Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,641,441 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of building a house. Yes yes I know this is not what people are doing but we would really like to get an estimate on building a 3,000 sq ft house. We already have a plan to build.

Can you all recommend a builder who will not rip us off? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 05:52 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,628,762 times
Theer are many custum home builders but th eproblem is their liquidity in these troubled times
John Cannon Todd Joshntsone are two

Old 08-12-2009, 05:59 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,871,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Theer are many custum home builders but th eproblem is their liquidity in these troubled times
John Cannon Todd Joshntsone are two
Depends on what you're looking for. Todd Johnston, John Cannon, Lee Weatherington, etc are very good builders but you're gonna pay premium prices to have them build. They usually build homes in the range of $500K+.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,917,270 times
Tom Fero is a very good builder, been around a long time and has an excellent reputation.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 PM

Thank you! Where is Tom Fero located and is his name the name of his company? Does he have a website?

I almost bought a "Fero" built house and in fact that house design is really close to what we have in mind.

I am soooo frustrated trying to find a house to buy. I made an offer on a short sale in Englewood. I won't do that again. Great house with all the room dimensions that worked for us AND it has a 1600 sq ft detached garage in addition to the attached 2 car garage. We made an offer back in January which was ultimately rejected 4 months later, then we upped our offer an additional 10K and finally after deciding that there was no way we wanted to be into a house for almost $450,000. bucks, ( after all our renovations, additions etc etc etc ) and be surrounded by $70K - $200K ( on the high high side ) houses, with empty lots all around, no street lights and less than a couple hundred feet away from 776.

Had that house been in Port Charlotte and priced at another 100K, I would have bought it and we wouldn't be posting about possibly building one.

So it's back to the drawing board.

We also like the 3,000 sq ft Adams house IF only the 2 bedrooms in the front were in the back lol. And if we could buy a couple of lots that would allow a swimming pool.

Do you know if Adams still selling those houses for $70 bucks a sq ft?

Old 08-13-2009, 05:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,586 times
Try giving KIMCO Construction a call or visit their website kimcoconstruction.com. They are based in Englewood on Englewood Road.

Just found this forum and it's really great. To give you some background, we bought a home in Englewood in February of 2008 which we use as a rental when we are not down using our home. We used Kimco construction. Our home was built in 1980 and they did a complete gut job. They are a pleasure to work with. They are honest, which is hard to find in these times. And, they are not out to rip anyone off. Their work is top notch, my home is proof. If you need any other questions answered you can get in touch with me as I would be happy to answer any you may have.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,917,270 times
Fero Construction has a model home on Bal Harbor in PGI. There is also a model in Long Marsh in Rotonda.

I've tended to stay away from builders like Adams and Mercedes. They came into the area and started building spec homes like crazy. Builders that have been in the area, use the same subs, and build to order are the pro's that get my vote.

So builders like Fero, McCandles, Roberts, Caithness, J&J, Joshua Johnson will get my vote.

From an investment perspective it's never wise to be the largest most expensive home in an area, so maybe it was for the best that your SS offer never became a contract. Though it does sound like a nice home.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 PM

Does anyone have an opinion of popa pools/masada homes?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:17 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,828,142 times
J&J Homes has a good rep in the Englewood-Venice area. We live in one built 15 years ago and it's solid.

Fireside Homes just built a home for our neighbors son. We haven't seen it but they seem very happy with it.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 AM

325 posts, read 1,021,513 times
If you have plans I would be willing to look into it. I am a hands on Contractor, me and my partner do the work ourselves and have very close relationships with are Subs. So you will not have to deal with a PM we handle all the contract changes and the PM ourselves and will probally save you money in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area