U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-29-2009, 12:24 PM

384 posts, read 498,365 times

Advertisements

Was looking at the tampa area. In my late 20's involved in the service industry. Want to move somewhere relatively close to some good tech schools with some cool night spots and entertainment. The people need to be friendly on average.

I hear some people commute to sarasota for jobs from Tampa because Tampa is so hard to find work lately, but if I got a job in Sarasota would I be able to live there and still have a blast or would I wish I lived in Tampa/St pete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:10 PM

10,302 posts, read 16,859,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Was looking at the tampa area. In my late 20's involved in the service industry. Want to move somewhere relatively close to some good tech schools with some cool night spots and entertainment. The people need to be friendly on average.

I hear some people commute to sarasota for jobs from Tampa because Tampa is so hard to find work lately, but if I got a job in Sarasota would I be able to live there and still have a blast or would I wish I lived in Tampa/St pete?
Hi eagle. I think it's the other way around - people commute to Tampa for jobs, at least my husband does. I can't remember what type job you are looking for however. I am a native Floridian born in Tampa, older now, but haven't lived in Tampa for 28 years. Hubby and I love this area, it has evolved into into a cool little area. There are lots more young people here than there used to be due to the ever expanding three award winning smaller colleges we have here (Ringling, New College and USF). In addition, there are several little specialty colleges and tech schools. The area has everything the bigger city of Tampa has, only on a smaller scale.

You might want to visit and see if this area is big enough or "young enough" for you, and compare it to Tampa/St. Pete. It is not too bad a drive over the bridge to St. Pete from here and only an hour to Tampa, so wherever you live it's not hard to go to the other cities. I can say we have absolutely awesome beaches, and the ambiance is hard to beat. I find the area very friendly, but not in a "southern" way. We have people here from all over the country and world.

Sarasota also has this tech school:

Sarasota County Technical Institute (SCTI) : Home

And Ringling College of Art and Design is one of the top ranked design schools in the country:

Ringling College of Art and Design: Home

We will be gearing up for "season" soon, so there may be openings somewhere in the jillion restaurants we have down here. Keep in mind the economy, we have had a lot of places close, but new ones are always opening, and some are doing well despite the economy. Places me and hubby go are ALWAYS jammin' with people.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-29-2009, 03:26 PM

3,225 posts, read 5,379,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hi eagle. I think it's the other way around - people commute to Tampa for jobs, at least my husband does. I can't remember what type job you are looking for however. I am a native Floridian born in Tampa, older now, but haven't lived in Tampa for 28 years. Hubby and I love this area, it has evolved into into a cool little area. There are lots more young people here than there used to be due to the ever expanding three award winning smaller colleges we have here (Ringling, New College and USF). In addition, there are several little specialty colleges and tech schools. The area has everything the bigger city of Tampa has, only on a smaller scale.

You might want to visit and see if this area is big enough or "young enough" for you, and compare it to Tampa/St. Pete. It is not too bad a drive over the bridge to St. Pete from here and only an hour to Tampa, so wherever you live it's not hard to go to the other cities. I can say we have absolutely awesome beaches, and the ambiance is hard to beat. I find the area very friendly, but not in a "southern" way. We have people here from all over the country and world.

Sarasota also has this tech school:

Sarasota County Technical Institute (SCTI) : Home

And Ringling College of Art and Design is one of the top ranked design schools in the country:

Ringling College of Art and Design: Home

We will be gearing up for "season" soon, so there may be openings somewhere in the jillion restaurants we have down here. Keep in mind the economy, we have had a lot of places close, but new ones are always opening, and some are doing well despite the economy. Places me and hubby go are ALWAYS jammin' with people.

Hope this helps!
Wow! Very well-written, informative, useful info. Even though I'm not the OP, thanks for a great insight!

Old 09-29-2009, 04:11 PM

32 posts, read 167,515 times
I am 26 and last year I worked in Sarasota while living in St. Pete. I was really excited about working in Sarasota because it is such a beautiful town. Unfortunately, I can't say that the town caters to our demographic. I would go out for happy hour with some friends from work and the people at the bar would be alot older. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, it was just not the scene I was going for. Siesta Key is younger, but that was the opposite direction of home so I rarely made it out there. Maybe if I lived in Sarasota and was able to go to Siesta for drinks after work I would have a different opinion. But as far as the mainland goes, it was pretty disappointing for the happy hour scene. There are some late night options for young people if you don't have a 9-5 job, but for young professionals, except to share the bar with the early bird crowd, not the happy hour crowd! I live in Orlando now and it suits my needs much better. I do miss the natural beauty of Sarasota though. When I am ready to retire I would definitely consider Sarasota because it really is a great place.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:18 AM

384 posts, read 498,365 times
Thanks for the insight guys.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:36 PM

175 posts, read 343,492 times
What is the vibe in St Pete versus Sarasota? Is it younger? Is there stuff going on at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area