Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:24 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I'm not kidding. I used to be a server years ago. If you live in an area, say Bradenton for example; those snowbirds who are there for the early bird dinner, do not tip well at all. The best tips are made here in the bars, not the restaurants. I've seen people do everything in their power here to not even have to pay the bill.
Oh yea, workin' the comp. Some people have mastered getting a free meal... 1 time I had some customers who ordered a platter of 25 buffalo wings & they ended up with 24. Honest mistake. They weren't happy to get 2 extra wings out before they finished what they had- no, they wanted the entire meal comped. Such pain & suffering from that one wing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 09:53 PM

171 posts, read 621,940 times
Smile A lot of interesting perspectives here...more of my thoughts

I have been told by several servers that the Canadians are the worst tippers. Every server runs the other way when a load of Canucks comes rolling in. I asked a Canadian friend about tipping and he agreed. He said they tip poorly to encourage servers to fight for a better wage. How's that for BS???

Anyway, homely women make less tips than good-looking ones- one of life's injustices. Ever notice how pretty and young most barmaids are???

If female servers relied exclusively on female customers for tips, they'd really starve. Sexuality plays a big role in tipping by men. Women are not impressed by the barmaids great whatever!!!

And finally, I tip the well-paid mail lady because she does so many nice things for me during the year, like holding my mail without me having to fill out all those forms, bringing stuff directly to the front door, and just being generally nice. I enjoy showing my appreciatopn- oh, and she's got great legs!!! Opps, you saw that one coming, didn't you???

Merry Christmas to all

Old 12-11-2009, 10:57 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
I have been told by several servers that the Canadians are the worst tippers. Every server runs the other way when a load of Canucks comes rolling in. I asked a Canadian friend about tipping and he agreed. He said they tip poorly to encourage servers to fight for a better wage. How's that for BS???

Anyway, homely women make less tips than good-looking ones- one of life's injustices. Ever notice how pretty and young most barmaids are???

If female servers relied exclusively on female customers for tips, they'd really starve. Sexuality plays a big role in tipping by men. Women are not impressed by the barmaids great whatever!!!

And finally, I tip the well-paid mail lady because she does so many nice things for me during the year, like holding my mail without me having to fill out all those forms, bringing stuff directly to the front door, and just being generally nice. I enjoy showing my appreciatopn- oh, and she's got great legs!!! Opps, you saw that one coming, didn't you???

Merry Christmas to all
right on. I got fired over the phone from one serving job; I had no idea why...my tips were great; the boss's wife didn't like me as she was the one who called. I had a serious bf at the time as well....go figure?

Old 12-12-2009, 06:41 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post

Merry Christmas to all
Haha! Funny post but accurate. We've missed you on the board Augie! Just met up with Big House & wife and Island Girl last night. Maybe you can make the next one

Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 PM

325 posts, read 1,023,749 times
I agree with everyone! Now can I have a tip.....LOL

Old 02-20-2014, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,318 times
Just throwing my 2 cents in here. First I am not a Newspaper carrier and I would never be one. I worked for Dayton Daily News for 5 and a half years in the customer service department fixing the mistakes that get called in on carriers. I don't think many people truly understand how little their carriers get paid and why they hope for or even expect tips. At our paper, and this is quite standard, a carrier buys his own bags (So when you ask to have your paper double bagged even on sunny days it costs them double) which are at least a penny a bag. They have to rent the bench space from the paper company inside the branch to fold and bag their papers at and they have to pay for gas. Most routes for DDN we're at 10 cents a paper, more for sundays. Then they cut the pay by 2 cents due to economic downturns and lost paper subscriptions so that's 8 cents a paper. They don't get a day off as they work 7 days a week 365 days a year and they must do their route no matter the weather conditions. If they miss one paper, it gets wet or for any other reason you have to call and complain ( and you should, it is a service) they are charged 3 dollars for each complaint. Now this is a large list that may seem kind of like one big complaint but I just want you to keep this in mind when you ask so mad about them giving you a christmas card asking for a tip (which the company suggests they do and sells them the cards to do it as well). At the end of the day you either have to be stupid or desperate to deliver the newspaper in my opinion and it is a business that is certainly going to die in the next 20 years but in the mean time have a little compassion for these people if you really do want your paper delivered or cancel your subscription and learn to use a computer, it will never ask you for a tip.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,189 times
I am opposed to tipping of any kind (but I always leave 20% at restaurants). Tipping is supposed to be a "bonus" for extra special service. But it has turned into an expectation, and I resent it.

I don't get tips at my job and ALL jobs are service jobs if you think about it. Oh well. Off my box now.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Guy View Post
Just throwing my 2 cents in here. First I am not a Newspaper carrier and I would never be one. I worked for Dayton Daily News for 5 and a half years in the customer service department fixing the mistakes that get called in on carriers. I don't think many people truly understand how little their carriers get paid and why they hope for or even expect tips. At our paper, and this is quite standard, a carrier buys his own bags (So when you ask to have your paper double bagged even on sunny days it costs them double) which are at least a penny a bag. They have to rent the bench space from the paper company inside the branch to fold and bag their papers at and they have to pay for gas. Most routes for DDN we're at 10 cents a paper, more for sundays. Then they cut the pay by 2 cents due to economic downturns and lost paper subscriptions so that's 8 cents a paper. They don't get a day off as they work 7 days a week 365 days a year and they must do their route no matter the weather conditions. If they miss one paper, it gets wet or for any other reason you have to call and complain ( and you should, it is a service) they are charged 3 dollars for each complaint. Now this is a large list that may seem kind of like one big complaint but I just want you to keep this in mind when you ask so mad about them giving you a christmas card asking for a tip (which the company suggests they do and sells them the cards to do it as well). At the end of the day you either have to be stupid or desperate to deliver the newspaper in my opinion and it is a business that is certainly going to die in the next 20 years but in the mean time have a little compassion for these people if you really do want your paper delivered or cancel your subscription and learn to use a computer, it will never ask you for a tip.
I understand that it is a thankless job. On the other hand, it's a conscious choice to get this thankless job because it pays something. I cant positively say, but I'm sure people that do this do it as a side job to supplement their regular pay, and i commend anyone that works for a living. Waiters and waitresses need to supplement their absurdly low wage with our tips, and I have no problem tipping someone when they are civil, helpful, smile and are attentive to my needs. If they're not, no tip. and if they're nasty i let them know and management as well.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:48 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Guy View Post
Wow, you dug up my post from 4 1/2 years ago... I'm flattered

Old 02-20-2014, 06:23 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
I am opposed to tipping of any kind (but I always leave 20% at restaurants). Tipping is supposed to be a "bonus" for extra special service. But it has turned into an expectation, and I resent it.

I don't get tips at my job and ALL jobs are service jobs if you think about it. Oh well. Off my box now.

don't we wish people would tip builders ....imagine 15% on a couple of hundred grand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area