Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM

10 posts, read 42,489 times

Advertisements

Just curious, I'm considering a fixer upper that needs work, but is mostly solid. Needs cosmetics/upgrades etc. Anyone know if there is a law against living in it while you work on it? Thanks in Advance folks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 04:13 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Does it have a c/o, certificate of occupancy? I would check with Sarasota county but if it just needs cosmetic work and updating I would think you'd be OK.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM

You're the bomb soflagirl!!! I haven't made my mind up on it yet, but how do I find out if it has a C/O?

Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 PM

I would call Sarasota county Planning and Zoning and if they can't help you with it ask for the building dept:

https://building.scgov.net/OSG/InitC...ename=Sarasota

Here's the main website as well: Sarasota County Government
941-861-9000

Just tell what your trying to do and they'll get you to the right place.

Good luck with it!

Old 09-01-2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks again!! I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
isn't that something that the listing agent should know?
if the house is occupied currently and you have running water and flushable toilet and electricity you should be good to go
a house can be in pretty sad state of disrepair and still qualify for "occupancy"--you don't have to have HVAC working

your insurance company would also want to know the state if there is significant issue with occupancy readiness
when we moved out of our old house and into the new and left the old unoccupied--the insurance on it was based on the fact that we could if we wanted to come back and spend the night from time to time
technically we could have if we wanted to sleep on air mattress because everything else was working...we evern had a fridge since new house had a built-in version

Old 09-03-2009, 07:59 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Also, depending on where the house is located, they may not be able to get any insurance on it at all until it meets certain codes and criteria. I couldn't even get CITIZEN'S, on my house (1950's) which had been renovated until I upgraded the electric, water heater and even the roof. Florida is very tough for insurance so that might be a consideration also, unless paying cash for the home and not getting any.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Also, depending on where the house is located, they may not be able to get any insurance on it at all until it meets certain codes and criteria. I couldn't even get CITIZEN'S, on my house (1950's) which had been renovated until I upgraded the electric, water heater and even the roof. Florida is very tough for insurance so that might be a consideration also, unless paying cash for the home and not getting any.
gypsychic makes a very good point, most existing homes that have been lived in will have been C/O ed some time in the past. However getting insurance on a fixer-upper can be a bit more difficult. I went through the same drill when I purchased my home. I needed to have a licensed electrician inspect my house as well as a licensed roofer.

Most building departments will issue permits to perform renovations while you occupy the home. I've gutted homes while living in them.
Just be sure that you pull permits for the work you will do. Florida allows the homeowner to act as a owner builder. There is a form to sign declaring that you intend to live in the home for at least two years after the work is done. You will also need to hire licensed contractors to do the work that you don't have the skills to perform.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Gypsy does make a good point but a fixer-upper could have different meanings. He didn't state the extent of the repairs or even if the home was completed. If the home was one of the many unfinished homes then he would need to check on the C/O status.

What are the repairs to be done? If it's just replacing counter tops, flooring, etc than that's one thing but if the home is unfinished or in need of electrical, plumbing, etc that may be a whole different ball game.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
so what people are saying is that for purpose of insurability there may be one standard and for certificate of occupancy there could be separate standard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area