Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:56 AM

105 posts, read 186,328 times

Advertisements

Thanks Tommy and SoFLGal! You guys are awesome! Keep the information coming! Does anyone have any pictures to share? I have never even visited Sarasota! We have always been on the ocean side of Florida! Our favorite spot has always been Miami and Ft. Lauderdale! And, obviously the Keys! I found Sarasota online and found it to be very beautiful and more affordable to live! I know everyone keeps saying not to move without a job but here in Indiana I was recently laid off as an accountant, so I don't have a job here either. If I sell the house and bring $20,000 - $25,000 down with me then I could pay rent and look for a job! That is what I am thinking! What do you all think? I don't see the difference between not having a job here and looking for a job while paying the house payment and all the bills AND looking for a job in Florida while paying the bills! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson5077 View Post
Thanks Tommy and SoFLGal! You guys are awesome! Keep the information coming! Does anyone have any pictures to share? I have never even visited Sarasota! We have always been on the ocean side of Florida! Our favorite spot has always been Miami and Ft. Lauderdale! And, obviously the Keys! I found Sarasota online and found it to be very beautiful and more affordable to live! I know everyone keeps saying not to move without a job but here in Indiana I was recently laid off as an accountant, so I don't have a job here either. If I sell the house and bring $20,000 - $25,000 down with me then I could pay rent and look for a job! That is what I am thinking! What do you all think? I don't see the difference between not having a job here and looking for a job while paying the house payment and all the bills AND looking for a job in Florida while paying the bills! Any thoughts or suggestions?
Well, I guess if you don't have a job there either it wouldn't hurt to be down here if you like it better. You have to also think about the expense of moving everything down, paying 1st/last/security for a place to rent, etc

I think it might be a bit easier to find a job if you actually lived here. Then if you got call backs for interviews it might be easier to schedule them instead of trying to schedule it in while you are visiting.

Here's another tip. Try to do something that's gonna make you stand out from the crowd. For instance, when I was looking for an assistant I knew I wanted someone that was good on the computer, able to think outside of the box, and internet savvy. I put an ad on Craigslist thinking that if they're on Craigslsit they'll probably have some clue as to how to use a computer. In a weeks time I got about 150 applicants. There was one applicant that stood out above all the others. She made her resume a five page website. It was really catchy and creative. We called her and several others in for an interview and we hired her on the spot. That was about 1 1/2 ago. When you have a lot of competition you have to have fantastic qualifications or something else that's gonna make you shine.

If you click on the sticky thread at the top of this page you'll find tons of pictures of the area.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:40 AM

917 posts, read 2,614,476 times
What do I think? I think it would be very risky to just move down here with neither one of you having a job lined up even if you are just going to rent at first.
Have you figured the cost to move? How much do you stand to lose if it turns out to be a mistake and you have to move out of the area.

There are plenty of photos in the sticky at the top of the main page.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 AM

SoFLGal, you're so much better at this. I'll stick to my day job. Just wish I had one.

Do you handle rentals?

Old 09-06-2009, 12:04 PM

105 posts, read 186,328 times
Thanks, SoFlGal! I really appreciate the tips! We have already calculated the cost of signing a lease and moving all our things down! It's not too bad with the money we are bringing down! I will do anything when I get down there to work! My resume was written by a professional writer but I do need to do something to make it savy and stand out! It has all the fancy wording and all my skills but I am sure everyone elses' does too! We have a house we built 11 years ago here in Indiana but with no job we would have to sell it no matter if we moved or not. The reason is because I refuse to foreclose and I can take the equity and live while I look for a job regardless if I am here in Indiana or Florida! Florida is my choice to make a new start! I have applied for many jobs in Florida and many want to interview but since I am here it is making it difficult! I hope my luck is the same once I get down there! I thought about going into real estate too! Even if I didn't do real estate full time, it would be something to fall back on for a part time gig! I also am currently taking law classes so maybe I should get a job in the legal area to get my foot in the door somewhere! We will see! I love all your advice! You are great and a breath of fresh air!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
SoFLGal, you're so much better at this. I'll stick to my day job. Just wish I had one.

Do you handle rentals?
No, sorry I don't personally do rentals. My company does but I try to stay out of the rental side of it. I know a few people around town that I can recommend but I usually just do it as a courtesy when people contact me.

Here's an idea. It may sound a bit crazy but I heard this person is making a ton of money doing it. I went to a baby shower today and they had this huge inflatable water slide. Well, apparently the guy that rents these out lost his job about six months ago. So, he researched what jobs are "recession proof". Doing his research he came to the conclusion that parents are always looking for ideas for birthday parties. This guy took $40K and bought eight inflatable slides, movies screens, etc. Apparently he goes in Manatee and Sarasota counties and is making REALLY good money. He has paid for all the stuff in three months and now pretty much everything is profit. He charges around $200 per day for each thing. Then he has other things to go along with them like little popcorn stands, sno cone machines, etc.

I'm gonna rent a few things from him in a couple weeks for my daughters birthday.

Just an idea...

Old 09-07-2009, 02:34 AM

I asked about the rentals because you seem to be one of the first contacts for so many people coming into the area and not everyone is buying a home right away.

I guess kid's birthday parties would be pretty recession proof. Too far from my realm of experience though. Thanks for the idea.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
I asked about the rentals because you seem to be one of the first contacts for so many people coming into the area and not everyone is buying a home right away.

I guess kid's birthday parties would be pretty recession proof. Too far from my realm of experience though. Thanks for the idea.
I guess it would make sense for me to do rentals but I have a pretty full plate just doing the sales side of it. And being a full time mommy to three.

The guy doesn't actually "do" the party he just comes and sets the stuff in the yard (blows it up). Then he leaves and comes back and gets it the next day. Seems like a pretty good gig to me

Old 09-07-2009, 09:16 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
No, sorry I don't personally do rentals. My company does but I try to stay out of the rental side of it. I know a few people around town that I can recommend but I usually just do it as a courtesy when people contact me.

Here's an idea. It may sound a bit crazy but I heard this person is making a ton of money doing it. I went to a baby shower today and they had this huge inflatable water slide. Well, apparently the guy that rents these out lost his job about six months ago. So, he researched what jobs are "recession proof". Doing his research he came to the conclusion that parents are always looking for ideas for birthday parties. This guy took $40K and bought eight inflatable slides, movies screens, etc. Apparently he goes in Manatee and Sarasota counties and is making REALLY good money. He has paid for all the stuff in three months and now pretty much everything is profit. He charges around $200 per day for each thing. Then he has other things to go along with them like little popcorn stands, sno cone machines, etc.

I'm gonna rent a few things from him in a couple weeks for my daughters birthday.

Just an idea...
Funny, I used to do this for my kids birthdays back up north (I'm from Indiana too OP). I usually used the same guy every year & in talking with him, he started the inflatibles/party items business as a side to his regular job but after the first year, he was actually making more $ with that than his regular job so he quit his other job to dedicate all his time to it. $200 for a day is a great deal- I think I paid $350ish (no wonder he turned a profit so quickly!) J/K.... It definitely makes a birthday party a little more special.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I guess it would make sense for me to do rentals but I have a pretty full plate just doing the sales side of it. And being a full time mommy to three.
I wasn't questioning why you didn't do rentals. Just wanted to let people know one way or another while keeping within the rules here. Figured it was ok for you to answer a direct question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area