Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 9,074 times

Advertisements

We want to make the move to Florida, but I will not relocate until I secure a job. Are companies still using headhunter/recruiters in this economy? I have a BS in Business Admin. with 16 years experience. We are moving from Connecticut. I do know about the difference in payscales. I went to college in Boca and my wife and I lived in Pompano for a year. That was 17 years ago. We are now interested in the West Coast. We are going to put our house on the market to cash out instead of succumbing to growing costs. This starts the plan in motion. We know this is worst time to make the move but we don't want to delay our future any longer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM

65 posts, read 260,021 times
Default Very Few Jobs Here

I am sure you have the best of intentions, but you need to understand that this is a very, very tough market. Most folks can't even find entry-level type positions, let alone executive level. There are a slew of high school kids in our schools that can't even get restaurant or retail work because any available jobs are snatched up by retirees and semi-retirees the minute they become available. The only exception appears to be health care related careers.

Please don't give up your current lifestyle unless you can afford to sit for awhile. As far as recruiters go, I am an executive recruiter and I do zero business in Sarasota. Mostly this is because there aren't many executive-type careers available here. Also, right now companies are less likely to pay for headhunting services since they can obtain an abundance of applicants through simple advertisements.

Good luck in your search. Maybe Tampa would be a better fit as there seem to be more openings there.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:00 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRan View Post
I am sure you have the best of intentions, but you need to understand that this is a very, very tough market. Most folks can't even find entry-level type positions, let alone executive level. There are a slew of high school kids in our schools that can't even get restaurant or retail work because any available jobs are snatched up by retirees and semi-retirees the minute they become available. The only exception appears to be health care related careers.

Please don't give up your current lifestyle unless you can afford to sit for awhile. As far as recruiters go, I am an executive recruiter and I do zero business in Sarasota. Mostly this is because there aren't many executive-type careers available here. Also, right now companies are less likely to pay for headhunting services since they can obtain an abundance of applicants through simple advertisements.

Good luck in your search. Maybe Tampa would be a better fit as there seem to be more openings there.
Excellent post & advice!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:35 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Excellent post & advice!
ctdavefl, SoFLGal makes a living selling houses. I'm sure she would love to have your business, but instead, in typically honest fashion, she is suggesting that you heed the excellent advice from FlaRan.

FlaRan's post is a very accurate description of what's going on in SW Florida right now.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:09 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
ctdavefl, SoFLGal makes a living selling houses. I'm sure she would love to have your business, but instead, in typically honest fashion, she is suggesting that you heed the excellent advice from FlaRan.

FlaRan's post is a very accurate description of what's going on in SW Florida right now.
Thanks Tommy! Just trying to keep it real. Like was said, FlaRan did an excellent job of describing the conditions here. As you know, it doesn't do any good to encourage posters to move here if it's not going to be to their advantage. In some situations making the move would work out OK and some situations it would be disastrous. I think most people on the board give excellent advice.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Thanks Tommy! Just trying to keep it real. Like was said, FlaRan did an excellent job of describing the conditions here. As you know, it doesn't do any good to encourage posters to move here if it's not going to be to their advantage. In some situations making the move would work out OK and some situations it would be disastrous. I think most people on the board give excellent advice.

Another example of how honest and reputable you are! When it would be good to encourage someone to come here and possibly pick up a sale. You tell the truth, when it is clearly a conflict of an effort to make a sale. Of course it is clearly the honest, forth right way you have always represented your self. You always do the right thing! Which truly is the best business practice! You are a great resource for those that need help. They can come here and count on you.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:56 PM

Thank you for the honest replies. The situation calls for us to sell the house while it still has value. We are going to make the move, it is now just where and when. I am not looking for an executive level position. I do value your opinions and understand the current conditions that you have illustrated. I am checking out government work which opens the geographic possibilities. I am glad that this site exists. Florida is just too big and varied to know all the cities and counties and their respective personalities. Are there nice suburbs outside of Tampa and Orlando?

Old 12-14-2009, 06:10 AM

301 posts, read 1,154,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdavefl View Post
Thank you for the honest replies. The situation calls for us to sell the house while it still has value. We are going to make the move, it is now just where and when. I am not looking for an executive level position. I do value your opinions and understand the current conditions that you have illustrated. I am checking out government work which opens the geographic possibilities. I am glad that this site exists. Florida is just too big and varied to know all the cities and counties and their respective personalities. Are there nice suburbs outside of Tampa and Orlando?
When you say "government work", you definitely want to do your homework here too. Because of large tax deficits (due to excessive waste and spending for many years), most county governments and the state of FL have drastically cut pay scales. For example, the State of FL was looking to fill an advanced engineering position for the Dept of Transportation in Hillsborough County (Tampa). This required 8-10 years exp in DOT engineering and a bachelor's in civil engineering. Starting salary was $33,377!!!!!! What a joke!! So the people that design and build Florida's roadways & bridges might make less than a secretary. But who knows, maybe they have one heck of a benefits plan

Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 AM

65 posts, read 260,021 times
Default What field are you in?

I just signed on and saw the compliments from several posters. Thank you!

To the OP, regarding nice suburbs outside of Tampa and Orlando, there are plenty. As you mentioned, this is a big state. Please let us know specifically what fields you are interested in pursuing job prospects in. Most of us can speak locally about what we observe and about our areas of expertise.

Personally, I am an executive recruiter in financial services and the work I do is conducted by phone from my virtual office. Any openings I see are usually in major metros such as LA, NY, Chicago, Houston, etc. I do occasionally see positions in Miami, Orlando, and Tampa. However, the pay is usually not competitive with national numbers. Times are changing though and EVERYONE is getting cheap. Employers are now offering significantly less for jobs than they did two years ago.

Maybe if you provide some details as to your fields of interest, several other posters can chime in with possibilities. During this recession here in Florida we have seen teaching jobs eliminated, government jobs shrink, and huge lines at career fairs. Many freelance folks like contractors, realtors, and mortgage brokers have put their shingles away. Since these types of jobs fuel our economy, spending at restaurants and other venues has dropped, forcing the closing of retail businesses. There has been an uptick in crime and increased need at our local foodbanks.

At least the weather is still beautiful and the people in our area are friendly.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:09 PM

I am currently in the construction field. (I'll wait for the laughter to die down) It is bad up here ,but not even close to what you guys are going through. I was looking to change industries anyway. I am a part owner and vice president of a flooring contract business. We do both residential and commercial. It is primarily family owned but has been a corporation for 30 years. I am under no illusion of making equal pay. We are just looking to be Floridians again. My initial job search has shown that experience only seems to count if it is job specific. I do not know if my experience in construction estimating and blueprint reading would be valuable in other fields. We have also adjusted our "wants" list by not centering our search in any one area of Florida. We can go to wherever an opportunity may arise. Sorry for the rambling post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area