U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:21 PM

440 posts, read 858,613 times

Advertisements

This is our first trip here after purchasing in Sarasota. After reading about all the traffic and crowding in the restaurants during the season, we were dreading being here at Christmas. Where is the traffic? Is this a typical season or did the economy have such a serious impact? Is this too early to see the effects of the snow bird season? Maybe it's just that I'm from NJ so I'm used to crowds. The only place we saw crowds was at the movie theaters. BTW, love Sarasota!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 06:23 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,314,656 times
It does tend to slacken around the holidays for a brief time.
Give it until the 2nd week of Jan.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 PM

513 posts, read 1,037,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
This is our first trip here after purchasing in Sarasota. After reading about all the traffic and crowding in the restaurants during the season, we were dreading being here at Christmas. Where is the traffic? Is this a typical season or did the economy have such a serious impact? Is this too early to see the effects of the snow bird season? Maybe it's just that I'm from NJ so I'm used to crowds. The only place we saw crowds was at the movie theaters. BTW, love Sarasota!
Excellent post. Please keep those of us watching from afar posted on your observations over the following months. Getting straight dope from a newcomer versus propaganda from the Chamber of Commerce crowd is priceless information.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:15 PM

440 posts, read 858,613 times
Thanks, Dreamy. So far, the downtown area seems very easy to navigate in. We saw "Putnam Valley Spelling Bee" at the Florida Studio Theater last night- top quality actors/singers- same quality as when I saw it on Broadway- easy parking, intimate theater setting. My DH and I have been walking almost every Am on Siesta Beach- We're there from about 8:30-10:30. Parking lot pretty empty tho the weather hasn't been exactly warm lately.Also went to Lido Beach, also nice.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:41 PM

14,448 posts, read 28,997,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Snowbird season does not hit full swing until about the middle of January. Holiday time traffic is always fairly light around here.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:57 PM

513 posts, read 1,037,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Snowbird season does not hit full swing until about the middle of January. Holiday time traffic is always fairly light around here.
OK, I was curious what the months were for "snowbird season," so I looked it up.

"The snowbird season runs Oct. 1 to March 31."

USATODAY.com - Florida 'snowbirds,' 'transplants' skittish?

So, are you saying that the area is really only on the upswing with snowbirds from mid-January through March? Two months out of the year? That's it?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:03 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,314,656 times
That's generally the peak....after the new year and until Easter

Old 12-27-2009, 08:06 PM

7,484 posts, read 19,087,737 times
Yeah that's when housing sales spike as well. The end of January-around April. Guess it correlates with the increased traffic.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:41 PM

3,380 posts, read 5,195,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
OK, I was curious what the months were for "snowbird season," so I looked it up.

So, are you saying that the area is really only on the upswing with snowbirds from mid-January through March? Two months out of the year? That's it?
When I was in the restaurant industry here you could pretty well count on it being Thanksgiving through Easter (with some variance on either end). There tends to be an early season push (usually coinciding with the first major snow storm up north), and then some folks go back up for the holidays. As others have pointed out, it really gets busy in the couple of weeks after New Years.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 PM

4,573 posts, read 11,867,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post

January 1st through the end of April with March 31st through April 15th as the mass exodus weekends.

It used to be prime season in the past from November 1st on. Now it's just a ruse to raise food & lodging prices.

It's anyone's guess this year due to the economy. I wouldn't want to be relying on tips, that's for sure....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area