Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times

Advertisements

I would give the person a tip based on what I would have given them to begin with. I do think it was very rude, and perhaps in that persons culture or mindset it was not. After that do you really need newspaper delivery? I'd cancel it. I think newspapers are well on their way to becoming extinct in the very near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 PM

70 posts, read 245,915 times
Default Mail carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
a bit less forward. I Xmas tip the mail lady ($50), the landscaper ($50), and will tip the newspaper deliverer ($25), as they do many nice things for me during the year. I might also tip the garbage men who are very good , although they change often, and you don't get a steady guy that you get to know.

But, I refuse to tip the lady on the hot dog cart with her tip jar, who hands me the hotdog I just purchased. Does she expect me to make it myself or feel that she is doing extra by handing it to me for $2.50????

I think I am a generous tipper for people who go out of their way for me, but I resent getting my arm twisted for "nothing special" service.
I cant imagine giving a tip to the mail carrier. They make good money, good benefits. I am suprised people tip them.
I tip my nail girl and pool guy. They both work for themselves and go out of their way to do a good job.
Thats about it for me. Although I think I would give the hot dog girl my change, she is standing out there in the heat, rain and I doubt she is making much money.
I know when I leave my job at nite there is nobody waiting to give me a tip for doing my job.
Not trying to sound cheap

Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 AM

301 posts, read 1,154,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
p.s. you tip your server in a restaraunt or bar don't you? And they also are just doing their job. But you know that they get paid squat and live on their tips. That is very different than a UPS or FedEx guy making $20 an hour.
I do tip my server BASED ON SERVICE, not because it's an obligation. They earn a lower base wage (much less than minimum wage), so their incentive for earning more is to provide great service. Those that do get a better tip. Those that don't might get 5% or nothing at all from me.
A newpaper delivery person gets a base wage, although probably much less than what you or I would consider liveable. Does that mean I am obligated to supplement his/her misfortune with a $50 tip?? I don't think so.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:39 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Does anyone else have my reaction: if you were going to tip the guy, this would make you change your mind?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:14 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times
One group I do tip is the musicians that sing and play at bars and have a tip jar, in most cases the bar/resturant lets them use their space and the only money they get is from the tip jar, now if they are not very good, well that's another story. Mr.Cool

Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
Let me add that today, we received a printed "Happy Holidays" flyer (stuffed in the newspaper baggie) from the guy who delivers the Pelican Press . It had his name & address printed on it. Not as forward as enclosing a self addressed stamped envelope but again, a "gentle reminder" that he expects a tip. Mind you, this is a free paper that just gets thrown on our driveway....wouldn't really matter to us if we got it or not.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:41 AM

301 posts, read 1,154,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Let me add that today, we received a printed "Happy Holidays" flyer (stuffed in the newspaper baggie) from the guy who delivers the Pelican Press . It had his name & address printed on it. Not as forward as enclosing a self addressed stamped envelope but again, a "gentle reminder" that he expects a tip. Mind you, this is a free paper that just gets thrown on our driveway....wouldn't really matter to us if we got it or not.
You should mail the flyer back to him

Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelte View Post
You should mail the flyer back to him
Exactly, with a bill for having to pick up the litter that he's throwing in your yard every week.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
We know out carrier gets it because we do get a thank you from them. If the company didn't forward their tip money I suspect some lawyer would get rich as a result so its not worth screwing around with.
p.s. you tip your server in a restaraunt or bar don't you? And they also are just doing their job. But you know that they get paid squat and live on their tips. That is very different than a UPS or FedEx guy making $20 an hour.
UPS in Florida $25 per hour,Postal Carrier similar plus a whole lot of benefits,they are well,well paid.My paper carrier delivers before 6:30,never an issue,will tip because you know they are at the bottom of the barrel.Has not solicited for tip but did leave Xmas card.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
My newspaper is always right where I need it, it's delivered the same time every day, and I don't have to fish it out of the bushes or the gutter. She deserves a tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area