U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 PM

69 posts, read 249,985 times

Advertisements

We're keeping our fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly--our closing is set for this Friday on the house we offered on in North Port. We're making lists and lists and lists of what to do, what to buy, etc.

We can't remember if we saw hurricane shutters at the house when we looked at it and the listing doesn't mention them. And----looking at the photos I took of a few windows from the outside--I don't see tracks or bolts already installed where the shutters can be put over the windows, either.

So, in the event there are no shutters, we would like to get them ASAP. Any suggestions of who to deal with to buy them? I don't know what's involved in getting the tracks installed. Don't know if that can be a do-it-yourself job, or not.

Thanks for suggestions.
Marcia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:37 AM

325 posts, read 925,847 times
When you get settled in PM me.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:42 AM

55 posts, read 119,048 times
What about ARMOR SCREEN does any one have them are know some one who does? were looking in to them when we move down there. the house were looking at does not have any storm shutters

Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 PM

301 posts, read 1,050,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia_M View Post
We're keeping our fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly--our closing is set for this Friday on the house we offered on in North Port. We're making lists and lists and lists of what to do, what to buy, etc.

We can't remember if we saw hurricane shutters at the house when we looked at it and the listing doesn't mention them. And----looking at the photos I took of a few windows from the outside--I don't see tracks or bolts already installed where the shutters can be put over the windows, either.

So, in the event there are no shutters, we would like to get them ASAP. Any suggestions of who to deal with to buy them? I don't know what's involved in getting the tracks installed. Don't know if that can be a do-it-yourself job, or not.

Thanks for suggestions.
Marcia
This is an easy do-it-yourself job if you can drill concrete block and set anchor bolts. But some people don't like messing with this so they hire it done. You may also want to check on the accordian-style shutters that you simply close, lock and done. They are more expensive but much less time-consuming. Some people even opt for hurricane-proof (use that term loosely) glass for the windows & doors instead of shutters. Research the options then decide :-)

Old 08-24-2009, 03:23 PM

7,484 posts, read 20,865,717 times
Quote:

Thanks for suggestions.
Marcia
Hey Marcia!

I stopped by the house today and you are correct in your assumption. It does not have shutters. It does however appear to have the Miami-Dade rated garage door, which should be a savings on your insurance.

Unfortunately, I don't have a hurricane shutter person on my list of "good contacts". If you find a good one or anyone has any recommendations- that would be great.

Here's what we did on our home. A few years ago we had several hurricanes threatening the area and every time one would get close I would send my hubby out to put the shutters up and when it turned I would send him back out to take them down. So what we decided to do is to get the accordion shutters just for the back of the house since those are the most cumbersome and time consuming to put up and down. Now if a storm comes around I can just go out on the lanai and pull them closed and it take 2 minutes. Then he just throws them up around the house on the smaller windows. It saves a lot of time and was a good compromise for all. Just a thought...

Old 08-24-2009, 04:38 PM

325 posts, read 925,847 times
Quote:

Thanks for suggestions.
Marcia
I have been doing alot of Wind Mitigation Inspections as of late, Hurricane shutters will be a cost affective move for insurance savings.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:49 PM

69 posts, read 249,985 times
Thanks for the ideas. And thank you, SoFLGal, for checking on the house, confirming my suspicions, and your thoughts on ways to protect more easily and less expensively. We'll be down the week after Labor Day so hurricane shutters will be on our list and we'll do some research before we arrive.
Marcia

Old 08-25-2009, 09:21 AM

55 posts, read 119,048 times
Here is the link for ARMOR SCREEN it looks like it works real good

Home

were looking in to geting them when we move down there
let us know what you think

Old 08-26-2009, 09:18 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,730,276 times
I was lucky, my house came with the shutters. Evidently, the previous owner had someone provide and install them. They were in the garage, along with all the bolts and parts for attachment, and a floor plan of the house where they were all numbered, and directions for installing them. It was great. I could install them by myself in about an hour before we left. They also had installed the accordian shutter which you just pull closed to close off the entire lania. SoFLGal is right, that was a wise move! It probably would have more than doubled the amount of time to install the metal deck panels there. The installation of the rest was quick and easy - just needed a battery operated screw gun / drill.

I have watched the weather down there every day. So far nothing has worried me. {Knocking on wood! ! } But, if I didn't have them I would be worried. My neighbor came out when I was installing them, and he thought I had them installed because he had never seen them up, and never saw anyone installing them. So the installation process must have been a quick and easy process. He watches everything that goes on in the neighborhood like a hawk!! I think he sits and watches my grass grow!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:51 AM

8,191 posts, read 29,222,510 times
My husband used to install hurricane shutters for Atrium, but they only did new construction. Maybe you could contact a builder and ask for a recommendation.

There used to be a place in Port Charlotte that also did them. It was called Decor Shoppe and was on 41 right next to Divemasters. Decor Shoppe is a mom & pop and their specialty is custom window treatments, but they also do hurricane shutters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area