Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:41 PM

52 posts, read 138,148 times

Advertisements

I'd just like to agree with posters who say you need to be vigilant everywhere nowadays. Most of Bradenton isn't as bad as people here are saying although it's not the sleepy southern town it used to be either. I've lived in Florida on and off since the 60s.. the whole state has always attracted dislocated people, drifters, etc. as well as retirees, and more recently, families. Unfortunately so many jobs are in the building industry, the families are first to suffer from the real estate downturn. But this is a boom/bust kind of state, always has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:48 AM

19 posts, read 47,479 times
It's funny how much B'town sounds like a hot, steamy, carbon copy of our Mountain View part of Anchorage and I wouldn't live there on a bet. OTH, I do live in SW Anchorage and it's pretty nice but has it's (lower) share of crimes. No muggings...yet. Frequently we don't lock the doors and almost leave the deck door open in "summer," when it's not howling (yesterday) or raining.

Thanks for the comments. My Lady is thinking of working at a place in Manatee County and we'll need to live in the area. Sarasota looks good from all the posts.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:54 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,553,169 times
Crime's there too.

There's going to be crime anywhere you go. Easy accessibility to weapons, for one thing. But even though there IS crime, you might just be lucky--like me--and not encounter it.

Someone accosts you in a bar? I don't consider that a "crime". Just an unpleasant circumstance of where you're at.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:17 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,366,357 times
Quote:
Crime's there too.

There's going to be crime anywhere you go.
It is true that there is crime everywhere. But having lived in a big city, the crime or should I say types of crime in Bradenton surprised me. Constant break-ins, child kidnapped at busstop, woman kidnapped out of her own house and killed, kid killed by drive-by shooting, gang shooting on the beach on EASTER, there just seems to be way more of this stuff going on in Bradenton than in a big city where you'd sort of expect it.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,553,169 times
Bradenton is too big.

50,000 people is a lot, and it has more than that. I come from a town of less than 10,000. I'd even like to find a town of just a couple hundred...but could I walk to work then?

Yes, I've READ about all this crime, but somehow it's never touched me, and since I walk, and am out and about, I should have been mugged by now....but it's never happened.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:11 AM

95 posts, read 355,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
Nice one!

I too live very close to Cortez and 75th. Not a lot has happened recently, but just about a month or two ago, a man was walking home and was robbed at gunpoint. Happened on Cortez Rd. just in front of Harbour Pointe Apts.

Colonial Grand Apts. at Palma Sola has also seen it's share of crime. Many times they have had car robberies, apt. break-in's, etc.

Early in 2008, the west area had what I nicknamed "Graffiti Thursday". Up and down both Cortez Rd. and 75th Street- graffiti was everywhere. Buildings, walls, signs. Most of it has been cleaned up, but on the side of the Badcock Building on Cortez- you can see that they painted over the letters on the side of the builidng. It's very visible.

More things happen in this area then people think. I can list you a number of things, if I had A LOT of time.
I use to live in Colonial Grand Apts at Palma Sola and even the maintence workers get into people apartments and steal things. Strippers, Rapist, Weed Sellsmen, Killers, .. the whole 9 yards live up in that place. We left that place (broke the lease) during 3am for the safety of our family. Who ever says west side is safe don`t have a clue. Try living here and you'll see it day by day.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,394 times
Read the New Yorker article Florida The Ponzi State tells it all. Florida has collapsed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area