U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,571 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are planning to move to North Port with in the next two years (maybe sooner) and we have been researching everything we can about North Port. I just happened to find this site and thought maybe some of you could help.

As for employment, it won't be a problem. He works for a company in Fort Wayne, IN that has loads to pick up in Florida, so he would be able to continue working for them until he decided to find something else. He has a CDL with Class A Haz-mat.

Right now I am a student and a trainer in a group home for the disabled. I am studing to be a pharmacy tech right now.

We own our home out right and plan to sell it to buy a home out right. We have looked on a few websites and have found a few that we like and they are cheaply priced. (We know prices will change between now and then.) This is what we are looking for in a home.

2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath or 2, 1000 sq. ft or more, would like to have a channel or canal close by, 1 or 2 car garage, and a nice yard.

Our children are grown, so schools are not important. We do have grandchildren and I'm sure they will be visiting.

What kinds of things are there to do around North Port? Shopping? How is the Weather, cause it is really cold here!

We might even consider a place near by. Would prefer to stay out of the big cities.

Any information will be helpful. Thank you for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 PM

7,484 posts, read 19,342,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggysue2767 View Post
My fiance and I are planning to move to North Port with in the next two years (maybe sooner) and we have been researching everything we can about North Port. I just happened to find this site and thought maybe some of you could help.

As for employment, it won't be a problem. He works for a company in Fort Wayne, IN that has loads to pick up in Florida, so he would be able to continue working for them until he decided to find something else. He has a CDL with Class A Haz-mat.

Right now I am a student and a trainer in a group home for the disabled. I am studing to be a pharmacy tech right now.

We own our home out right and plan to sell it to buy a home out right. We have looked on a few websites and have found a few that we like and they are cheaply priced. (We know prices will change between now and then.) This is what we are looking for in a home.

2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath or 2, 1000 sq. ft or more, would like to have a channel or canal close by, 1 or 2 car garage, and a nice yard.

Our children are grown, so schools are not important. We do have grandchildren and I'm sure they will be visiting.

What kinds of things are there to do around North Port? Shopping? How is the Weather, cause it is really cold here!

We might even consider a place near by. Would prefer to stay out of the big cities.

Any information will be helpful. Thank you for reading.
I live in North Port. Reading your post it sounds if NP might be a good fit for you. The main issue with the area is lack of jobs. If you have that covered than you've accomplished your biggest hurdle.

I know you said that you only need a 2 1 1/2 bath but if I were you I'd look at 3/2's. None of the newer homes are 2/1's. I think you could pick up a 3/2 for a similar price as a 2/1 and the resale value would usually be better as well as the insurance (on a newer home).

North Port is the second largest city in the state of Florida in land area but most of it is undeveloped. There is a Home Depot, WalMart, Publix, Walgreens, several small restaurants. In nearby Port Charlotte (5-10 mins away) there's The Port Charlotte Mall with Dillard's, Macy's, Sears, Hollister, movie theater, food court, etc. Also in Port Charlotte there's Olive Garden, Outback, Chili's, Carrabba's, Denny's, etc.

The average temperature in North Port is 73 degrees. It's about 35 minutes to the closest beach. About 40 minutes or so to Sarasota where you have even more shopping, restaurants, etc

Not sure what website you are using to search but you might want to use: http://www.myfloridahomesmls.com/ It has the most up to date info.

Good luck with your search

Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM

418 posts, read 912,868 times
We have lived here in NP for five years now, we had our home built on a street where there was only one other home. Now the street is full as with many other streets here in NP. The shopping is great here and a nice mall is about five miles south in Port Charlotte.
Today it was 80* mostly sunny. Venice beach is about 30 min. north, also has a wonderful walking downtown. NP has many canals and two rivers. I just don't have any negative things to say about it. Come on down and enjoy.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:01 PM

383 posts, read 852,185 times
North Port is within 10-15 mins. from some of the best shopping we have seen anywhere(Port Charlotte) and also just about any major restaurant you can think of is there too. Also there is great shopping just north in Venice.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Thank you all for the information. Sounds like NP will be a great place for us. Once our house is ready to go on the market we will definetly be moving soon. We are planing a trip in late March for a week to see everything. Have never been to NP, so we are very excited.

Thanks again!!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 AM

3,568 posts, read 3,177,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I live in North Port. Reading your post it sounds if NP might be a good fit for you. The main issue with the area is lack of jobs. If you have that covered than you've accomplished your biggest hurdle.

I know you said that you only need a 2 1 1/2 bath but if I were you I'd look at 3/2's. None of the newer homes are 2/1's. I think you could pick up a 3/2 for a similar price as a 2/1 and the resale value would usually be better as well as the insurance (on a newer home).

North Port is the second largest city in the state of Florida in land area but most of it is undeveloped. There is a Home Depot, WalMart, Publix, Walgreens, several small restaurants. In nearby Port Charlotte (5-10 mins away) there's The Port Charlotte Mall with Dillard's, Macy's, Sears, Hollister, movie theater, food court, etc. Also in Port Charlotte there's Olive Garden, Outback, Chili's, Carrabba's, Denny's, etc.

The average temperature in North Port is 73 degrees. It's about 35 minutes to the closest beach. About 40 minutes or so to Sarasota where you have even more shopping, restaurants, etc

Not sure what website you are using to search but you might want to use: Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS It has the most up to date info.

Good luck with your search
Understanding that you live in North Port are there advantages to living in North Port over Port Charlotte and vice versa?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 AM

66 posts, read 122,407 times
i just bought a home in north port and spent all of november down there. i love it. even though i'm in a subdivision, i can walk my dog at night and never see a passing car. the ONLY problem i have with my location is that there is still a lot of I75 traffic noise. oh, and some of the drivers down there are real A-holes. they love, speeding, honking their horns and letting you know that it is they who know how to drive and not you. they should move back to NY Schitty...

Old 12-25-2009, 02:59 PM

I am going to now ask some questions about the cost of living in the NP area. Like how much is a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk? What is the cost of unleaded gasoline? You know the normal everyday type things. Thanks

Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Understanding that you live in North Port are there advantages to living in North Port over Port Charlotte and vice versa?
I don't know if you'd call them advantages but reasons I picked North Port over Port Charlotte are: the school system. I wanted my children to attend Pine View School and you must be a resident of Sarasota county for them to attend. Another reason is that 95% of homes in NP do not require flood insurance. Also NP is closer to the beaches and most of the homes in NP were built in 2000 or newer and many of the shopping areas were built in 2000 or newer. It's generally a "newer" city than PC. Typically the cost for home owners insurance would be cheaper in a newer home.

Those are just a few of my reasons with the primary one being Pine View School. That was the ultimate reason I moved from PC to NP about 10 years ago.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggysue2767 View Post
I am going to now ask some questions about the cost of living in the NP area. Like how much is a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk? What is the cost of unleaded gasoline? You know the normal everyday type things. Thanks
I'm kind of bad about keeping track of things like the above but I have to go to the store in the next few days and can post figures then. Typically I get my boxed stuff from WalMart cause it's usually way cheaper than Publix and then I go to Publix for my veggies and fruits cause WalMart's are usually gross

For gas prices you can use this website to keep tabs of anyplace in the US and Canada. North Port Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices in North Port, Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area