Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 31,240 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Palmetto, FL. My husband is applying for a job in Palmetto. We want to live in the town where he works so he will not have to drive very far to work. He now drives about hour to work. So I would like to know any pros and/or cons about Palmetto. We want to be near the beach, shopping, leisure activities, etc. We have 2 kids that attend a virtual academy in Georgia and they will be able to continue that with the Florida Virtual School so schools are not really am issue. Are there bad areas in Palmetto? Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:09 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
There are MANY bad areas in Palmetto
Look at Ellenton and Lakewood Ranch a short commute to work

Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I have to agree with Peter - overall there are too many bad areas in Palmetto. When I moved to Sarasota, even my realtor (who lives in Parrish) told us to stay away from there.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:29 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I tried to stay away from this question but agree with the above.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Is it a bad place to work as well? He is applying to Manatee School for the Arts on Haben Blvd. What is that area like?
This would be a big move and change for us so I want to know all the pros and cons.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1471 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Is it a bad place to work as well? He is applying to Manatee School for the Arts on Haben Blvd. What is that area like?
This would be a big move and change for us so I want to know all the pros and cons.
The area where the school is is not bad at all - it's off the waterfront I believe. It's not that ALL of Palmetto is bad either, it's just that it's hard for us to recommend anything there since so much of it has gone downhill in the last couple decades. There are some fairly nice waterfront neighborhoods in Palmetto, actually if you want to check out a really well-kept secret (not part of Palmetto), fabulous area, check out the island of Terra Ceia - it is completely old Florida, almost no commercial business, very quiet and off by itself. About five miles from the school give or take.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:48 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
If you want to live in Palmghetto, I'd say stay west, as close to the intercoastal as possible, along the Manatee River.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 AM

Thanks again for all your suggestions. We don't have to live in Palmetto and I certainly don't want to live there if it is a bad area. My husband just does not want to drive an hour to work everyday like he does now. So any good surrounding areas/towns you can recommend would be great.

We are looking to spend max $160,000 on a house and would like 4 bedrooms but could deal with three.

I really appreciate all the help and advice you all are giving to me.

Jenny

Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1471 View Post
Thanks again for all your suggestions. We don't have to live in Palmetto and I certainly don't want to live there if it is a bad area. My husband just does not want to drive an hour to work everyday like he does now. So any good surrounding areas/towns you can recommend would be great.

We are looking to spend max $160,000 on a house and would like 4 bedrooms but could deal with three.

I really appreciate all the help and advice you all are giving to me.

Jenny
OK, that price range knocks out Terra Ceia, or probably anything close to the waterfront. You might look into Ellenton, it has a rural feel but there are some nice areas there. Also rural is Parrish, more to the north, you might find something there as well.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:32 PM

How about hurricanes down there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area