U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:19 AM

204 posts, read 334,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

Capt Eddie's in Nokomis is good for a light lunch though it is not on water. Typically smaller prices and smaller quantities but it's good, fresh and clean.

Try Fred's in Sarasota and Sam Sneed's, both local haunts...across from Morton's Market. We locals also like the Anna Maria Oyster Bar on US 41 near the airport...

When Gringold was in town we had lunch at a really great Vietnamese place on Main St in Sarasota. The name of it escapes me. Maybe he can help me out here.

Alright, I think I'm outta ideas for now

Great tips, as always. No idea Cap'n Eddies even did lunch. Outdoor dining at Sam Sneed's was a hoot in the past.

And as for the Vietnamese place, maybe this one? Pho Cali Vietnamese Noodle House Sarasota FL

I've heard 'bad service, good food' about them a few times, haven't tried it myself. Big fan of Pho, the staple soup of Vietnam (and wildly popular on the west coast, especially the Pacific NW around Seattle). You haven't lived until you've had a great big bowl of the stuff from a good restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:31 AM

507 posts, read 687,968 times
Sunsetsandsand, you're getting good info on the restaraunts and most popular places to go... as to your question about airports, there is a smaller one called SRQ in north side of Sarasota. Also not to far to go to Fort Meyers or St Petersburg depending on where one would land living in the area.

Others have found great deals living in Sarasota and surounding area, apartments included. I can't help much on this one but there are a few faithful posters that live really close to or right in the area you're hanging out in. I suggest spending time going up and down the strip on Siesta, grab lunch there, lay on the beach for a while, maybe see the Sarasota Jungle Gardens and top the night off at one of the other places SoFLGal recommended. Then the next day(s) go see some neighborhoods, check out St Armands Circle, Lido and Longboat a little before you leave town.

Carefully consider your lease and the job situations out at Sarasota. if you guys are servers, mechanics, med techs or anything like that, you'll probably be ok. But some of the more industrial, construction and office jobs are hit hard. You're a FL resident! You know what's going on down there! And welcome to the forum!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 AM

6,778 posts, read 12,888,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHelmhazzard View Post
Great tips, as always. No idea Cap'n Eddies even did lunch. Outdoor dining at Sam Sneed's was a hoot in the past.

And as for the Vietnamese place, maybe this one? Pho Cali Vietnamese Noodle House Sarasota FL

I've heard 'bad service, good food' about them a few times, haven't tried it myself. Big fan of Pho, the staple soup of Vietnam (and wildly popular on the west coast, especially the Pacific NW around Seattle). You haven't lived until you've had a great big bowl of the stuff from a good restaurant.
Yes that's it! I'd say the service was average but the food was awesome. Gringold's had fish in a pot or something like that and said it was very good and I had scallops and pasta. Again, very good

Old 11-05-2009, 07:44 AM

5,743 posts, read 8,340,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetsandsand View Post
Great info! Can't wait until tomorrow to see the Siesta sand! Any tips on a fresh seafood restaurant we should try tomorrow? Wish us luck exploring and throw out some ideas if you know any other great places we should see to help us see what local life is like there! Thanks everyone!!

Man! Everyone came and helped you out a lot!! I would suggest trying the Blase Cafe! It is right in Siesta Key. The food is fantastic, and the place / ambiance grows on you!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Great info! Can't wait until tomorrow to see the Siesta sand! Any tips on a fresh seafood restaurant we should try tomorrow? Wish us luck exploring and throw out some ideas if you know any other great places we should see to help us see what local life is like there! Thanks everyone!!
So how was exploring???

