Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,363 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving down to Sarasota, Florida once our house is sold in Maryland. I am looking into opening up a daycare facility or a Reception Hall for life events such as weddings, birthdays etc. The reception hall would also include a restaurant with live entertainment such as belly and latino dance.

I would like some information on the best places and market to look into where this kind of businesses can succeed. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 07:21 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,918,978 times
I don't know of any reception halls in Sarasota. When I went to the Wedding Expo a few years ago, I think there were mostly country clubs, hotels, and private upscale clubs providing reception facilities.
New restaurants are always welcome.
As for daycare, I'm not sure. I do know, there has been a substantial loss of young families that have left the area.
Good luck.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:29 PM

385 posts, read 1,158,747 times
Well I was on the other end thinking there is an abundance of places available for events. I was thinking a daycare would at least secure you with all those the VPK vouchers. My son went straight to private pre-k so I don't know too much about the VPK program, but I always see tons of cars outside the daycare by my home when they are enrolling for VPK. Sarasota has a number of daycares, but from what I understand, the list of really good ones is short.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:58 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,918,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
Well I was on the other end thinking there is an abundance of places available for events.
I'm sorry my post may have gotten misunderstood. What I meant by there are no reception halls, is there are no actual places called "reception halls" which are stand alone buildings that cater to events only. A common sight in northern states and not seen here in this area.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:48 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,080,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korosol View Post
My husband and I are planning on moving down to Sarasota, Florida once our house is sold in Maryland. I am looking into opening up a daycare facility or a Reception Hall for life events such as weddings, birthdays etc. The reception hall would also include a restaurant with live entertainment such as belly and latino dance.

I would like some information on the best places and market to look into where this kind of businesses can succeed. Thanks.

Korosol,
Welcome to the board! You will find a lot of great information here!
I recently purchased in SWFL, I'm just south in Punta Gorda. I live in Timonium as well. Where are you from?
That type of business may do OK in Sarasota, but life down here is different than in MD.
You'll get a pretty balanced view from this site, both the positives and the negatives.
If you have any questions feel free to DM me (send me a direct message) it works like email, and maintains your anonomity. Click on my name, and a drop down window will allow you to send me a direct message if you like, or you can DM any others the same way.

Good Luck!
Are you coming down for a visit?

Old 12-13-2009, 03:54 PM

385 posts, read 1,158,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
I'm sorry my post may have gotten misunderstood. What I meant by there are no reception halls, is there are no actual places called "reception halls" which are stand alone buildings that cater to events only. A common sight in northern states and not seen here in this area.
I understood what you meant. It may work, but I think it's taking a bigger gamble than the daycare. You see, we do have an abundance of places in town for people to rent for their events. One of the big draws in our area are the scenic ones especially. I understand the whole reception hall thing because I am from the northeast. It is going to have to be one hell of a reception hall, to pull in enough business from the hotels, country clubs, museums, parks, even some church halls, to make a go of it, not to mention it would have to be a first rate catering facility going up against the likes of culinary superstars Mattisons, Michaels on East, and Fete. Something I think you are going to find especially difficult without being from here and dialed in.

I am thinking in terms of a grander scale though so if you you were wanting to do something on a smaller basic scale maybe that would work in your favor. I'm sure there are alot people who would like to find an inexpensive place for rent. Just remember that our parks are free, and they are beautiful. We have lot's of houses of worship which usually have some sort of hall as well. Have you looked into seeing how many free standing facilities we have like this right now in Sarasota?

Old 12-13-2009, 06:49 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
I understood what you meant. It may work, but I think it's taking a bigger gamble than the daycare. You see, we do have an abundance of places in town for people to rent for their events. One of the big draws in our area are the scenic ones especially. I understand the whole reception hall thing because I am from the northeast. It is going to have to be one hell of a reception hall, to pull in enough business from the hotels, country clubs, museums, parks, even some church halls, to make a go of it, not to mention it would have to be a first rate catering facility going up against the likes of culinary superstars Mattisons, Michaels on East, and Fete. Something I think you are going to find especially difficult without being from here and dialed in.

I am thinking in terms of a grander scale though so if you you were wanting to do something on a smaller basic scale maybe that would work in your favor. I'm sure there are alot people who would like to find an inexpensive place for rent. Just remember that our parks are free, and they are beautiful. We have lot's of houses of worship which usually have some sort of hall as well. Have you looked into seeing how many free standing facilities we have like this right now in Sarasota?
I agree with you, there is a real abundance of places here for receptions, many free like the parks, and then upscale ones like the Rustic Grill or Ringling Mansion and places like that. I definitely do not recommend trying to open that type business at all. I am thinking a really good daycare facility would stand a better chance, especially in this economy.

Just my .02 cents.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:33 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with you, there is a real abundance of places here for receptions, many free like the parks, and then upscale ones like the Rustic Grill or Ringling Mansion and places like that. I definitely do not recommend trying to open that type business at all. I am thinking a really good daycare facility would stand a better chance, especially in this economy.

Just my .02 cents.
Yacht/boat maintenance. Lawn care. Maid service. Personal Assistant. The money is just not flowing like it used to in regards to "services." You stand a better chance of making a killing November through April in the service industries. Even those with money have cut back on unnecessary expenses. It just isn't happening.

I was at the Atomic Bazaar today. People were not dropping cash readily. I had to laugh as my girlfriend's daughter tried on this unique bracelet; price tag $2,100. She's eleven. I thought the designer was going to fall over backwards when she told him her age. We went early & got great gift bags, way worth the $5 admission.

If you're planning on opening a business research your target market carefully.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:57 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,687,119 times
The economy has hit Sarasota and Florida hard. Day care now one person is home and does day care.
B4 you move watch any morning show and florida and people have been hit hard! People also
have no money to spent if they want the home. You also would be the new kid, and that also is not
so great! People do have the option of a cruise also and price is not too bad?

Old 12-17-2009, 05:57 AM

164 posts, read 383,111 times
Services that cater to seniors seems like the best bet for this area. Many many older people here even in the hot months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area