Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 06:07 AM

34 posts, read 180,958 times

Advertisements

Nurses, which hospital in Sarasota is the best to work for and why? I'm moving up there in a few months and any and all advice is welcome. Also, does anyone know the pay for an RN new grad? And what kind of shift diff and weekend diff do they pay?

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 06:55 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,816,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyheart View Post
Nurses, which hospital in Sarasota is the best to work for and why? I'm moving up there in a few months and any and all advice is welcome. Also, does anyone know the pay for an RN new grad? And what kind of shift diff and weekend diff do they pay?

Thanks for your help
My uncle works at Sarasota Memorial and I have a friend that's a charge nurse there as well. They both seem to be pleased working there. I'll have to call them up and quiz them to get a little more info for you.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 AM

Awww, thank you so much. Your a font of info on this forum

Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 AM

6,864 posts, read 11,999,380 times
Excluding Venice, Sarasota has only two hospitals, Sarasota Memorial or Doctors.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:13 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,621,518 times
Definately exclude Venice!

Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Yes, but which of the two is better? What's the new grad pay? and what is the shift diff and weekend diff?

Old 11-24-2009, 04:25 PM

166 posts, read 600,991 times
I don't know which is better to work at, but Sarasota Memorial is much larger and more prestigious than Doctors. Not to say Doctors is bad or anything. Sarasota Memorial is a community hospital and Doctors is private for profit. I'm pretty sure that Sarasota Memorial lists the starting rate under the job posting.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:42 PM

159 posts, read 458,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyheart View Post
Yes, but which of the two is better? What's the new grad pay? and what is the shift diff and weekend diff?
All I can say as a nurse of 2 1/2 years coming down from Indiana the pay at Sarasota Memorial was bad!!!! They did have a pretty good seasonal package but for full time with benefits it was awful. If it was that bad for my experience I would hate to see what a new grad would make. Florida is not known for paying their nurses well but I will tell you that the Atlantic side is paying much better but it does cost more to live there. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow girl View Post
All I can say as a nurse of 2 1/2 years coming down from Indiana the pay at Sarasota Memorial was bad!!!! They did have a pretty good seasonal package but for full time with benefits it was awful. If it was that bad for my experience I would hate to see what a new grad would make. Florida is not known for paying their nurses well but I will tell you that the Atlantic side is paying much better but it does cost more to live there. Good luck!
You also might want to add that in addition to the bad pay FL allows a higher number of patients for nurses to handle than most states.

So in addition to making less money there are more patients to deal with.

Makes for great healthcare...lol.

Having an elderly in-law in the hosptial(again) and getting to know some of the nurses(some are great, some not so good) they're set up to be overwhelmed here, because the state(no suprise) allows it.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:18 PM

159 posts, read 458,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You also might want to add that in addition to the bad pay FL allows a higher number of patients for nurses to handle than most states.

So in addition to making less money there are more patients to deal with.

Makes for great healthcare...lol.

Having an elderly in-law in the hosptial(again) and getting to know some of the nurses(some are great, some not so good) they're set up to be overwhelmed here, because the state(no suprise) allows it.
This is true! Patient to nurse ratio is much worse here than in Indiana. Other than the seasonal packages the pay is really bad for nurses here and is way backward from up north. Most are still on paper charting and semi-private rooms. Make sure you know what you're getting into before you sign anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area