U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:24 PM

53 posts, read 118,083 times

Advertisements

Any current members in Sarasota area?? Im looking for some real life personal experiences with the local clubs.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,248,592 times
I was but left some yeras go as it was no longer value for money Old boats and long delays and could not get the type of boats we wanted as always booked

Old 09-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Bump.... any new info?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Or even Waves boat club?

Old 06-29-2014, 04:35 PM

Just a quick update from my original post. Weve been members of Freedom Boat Club for 1 year now and absolutely love it! While not perfect, and not for everyone. Its a great option for people wanting to be care free boaters.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:46 PM

244 posts, read 300,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Just a quick update from my original post. Weve been members of Freedom Boat Club for 1 year now and absolutely love it! While not perfect, and not for everyone. Its a great option for people wanting to be care free boaters.

i wanted to join when we get down there full time in August, is it worth the money ?? didn't seem to expensive when i spoke to them.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 PM

For some people yes, and some no. If you've owned a boat before, and experienced all the headaches that go with it; its priceless. The negatives are the times it booked up, but if your not a last minute person, scheduling isnt to bad. And there are times its all booked, if you call in the morning they can get you on one usually if there's a cancellation. The be in by 5pm during the week day sucks, but if you ask nicely and they trust you, there is wiggle room. They frequently add boats of all types, which is nice.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:23 AM

244 posts, read 300,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
For some people yes, and some no. If you've owned a boat before, and experienced all the headaches that go with it; its priceless. The negatives are the times it booked up, but if your not a last minute person, scheduling isnt to bad. And there are times its all booked, if you call in the morning they can get you on one usually if there's a cancellation. The be in by 5pm during the week day sucks, but if you ask nicely and they trust you, there is wiggle room. They frequently add boats of all types, which is nice.
Excellent, Thanks... Have never owned a boat before but have a lot of friends who do, what is the saying... the 2 best days of owning a boat are the first day and the last day... lol, want to avoid dealing with all the expenses and would much rather pay monthly and just worry about the gas....See you on the water..

Old 07-02-2014, 08:41 AM

707 posts, read 778,131 times
I know one of the owners of Waves and I'd give them a try. They have newer boats in good condition.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:47 PM

597 posts, read 960,810 times
Freedom boat club totally sucks. We used to be members and had to threaten them to get them to allow us to quit even after we moved to Naples. We had to change our account because they kept trying to take the money out.

OK so we paid $5,500 upfront. Then I think we were paying around $250-$285 ish a month.....the boats are old, and always have broken depth finders,etc. Go take a look at them....not just one they have on display....walk around and look at all of them. They are beat up, old, ripped, broken horns, cushions ripped and stained,etc. If they do get a new boat, all the snowbirds hog all the reservations for the new boat so that by the time you finally get to go on it, it is ripped, stained,etc.

The boats are small ( most are 17-20 feet) so when you are out, you get tossed around and spend half of your day dodging wakes from big boats or from all the weekend warriors who go out and spend the whole day burning gas as they race up and down the channels.

Once we first joined and went out and did our "pre inspection" and the prop was bent and you could tell someone had tried to bend it back. Well the dock master said "don't worry about it". We got back and there was a different dock master and he tried to get us to pay $150 for damages for the prop. The only reason we didn't have to pay was because the instructor told them that she knew that prop was damaged from before we took it out so he was scamming us.

Winter when the snowbirds are in town, forget it. They monopolize the reservations for the entire time they are there. You will be lucky to get a reservation. In the Summer when the snowbirds are finally gone, it gets so windy that it's not even fun out there because the boats are small and you will be getting pushed around. Plus if the winds pick up too much, they will tell you to come in. In the spring and summer you will be forever running away from storms & lightening.

They claim you can just travel around and take boats out. Well, I don't know how that works since they make you take classes at each location before you can go out. You have to learn the area with the local instructor.

We were really unhappy with the boat club. ALWAYS ask about the cancellation policy and get it in writing that you are allowed to quit but you will lose the entire $5,500 plus all your payments.

I would never, ever tell anyone to join Freedom. I think they are a rip off and they bank on people joining and quitting which is how they can have so many people join and never have a surplus of people.

Check out Waves or one of the other clubs. But I can tell you, steer clear from Freedom Boat Club and Drew Moon, their resident con man.

Last edited by ILoveLidoBeach; 07-03-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area