Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 01:35 PM

15 posts, read 40,389 times

Advertisements

Are there many snakes/gators on the island? Here in Orlando I am cautious since I've seen them around since I live in the country but having never lived on a beach, I'm not sure how likely it is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 01:51 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetsandsand View Post
Are there many snakes/gators on the island? Here in Orlando I am cautious since I've seen them around since I live in the country but having never lived on a beach, I'm not sure how likely it is there.
Nah, you probably wouldn't see any gators out there. The waters are to salty. They like the murky waters of the river of the waters on the golf courses.

Snakes you'd probably see. Most of the snakes are black snakes or ringnecks-both of non venomous. Snakes keep the rat population down. If you really didn't want them they sell this stuff called Snake-Away.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:13 PM

15 posts, read 40,389 times
Ok thanks for that confirmation. It's Florida, I'm cautious and I'll just remain cautious down in Siesta.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 AM

513 posts, read 1,223,147 times
Any guesses on what kinds of snakes this lady is referring to?

"Hooper doesn't want to move — her children love the block and their school. But across the street, a house is abandoned. The one next door has been vacant for months. "I tell my kids, don't ever go in that yard, because of the snakes," she said."

Foreclosures crisis caused by investors. And lenders. And politicians. And buyers. - St. Petersburg Times

Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
Any guesses on what kinds of snakes this lady is referring to?

"Hooper doesn't want to move — her children love the block and their school. But across the street, a house is abandoned. The one next door has been vacant for months. "I tell my kids, don't ever go in that yard, because of the snakes," she said."

Foreclosures crisis caused by investors. And lenders. And politicians. And buyers. - St. Petersburg Times
Dreamy46,

That was a very good article. And, one of the reasons that in 2007 I got out of the construction business, and other than this 2nd home, haven't reinvested yet in any properties. Although, with the deflated values, the time is right to consider getting re-engaged. Good values are out there. There is a huge back-log of foreclosures and people coming to the table with their keys yet to hit the market.

On the snake front, she probably is afraid of every type of snake that are native to Florida. If you know nothing about the different snake species then any snake will scare you. Every snake, potentially, could be a rattle snake, water moccasin, or coral snake, even though it may actually, and probably be just a garter snake, black snake, corn snake, or little ring neck snake, all of which are harmless and good at helping controlling bugs and other pesky varmits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area