible, and we are doing our best to be prepared for it. When does the "season" start? Oct., Nov.?
Usually right after Thanksgiving but it often doesn't get crankin' til around January and then they go back after Easter in April.

On another note, my ex worked for Euphemia Haye for over 10 yrs, Ray and Darcie Arpke. They're good people to work for and have lived out on Longboat since I was a kid (over 35 years). I would say that the restaurant is pretty stable. Their food and drinks are pretty pricey so you could make some good tips. If you could get in there you'd probably do well.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:30 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Season begins Nov. 1st., however, it's drips & drabs as people are in & out due to the holidays between Turkey Day & New Year's. Real season is Jan. 1st. through Easter.

After the 4th of July, it's pretty much DEAD.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:02 PM

128 posts, read 338,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletyguy View Post
welcome...i just moved down here 2 weeks ago...if my husband didn't have employment secured before we moved we would not have done it. He's a specialized RN...I, on the other hand have been feverishly handing out resumes left and right to no avail. My trade is as an EMT, but I have always supplemented our income with some type of service job (a fine dining server at a country club where we came from, red lobster, mom and pop diners) and literally NO ONE is hiring right now. I am joking with my friends back up north that unless you are an R.N, or an M.D. or something highly specialized, you are pretty much screwed. I don't mean to be nagative, but luckily you re coming down to visit before you make the move. I wish you ALL the luck in finding a job, I hope you can becasue it's so beautiful and a much different way of life down here, but if you are counting on a job in the service industry then be prepared to not even fill out applications, no one is even accepting them.

I'm headed down next month. I'm an RN- I've done med/surg,psych,ER and also correctional nursing. I've touched base with Port Charlotte Regional and told that positions are available. Hope I land one.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:30 AM

93 posts, read 192,133 times
luvfishing...you shouldn't have too much of a problem...my husband is a CVRN and he had 3 offers in less then a week...that's what brought us down here.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
We're coming down 7/18-22 to look for jobs and a place to stay, somewhere between Bradenton and north Venice. We are transplanting from north metro Atlanta down there to finish up our bachelors' after years away from school. We are both veteran hospitality industry workers with management experience who are just looking to find jobs to subsist on for 3 years (bartending, serving). We currently own, and will rent for the first 6 months to a year we live down there-maybe while looking to move our equity into the market down there. My question is...-coming down in the offseason, what are we going to find in relation to how a restaurant's business is during late July, compared to what income we might make in the winter and spring? This is a scout trip for us, and we would like to go ahead with a lease on the right place. We would like to live close to where we work, so this translates directly into where we might look for an abode-any suggestions, recommendations or must-do's? We will be staying on Lido.
Hi Snivlem, I remember your post from before. SoFLGal has given you a good list - I would try a lot of those places. As I recommended in my earlier post to you, I believe the more touristy restaurants especially out on St. Armands' are your best bet. St. Armands is always fairly busy, and a few of those restaurants have been there for decades. I don't think you will have much luck downtown, those places can barely stay open, they do OK in season, but at this time they are fairly dead, same with those in shopping plazas.

There is another place up near me called "Anna Maria Oyster Bar" - they have 3 locations in the area, and it seems there are always new people working there, so you might try that one. They stay busy because their prices (and food) are great, and they have a busy bar area. They fact that you are an experienced bartender may give you an edge when applying for jobs at any of these places. Oh, I almost forgot - Bonefish Grill is another place to try - very popular, they always have business and there are 3 in the area (the best one is out on University Parkway). And I just remembered "Michael's on East" in Midtown Plaza, one of the highest rated restaurants in Florida, let alone Sarasota (fine dining restaurant and private events)

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area