Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 AM

6,536 posts, read 4,350,082 times

Advertisements

Hi. Are there ana ordinances/rules&regulations for putting an outdoor tv antenna on the roof in Sarasota? I live in a duplex and it\'s ok with my landlord -- but not sure about any city/neighborhood rules about antennas. I found an excellent website about outdoor antennas: http://antennaweb.org You plug in your address on their site and it shows the location of all the local channels on a map and recommends the best antenna and how to point it etc. But for Sarasota there are apparently only 3 local stations (according to their map). Does anyone know if the Tampa stations can be received with decent clarity with an outdoor antenna? On the antennaweb site it lists antennas with a range up to 70 miles so I\'m assuming that it can be done? I\'ve also seen smaller UHF (high definition) antennas at Radio Shack for about $60 with a range of 50 miles --I assume these smaller antennas would be looked at more favoranly by the city/community but might not quite be big enough to get the Tampa stations?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 10:41 AM

166 posts, read 601,054 times
Sarasota is in the Tampa Bay media market. We get most of our local stations from Tampa (all except wwsb (abc)). The transmitters for most of the stations are in southern hillsborough county. So, you shouldn't have a problem recieving them. It wasn't a problem to recieve with analog at least.

I never heard of a restriction for roof antennas, but I don't know.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:46 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,002,123 times
There is no restrictions for roof antennas. If you look at the anntennaweb site again, you will see that if an antenna [vhf/uhf] is pointed towards the Riverview area, you will get almost all stations. You will not receive channel 3, 8, 13 with only a uhf antenna. You will not receive channel 10 [CBS] because their transmission is from Tarpon Springs, different compass heading and too far anyway. [with old analog, very snowy pic, with digital, no signal]

Old 08-23-2009, 06:47 PM

463 posts, read 863,299 times
When we were in Port charlotte last I bought a cheap tv at a yard sale and one of the new converter boxes and a set of rabbit ears .I was very surprized to get twelve or thirteen stations very clear.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:29 AM

6,536 posts, read 4,350,082 times
Can someone recommend a good place to buy an outdoor tv antenna and what kind works best? There are a lot of tall trees in my neighborhood but no tall structures. I have read that trees can cause some interference but not as bad as tall structures. I\'m wondering if an outdoor antenna will work at my location. Also can you please recommend a good person/company to do the antenna installation at a reasonable price? Thank you.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,347 times
Default TV reception Sarasota

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
There is no restrictions for roof antennas. If you look at the anntennaweb site again, you will see that if an antenna [vhf/uhf] is pointed towards the Riverview area, you will get almost all stations. You will not receive channel 3, 8, 13 with only a uhf antenna. You will not receive channel 10 [CBS] because their transmission is from Tarpon Springs, different compass heading and too far anyway. [with old analog, very snowy pic, with digital, no signal]
I am in the process of installing an outdoor 6 element FM Antenna. While waiting for other parts, I decided to try it out in my house erected on a pole at about six feet high.

Interestingly, I receive channel 10 just fine, which surprised me b/c of this information and the distance from mid-Sarasota to their tower. I received about 17 channels. Channel 8 & 13 were fine (they are more problematic than others though), but no channel 3 or 16. Channels when directional antenna pointed north> 5 (3ABN) (AIR), DTV: 8, 10, 13, 22, 28, 32, 38, 40, 50, 62, 66 (many of these had more than one channel)

I may need to buy a VHF/UHF antenna for TV reception when I decide to dump cable.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,002,123 times
I see my last post on this subject was Aug 09
Update- About 9 months ago, channel 10 changed their transmission signal from Tarpon Springs to Riverview, with all the other stations. Channel 10-1 and channel 10-2 are now available to viewers in Sarasota.
I have an eight foot uhf/vhf antenna in my attic above my garage. I get all channels 3 to 66 [all sub-stations] being transmitted from the Riverview towers. Sometimes, according to weather conditions, I get a signal bounce off the Riverview towers from the Cape Coral towers to receive channels 20 and 46 Unlike old analog signals where you would get a snowy signal, with digital/HD, you do or don't get a signal. You might see a 'no signal' message on screen. It's there, but not strong enough for the TV tuner to receive it.
I use the antenna signals to view channels not carried by dishnetwork.
30-1 sometimes shows old movies, 32-2 shows old movies never shown on cable channels, 38-2 has 24/7 music videos, 8-2 is ME tv all the old drama series from the 60's, 70's, 80's

Old 03-09-2012, 07:17 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,670,093 times
d4g4m, since you apparently know a lot more about this than I do...I thought for some reason all over the air broadcasts ended a couple of years ago. Maybe it was the digital vs analog thing I'm thinking of? Anyway, I used to be able to get blacked out Bucs games on simple rabbit ears from a station somewhere south of me. It was a long time ago so I don't recall. Anyway, is that potentially still possible?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,631,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
d4g4m, since you apparently know a lot more about this than I do...I thought for some reason all over the air broadcasts ended a couple of years ago. Maybe it was the digital vs analog thing I'm thinking of? Anyway, I used to be able to get blacked out Bucs games on simple rabbit ears from a station somewhere south of me. It was a long time ago so I don't recall. Anyway, is that potentially still possible?
That was the analog to digital changeover. My mom was on an antenna at the time and lost the signal for channel 10 as well.

As for the blacked out games, you might be able to pick them up from a Ft Myers station depending upon what game Ft Myers is covering that week.

The link below is last years map, but you can see what markets are showing what games during the year. For instance week 1 and 3 last season were blacked out or replaced for the Tampa market, but Ft Myers had the game. Just click on the colored area to see the call sign for the station airing the game, then you can Google the call sign to figure out what digital station they broadcast on.

the506.com - NFL map index 2011

Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,670,093 times
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area