Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 AM

683 posts, read 465,002 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be graduating in about a year with her BSN (Nursing). Not that it matters, but I am planning to move to either Sarasota, St. Augustine or HH in a few years.

Is Sarasota a good place for nursing jobs (newly degreed nurse with no experience)..and is it a good place for a very young 20 year old? If Sarasota isn't the ideal place for someone this young starting out in a nursing field and socially, are there any other areas in Florida (or anyplace warm) that would be good?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:52 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
I'm not really the most qualified person to answer this question, but I do know that Sarasota has a lot of good medical facilitates, and excellent hospitals. I assume that would be where you are looking to work. So my thought would be "Yes, Sarasota is a good area for a newly graduated BSN."

Sarasota has a all-good atmosphere. I think you will be OK.

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:07 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,257 times
I have a home in borh Sarasota and St Augustine. The latter is far superior in medical facilities but less job opportunities as less hospitals and doctors as the population is far younger
I find the quality of the medical profession here in Sarasota very poor as they are motivated by money and treating as much as they can the older persons who tend to frequent them more as a daily routine than out of need. I find the hospitals in St Augustine far superior and of course the Mayo Clinic is nearby
However go where the work opportunity is and probably that would be Sarasota
If you are young then ST Augustine would be my choice for living

Old 12-20-2009, 12:24 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,337 times
I agree Peter the Brit. St. Augustine would be a much better city for a young nursing graduate, if having a life outside of work is important.

BTW...what is HH?

Old 12-20-2009, 12:43 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,707 times
Depends on what kind of nursing your daughter is interested in - Sarasota has two "big" hospitals but also a lot of opportunity in freestanding surgery clinics (ASC accredited). I do contract work in a different capacity in one of the hospitals and find the level of care is pretty good.

Although a lot of people feel that doctors order "unnecessary" tests or procedures "for the money", keep in mind that Florida has NO TORT REFORM - what this means to anyone who is ultimately responsible for patient care (i.e. anyone who can be sued) such as myself is that we have to cover our a$$es.

Of course Mayo is near Jacksonville. For what it's worth, Cleveland Clinic has a facility in Florida as well. Shands in Gainesville/Jacksonville are also great research facilities as well. Depends on what your daughter is looking for. Sarasota tends to have a much older population but there are some younger folks around. If she's just wanting to get her feet wet in hospital nursing, then either would be a good choice - go where the money is. If she's interested in a particular area of nursing OR wants to further her education, look for those opportunities.

If HH is Hilton Head, don't do it year-round for a 20-year old. Bo-ring.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:55 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
My daughter will be graduating in about a year with her BSN (Nursing). Not that it matters, but I am planning to move to either Sarasota, St. Augustine or HH in a few years.

Is Sarasota a good place for nursing jobs (newly degreed nurse with no experience)..and is it a good place for a very young 20 year old? If Sarasota isn't the ideal place for someone this young starting out in a nursing field and socially, are there any other areas in Florida (or anyplace warm) that would be good?

Thanks!
Sarasota will have plenty of great opportunities for her. It is also much larger town than St. Augustine. Yes, we do have a lot of older folks, but plenty of young ones, too, as we have three highly acclaimed smaller colleges in the area (USF Branch, New College, and Ringling College of Art. This is a great place to live. My new neighbors are both young and work at the hospitals here, they love it!

Old 12-20-2009, 01:17 PM

162 posts, read 305,886 times
I have been researching nursing jobs in Sarasota myself and there are plenty for both experienced and graduate nurse. Just go onto the websites of each hospital in the area and look in their careers section. St Augustine has not many, but as others have said, Jax has zillions.
Also I also agree with yellfire - as long as Americans continue to be lawsuit-happy, "unnecessary" tests and procedures will continue and so will the sky rocketing costs of health care. How can a cat scan cost $90 in Japan, but $2000 in the US? An EKG $40 in New Zealand, but $400 here. It's truly mind - blowing.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:48 PM

683 posts, read 465,002 times
Wow. Plenty of responses, so thank you all. HH, by the way, is Hilton Head. And no, I would not want her to start out there because it really isn't a young persons world.

When I said St. Augustine, I truly meant the Jacksonville area, so thank you everyone for picking up on that. I didn't know the Mayo clinic and a location in Florida. Very interesting.

Thank you once again for all of your responses. I don't need my daughter to start out her career in the same place that I will be living in (heck, I'm till stuck here in NJ!)....but I wanted to know what the options were.

Now, if I can only get my younger daugher (she's in college too) to figure out a CAREER!!! that would be great!

Happy Holidays to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area