Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 12,455 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

WE've been seriously considering moving to Sarasota (or somewhere really close to it). Our main concern is that we are within walking distance from the beach.

More importantly, however, we want the beach to be "shark-free"!

What cities would you recommend (where house prices are reasonable 200,000-300,000 and where there are opportunities for business)??

Also, what's your experience with sharks in the beaches there? how's the water? weather?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:30 PM

59 posts, read 164,553 times
Sharks live in the ocean. The beach is the shore of the ocean. Therefore, no beach is "shark-free". Quit watching shark week. You should never have a problem with jaws unless you have a chum bag on you when you swim out past the second sand bar. Unless you are lottery-unlucky.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 PM

65 posts, read 295,959 times
hi. i am no expert, but i dont think you can buy a home within walking distance from beach in sarasota for under 300k. when you say walking distance - what exactly do you mean? like is a 1 mile walk ok? how long does it take to walk 1 mile? 20 mins?

ditto the above poster about sharks.

good luck

Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 AM

175 posts, read 543,888 times
Apparently more people die each year from accidents involving vending machines than from shark attacks.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:01 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
As others have said here, NO beach will be shark-free. Also, no houses within easy walking distance of the beach will be in that price range here. There are plenty of good deals to be had in that price range, but not near the beaches.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:26 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Like others have said, there would be no property in your price range within walking distance to the beach. Maybe a short card ride though. You would have chance in winning the lottery than getting bit by a shark.

Note in the graphic below an interesting peculiarity. The amount of shark bites on the Atlantic Coast far exceeds the number on the Gulf Coast. However, the percentage of bites on the Gulf Coast that result in death is higher on the Gulf Coast. A very high percentage of the east Atlantic coast bites are to the hands, feet, and legs of surfers. Notice also that the beaches that have the most surfers in the water have the most shark bites: Daytona, Cocoa Beach, Palm Beach. Note also that on the Gulf coast between Tampa Bay and the panhandle area there are no shark bites. This "big bend" area is mostly salt marsh and has no nice beaches or sandy barrier islands, so there are few swimmers and no surfers

No one in the last 115 years has died from a shark bite in Sarasota, Manatee or Charlotte counties.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
Not to jump on the band wagon but, No sharks and beach just don't go together.
In the Sarasota area you will find bull, lemon, hammerhead, bonnets, and others.

I fish the area regularly, I catch sharks and I still go into the water. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that of all the things to worry about, a shark bite at local beaches should be very low on your list.

Being within walking distance to the beach and buying under 300k is possible but the house will likely be a bit small and on the old side. Venice Island is probably the most likely place to find a house where you can walk to the beach under 300k. Rents are down so you might be able to find a nice place with an affordable annual rent and be close enough to walk to the beach.

Business opportunity? wow that's a tough one. While I believe that there are many places where the economy has been hit harder than the Sarasota area, we are still slower than I'd like. Because there is a large affluent population, and a good tourist trade, I believe that business opportunity does exist for the motivated entrepreneur.

The water and the weather are great. Now is the best time of the year for going to the beach with water temps in the mid-80's. Right along the coast it is a bit arid, not much rain. While just a few miles inland there is a good chance of rain every afternoon.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
In that price range +/- around $300K, you can look in South Side Village which is just a hop skip & 5 min. drive to Siest Key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area