Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 04:50 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,136 times

Advertisements

SoFlGal, your remark about your daughter and her green cape reminded me of mr. cool's brother. He wore a tuxedo to school every Friday at around 5th or 6th grade I think it was, for as long as he could fit into it.
I'd forgotten about that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 07:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
it is very possible for parents to "buy" a gifted score--some testing psychologists will definitely fudge on a child's capability to ensure a high score
there are students at Pine View who struggle to keep up with the curricula--many of them should not be there
some students who truly are gifted are frankly gifted in specific areas but not in all--like music or art or math and can struggle in ELA
there has been a rising % of students who have private vs public school certification attending--the school cannot keep them out--some of them are swamped by the aggressive flow of work/concepts--it is more important for their parents to say they are there or because parents are afraid they will not get a "good" education if they go to local school
frankly a child in K cannot be tested and go to Pine View because Pine View starts in second grade--
and that level is on 3rd grade curricula--that is a BIG JUMP for many of these entering students--some of them never really make a good recovery--
lots of skills/concepts/techniques are missed because basically they go from 1st to 3rd grade
there is not a lot of covering missed material in depth--the students are expected to BE at 3rd grade level
the kids who ARE gifted with higher intelligence usually excell--the ones who got massaged into being there soon show the strain of keeping up--and their parents are often the first to complain

FYI
the students at PV run the gamut just like any public school--there are students from frankly some pretty low-income families, kids from variety of ethnic groups, and yes--kids from affluent families---which should not surprise anyone---
my experience as a teacher has shown me that environment has tremendous influence on encouraging children at early age to be curious and support the means/attitudes that allow children to develop their abilities---it has become so much more difficult for a child from a low-income, struggling family to develop into an IQ-gifted child where there are no books in the home, no one who reads to them, no one who encourages their language skills or small motor skills...
funding for Head Start programs that are really about minimal skills were shrunked during Republican admins...
I don't know why anyone would be surprised that the culture clash between high/low income levels shows in the IQs of their perspective childrens as well

Last edited by loves2read; 10-18-2009 at 08:06 AM..

Old 10-20-2009, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,090 times
Of course Pine View isn't perfect. No school is. It's also not the right atmosphere for every kid, not even every gifted kid. It depends on the kid. It's way too much pressure & home work for some.
For others, it's not. Many Pine View students keep their grades up, are heavily involved in extra-curriclulars, & are still healthy, happy, well-balanced kids.
Here are the facts on FCAT, SAT National Merit & Awards:

FCAT: Pine View's scores are often twice as high as other schools in the district. The link below is an easy place to compare FCATS - copy paste it into your browser.
Sarasota County School District - Sarasota County - Trulia
Choose Elementary, Middle or High School, click on Pine View, scroll down to the FCAT chart.
People like to say Pine View is full of dumb rich kids, whose parents paid for private testing.
It's possible a few kids slip into Pine View with bogus private testing. But there can't be more than a handful, or test scores would go down. They couldn't handle the work load & would be transferred out quickly.

National Merit Scholar semi-finalists 2009: Pine View has 22.
Riverview & Sarasota High each have 1. Venice High, Sarasota Military, North Port & Booker have 0.
Sarasota County Schools Communications and Community Relations
Nobody's parents can buy FCAT or SAT scores.

Wikipedia on awards:
"During the 2003-04 school year, Pine View School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the US Dept of Education,the highest award an American school can receive. In 2007, the school was rated 6th best high school in the nation, and 11th best in 2008 by U.S.News. In 2009, they were rated America's Best High School for Florida by Business Week."

Don’t take any of us too seriously - none of us knows if your kid is like those that felt too pressured at PV, or those that thrive there. Most PV families love PV. I don’t understand the anger of others. If PV’s not good for your kid, then of course you shouldn't send him there. We’re lucky to have school choice in Sarasota County. My kid wouldn’t fit in with the dance program at Booker, or the ROTC at Sarasota Military. But that doesn’t mean Booker, SMI, or Pine View are bad schools, & I’m not angry with them.
The best advice is to research & visit several schools, & decide where your kid would fit in best.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venicefl View Post
Of course Pine View isn't perfect. No school is. It's also not the right atmosphere for every kid, not even every gifted kid. It depends on the kid. It's way too much pressure & home work for some.
For others, it's not. Many Pine View students keep their grades up, are heavily involved in extra-curriclulars, & are still healthy, happy, well-balanced kids.
Here are the facts on FCAT, SAT National Merit & Awards:

FCAT: Pine View's scores are often twice as high as other schools in the district. The link below is an easy place to compare FCATS - copy paste it into your browser.
Sarasota County School District - Sarasota County - Trulia
Choose Elementary, Middle or High School, click on Pine View, scroll down to the FCAT chart.
People like to say Pine View is full of dumb rich kids, whose parents paid for private testing.
It's possible a few kids slip into Pine View with bogus private testing. But there can't be more than a handful, or test scores would go down. They couldn't handle the work load & would be transferred out quickly.

National Merit Scholar semi-finalists 2009: Pine View has 22.
Riverview & Sarasota High each have 1. Venice High, Sarasota Military, North Port & Booker have 0.
Sarasota County Schools Communications and Community Relations
Nobody's parents can buy FCAT or SAT scores.