Old 11-06-2009, 03:03 PM

4,232 posts, read 8,334,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Man! Everyone came and helped you out a lot!! I would suggest trying the Blase Cafe! It is right in Siesta Key. The food is fantastic, and the place / ambiance grows on you!
I love their grapefruit martinis!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 PM

15 posts, read 23,529 times
Update! Yesterday we drove in to Siesta Key. We had lunch at Siesta Grille I believe was the name. We were in the car most of the day, just trying to cover it all. We went to Nokomis and went out on the beach, drove through Casey Key and checked out the houses. Next, we hit Venice beach and from there to Lido Key to check it out before we drove home. We watched the sunset and that was going to be it for us for the day but we weren't ready to leave yet so we got a hotel room and went to Salty Dog for dinner. We woke up this morning overlooking the gulf and had breakfast and watched dolphins. For lunch we ate at the Lobster Pot. We decided Siesta Key would be the best fit for us. We didn't take the time to check out Longboat or Anna Maria because we assumed they wouldn't have as much as Siesta Key. We want beach life with bars and restaurants and some shopping closeby. The only things we've questioned is we didn't seen any bars or restaurants running along the beach other than Sharky's. We also only saw dogs on the beach in Lido. Not that this would keep us from moving. It was just different than we expected as far as entertainment up and down the beach and the ability to walk the dog in the mornings along the beach. All in all, we absolutely loved it! We're back home in Orlando tonight letting everything sink in before we make our final decision. We saw a lot more than expected in a day and half. I know there's so much more to see and do but we were able to get a feel for what life would be like living there and are very impressed with the area. Thanks again SO much to everyone who has helped out here with such great info! It's very appreciated. Any advice or tips you may have after reading this, please feel free.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:56 PM

10,367 posts, read 17,088,670 times
Quote:
Update! Yesterday we drove in to Siesta Key. We had lunch at Siesta Grille I believe was the name. We were in the car most of the day, just trying to cover it all. We went to Nokomis and went out on the beach, drove through Casey Key and checked out the houses. Next, we hit Venice beach and from there to Lido Key to check it out before we drove home. We watched the sunset and that was going to be it for us for the day but we weren't ready to leave yet so we got a hotel room and went to Salty Dog for dinner. We woke up this morning overlooking the gulf and had breakfast and watched dolphins. For lunch we ate at the Lobster Pot. We decided Siesta Key would be the best fit for us. We didn't take the time to check out Longboat or Anna Maria because we assumed they wouldn't have as much as Siesta Key. We want beach life with bars and restaurants and some shopping closeby. The only things we've questioned is we didn't seen any bars or restaurants running along the beach other than Sharky's. We also only saw dogs on the beach in Lido. Not that this would keep us from moving. It was just different than we expected as far as entertainment up and down the beach and the ability to walk the dog in the mornings along the beach. All in all, we absolutely loved it! We're back home in Orlando tonight letting everything sink in before we make our final decision. We saw a lot more than expected in a day and half. I know there's so much more to see and do but we were able to get a feel for what life would be like living there and are very impressed with the area. Thanks again SO much to everyone who has helped out here with such great info! It's very appreciated. Any advice or tips you may have after reading this, please feel free.
Glad you had a great time! Too bad you couldn't have checked out Anna Maria - there are a lot of restaurants right on the beach and waterfront, I like it a whole lot more than Siesta personally. There are some awesome places there to eat and have a few drinks. I personally love the Sandbar, it's right on the gulf with a big deck and even tables in the sand - they have a contest to guess the time of sunset every night and the winning table gets a bottle of champagne! If you come down this way again, please check out Anna Maria, it's probably more what you are looking for.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Glad you had a great time! Too bad you couldn't have checked out Anna Maria - there are a lot of restaurants right on the beach and waterfront, I like it a whole lot more than Siesta personally. There are some awesome places there to eat and have a few drinks. I personally love the Sandbar, it's right on the gulf with a big deck and even tables in the sand - they have a contest to guess the time of sunset every night and the winning table gets a bottle of champagne! If you come down this way again, please check out Anna Maria, it's probably more what you are looking for.
I'm going to agree with Gypsychic on how nice Anna Marie is you guys.... it really is the place that sold the deal for me too. I'm going to have to swing through the Sandbar sometime. That sounds like a lot of fun!!

Glad to hear you had a nice time in Sarasota. Good luck with your decisions!!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:43 AM

5,743 posts, read 8,340,359 times
When we first came to Siesta Key a few years ago, it sealed the deal for us! I knew that SWFL was where I wanted to be. For those of you that have been planning to make this move - don't give up! It is absolutely worth it! It seems like everyday is a great vacation day!

Come get some!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area