Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,900 times

Advertisements

FLBob thanks for posting that link what an awesome looking experience. I'm not sure I would have the cajohnes for it myself but I can imagine the inspirational feeling it must provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 PM

162 posts, read 305,867 times
What a great video..just my cup of tea!

Old 10-23-2009, 11:25 PM

70 posts, read 245,894 times
Before i moved down here every one was saying how horrible the bugs were, that they invade your home and the roaches are the size of a small puppy!!!!
I have to say I had more bugs when I lived in Pennsylvania. In the dusk you couldnt even go outside because of the gnats. They would buzz in your ears and get stuck in your eyes.
I spray my own house one time a month, I see a dead Palmetto bug or a nearly dead one wobbling around.
I will say I hate the fire ants and they are unbearable! Also what are those bugs I hear in the summer, they sound like they are in the trees, making a high pitched screeching noise, almot like a locust.
I havent seen a snake yet, saw alot more in Pennsylvania. Have seen a few gators, along side the road when the ditches are full of water. I am amazed by them and they never ever have to worry about me swimming with them!!!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:54 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,504 times
In all seriousness, our wildlife here is no more dangerous than most other places in the country.

Consider any freshwater or brackish (part salt-part-fresh) water a possible home for an alligator, no matter how small. If you can't see the bottom, I don't recommend swimming there. It is very rare to be bitten but we have plenty of pools, use them. Do not be fooled into thinking there are no gators in canals or the harbors because it is too salty - they are remarkably adaptable creatures.

Most snakes are hiding from you in the palmetto hammocks. Don't reach blindly under plants. This is how most people get bitten by pygmy rattlers.

No one has mentioned stingrays yet... in the past week I must have seen 10 people in the ER with stingray stings. You will become familiar with the "stingray shuffle". When in the water, "shuffle" your feet along the bottom and the stingrays will get out of your way. If you get stung, immediately put your foot (leg, whatever) in hot water, hot as you can stand. It is the only thing that decreases the pain and neutralizes the sting. If you don't have the stinger embedded (most of the time you won't), and you are up to date on tetanus shot, you don't need to go to the ER. Unless you're diabetic or have other issues that complicate wound healing.

I've worked down here for 8 years and seen 2 gator bites, 1 shark bite (not an "attack" - don't go spearfishing at a reef and not expect some sharks. If they want your fish/spear, I suggest giving it up).

We have a lot of deer and wild boars that may run out in front of your car at night.Keep your eyes open for them. Farther south (Ft. Myers and south) there is the Florida panther which is endangered, there are some roads where the speed limit is lower at night for that reason. Panthers are elusive, they do not want to be where people are.

Wear sunscreen. And mosquito repellent. Best remedy for fire ant bite - put ammonia on it immediately and then make a paste of meat tenderizer and water, rub into/onto skin, leave it on for a few minutes. Rinse off, hydrocortisone cream, benadryl tablets.

Good news: manatees are harmless. Opossums are just ugly. Citrus rats just want to eat your oranges (but where I live they are easily 12 pounds). Lizards (actually anoles) WILL get into your house. Don't worry, all they eat is bugs. They'll either get out or you'll find them shriveled up a couple of weeks later. Circle of life.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:10 PM

455 posts, read 979,036 times
Good post. The meat tenderizer trick works really well on Wasp stings too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area