Wikipedia on awards:
"During the 2003-04 school year, Pine View School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the US Dept of Education,the highest award an American school can receive. In 2007, the school was rated 6th best high school in the nation, and 11th best in 2008 by U.S.News. In 2009, they were rated America's Best High School for Florida by Business Week."

Don’t take any of us too seriously - none of us knows if your kid is like those that felt too pressured at PV, or those that thrive there. Most PV families love PV. I don’t understand the anger of others. If PV’s not good for your kid, then of course you shouldn't send him there. We’re lucky to have school choice in Sarasota County. My kid wouldn’t fit in with the dance program at Booker, or the ROTC at Sarasota Military. But that doesn’t mean Booker, SMI, or Pine View are bad schools, & I’m not angry with them.
The best advice is to research & visit several schools, & decide where your kid would fit in best.
Very well written! Excellent post and opinions

Old 10-23-2009, 02:13 PM

239 posts, read 671,115 times
Thank you all for your comments. I just started my research on "highly gifted" children and programs and I am learning quite a bit. I think the most important thing I learned is that there is a lot of misunderstanding out there with regard to these beautiful souls who feel and experience the world differently (mostly on other threads). Unfortunately, there are also a lot of "perception and prejudice" issues. I can see that as a parent of one of these precious children, I will have my work cut out for me.

(I feel like ranting about WHY parents whose children do NOT belong in these programs put them there and WHY schools accept them...but alas...I won't. Suffice it to say, this just hurts everyone but especially the kids who NEED this program b/c there are no other choices for them.)

I have to say I generally agree with all posters and I can see the rationale behind most of the points of view. I appreciate that you have all taken the time to respond. I wish you all the best!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOnewplace View Post
Thank you all for your comments. I just started my research on "highly gifted" children and programs and I am learning quite a bit. I think the most important thing I learned is that there is a lot of misunderstanding out there with regard to these beautiful souls who feel and experience the world differently (mostly on other threads). Unfortunately, there are also a lot of "perception and prejudice" issues. I can see that as a parent of one of these precious children, I will have my work cut out for me.

(I feel like ranting about WHY parents whose children do NOT belong in these programs put them there and WHY schools accept them...but alas...I won't. Suffice it to say, this just hurts everyone but especially the kids who NEED this program b/c there are no other choices for them.)

I have to say I generally agree with all posters and I can see the rationale behind most of the points of view. I appreciate that you have all taken the time to respond. I wish you all the best!
Does PV offer any special programs for kids. Say special math programs if that is what they excel toward, or creative writing, or science? I know they offer a lot of AP classes - how widely are they accepted as credits toward advancement in College as they were once touted?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 AM

239 posts, read 671,115 times
Default PV info

Big House: Some of the previous posters have kids currently enrolled in PV. If they do not respond to your post, you might want to DM them. I am also still researching so please share an info you get. Good luck!

Old 10-26-2009, 11:52 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Does PV offer any special programs for kids. Say special math programs if that is what they excel toward, or creative writing, or science? I know they offer a lot of AP classes - how widely are they accepted as credits toward advancement in College as they were once touted?
PV has a special program for every kid in the school. They do whats called an IEP or Individual Education Plan for each kid. This is required by the state of Florida if your child is labeled gifted. It must be gone over by the parents, teachers and staff once a year to make sure that of the childs needs are being met. PV also offers outside activities/clubs if your child is especially interested in a certain thing-creative writing, science, etc.

I've been scouting out colleges with my daughter for the last year or so and all of the colleges she has been considering have said that they accept them. Some have conditions like you must score a 4 or higher on your final for the AP class. This was one of the requirements of Ringling College, which is where I believe my oldest might end up. But I would say it would up to each college if they accept them or not. You would really need to research the colleges you are interested in and ask this question.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:02 PM

175 posts, read 543,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
PV has a special program for every kid in the school. They do whats called an IEP or Individual Education Plan for each kid. This is required by the state of Florida if your child is labeled gifted. It must be gone over by the parents, teachers and staff once a year to make sure that of the childs needs are being met. PV also offers outside activities/clubs if your child is especially interested in a certain thing-creative writing, science, etc.

I've been scouting out colleges with my daughter for the last year or so and all of the colleges she has been considering have said that they accept them. Some have conditions like you must score a 4 or higher on your final for the AP class. This was one of the requirements of Ringling College, which is where I believe my oldest might end up. But I would say it would up to each college if they accept them or not. You would really need to research the colleges you are interested in and ask this question.
Most colleges and universities will accept AP credit.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:46 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

Thanks for the reply! I have two daughters on has graduated from College, and the other is in her sophmore year at an 'A' rated, expensive (unfortunately) university that specializes in what she is talented and interested in. I am glad to hear that they do those specially taylored programs because although many kids are gifted they have their own individual interests, and I think it is important to allow them to excell in what interests them.

A great high school education is very important, and so is the parents participation, and the peer groups they kids hang with. If you have all of them right, generally they will be mature enough for that to aid them when they get to college. It is really important now with the higher and higher costs of education for the AP classes to be accepted!

Thanks Everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area