U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:53 AM

41 posts, read 53,321 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking for about 6 months, since I decided to move to Florida to retire. I am an ICU nurse and will retire in spring, 2011, God willing.....
Right now I live in Albuquerque.

I hope to move to Venice, so thank you to everyone who posts here--very informative. And I'm crossing my fingers that ZZB gets to relocate soon.
Only a few general questions--I don't plan to buy a house, so no issues with all of that. Looking at Woodmere Apts in Venice.

As a backup plan, also looking at Punta Gorda and the Lakes at Toscana Apts.
Any thoughts on the 2 areas or advice? I'm happily single, a young 60, but not into the singles scene. Looking to meet new friends and enjoy beautiful sunsets and the beaches. I don't plan to work ever again (40 years as a nurse, mostly ICU, is enough) but will need to do something-maybe newcomers' club, etc. Any thoughts on local hospitals-for care-and HMO's. I get my medical plan through the federal government and will be looking at HMO's--Humana and United are a few of my choices. Experiences with some of these? Best cable? I saw a thread of Verizon FIOS that was favorable. Right now I have Direct TV and internet though Comcast.

And off topic--anyone have a Kindle? Looking at that as my next gadget--I love to read and it seems like a great idea.....

And I hope I can join your get-togethers when I move....
A happy and blessed new year to everyone-

Last edited by patsyh; 12-28-2009 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 AM

7,484 posts, read 19,191,354 times
Hi There and welcome to the forum!

Here's my thoughts on the two. Lakes of Tuscana in PG/PC is very close to the interstate. You might hear some highway noise due to that. Also it's quite a bit farther than from the beaches than Woodmere Apartments. If you lived in Venice you could just shoot up to Sarasota for the evening for more things to do. In your situation I'd probably go for the Woodmere Apts but certainly come down and check them both out.

I have United Healthcare for myself and my family and have been pleased with coverage and there seems to be quite a few doctors that accept it.

I have Comcast and I like it but it's kind of expensive. Never had Verizon FIOS so I can't comment on that. I have DirecTv and I like that. I don't really have any issues with it.

I just looked up the Kindle and it looks neat but I've never used one.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:02 AM

Thank you for your quick reply and all of your replies, actually--I've learned a lot from you on this forum. I'm also leaning towards Woodmere.
I look forward to meeting you at a get-together.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:38 PM

475 posts, read 716,713 times
Hi Patsyh, I hope to retire to Fl in a yr or less so the only comment I have is that I too will be looking for an apt in Venice and if you want to save a bunch I'd wait a while for the Kindle price to come down. I also look forward to meeting folks from the forum, so many of them really seem to care about helping people with their Fl questions. Blessings to you,Keith

Old 12-29-2009, 01:42 AM

204 posts, read 501,820 times
patsyh,

A few quick opinions:
1) We have both Comcast (personal) and FIOS (office). FIOS is rock solid, has been for just over a year without a single issue. Comcast has been an unmitigated disaster with many unexplained outages during the same time period (in fact, TV signal has been degrading since the weekend, and finally lost it altogether tonight).

2) I have used both the Kindle 2 (gave to mom for her birthday) and the Kindle DX (gift from wife for my birthday), and thoroughly enjoy them both. The DX, while more expensive, is definitely more versatile (has much better software for viewing PDF files, so you're not stuck with only what Amazon sells) and is easier on the eyes due to the much larger screen, however it's a bit heavier.

3) As for keithhtt's comment about waiting for the Kindle price to come down, well, you can say that about any new electronics, but I see it like this: if the convenience/satisfaction/joy of owning it now outweighs waiting for an unknown price drop at an unknown time in the future, treat yourself to something good once in a while. If you buy it now and enjoy it for a year before the price drops an additional $50, does it really matter? You managed to get an extra year of enjoyment out of it!

The Kindle is one of the few electronic devices that passes my pretty high standards for gadgets- I'm a former technophile (an early adopter of cutting edge technology), still very curious about what's new, but more cautious about adopting it early, now that I have a family to support and a business to run.

If you are an avid reader of new books but don't have time to go to the public library/don't want to wait in the library queue for new releases, or perhaps love the classics which you can often get for free online, the Kindle will probably save you enough money to justify before too long. If you travel frequently and want to bring your entire library with you, there's no other feasible way, short of hiring a personal valet with a strong back.

I'm still a fan of printed books, of course- I just bought my son a copy of the latest Oxford Atlas of the World ... it's huge, gorgeous, filled with color and life that an e-book reader can't touch. But when it comes to buying new novels, the Kindle wins hands down on price (often half the hardcover cost), convenience (can carry thousands of books in a 10 ounce package!), speed (a purchased book downloads to your Kindle within a minute or so, wirelessly) ... I'm sure there's some argument to be made for the reduced carbon footprint of digital media, if you consume more than a certain number of books that you would have otherwise purchased in physical form.

Oof, that's enough evangelizing for one night.

HHH

Old 12-29-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Hi Patsyh, I hope to retire to Fl in a yr or less so the only comment I have is that I too will be looking for an apt in Venice and if you want to save a bunch I'd wait a while for the Kindle price to come down. I also look forward to meeting folks from the forum, so many of them really seem to care about helping people with their Fl questions. Blessings to you,Keith
The Woodmere seems to be the best that I've seen--not a lot of offerings. Punta Gorda has a nice one that I mentioned in my original post but as SoFLGal mentioned, it's farther from the beach.
Looking forward to meeting you and everyone--maybe we'll be neighbors......keep in touch if you find something interesting apt wise

Last edited by patsyh; 12-29-2009 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: forgot

Old 12-29-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHelmhazzard View Post
patsyh,

A few quick opinions:
1) We have both Comcast (personal) and FIOS (office). FIOS is rock solid, has been for just over a year without a single issue. Comcast has been an unmitigated disaster with many unexplained outages during the same time period (in fact, TV signal has been degrading since the weekend, and finally lost it altogether tonight).

2) I have used both the Kindle 2 (gave to mom for her birthday) and the Kindle DX (gift from wife for my birthday), and thoroughly enjoy them both. The DX, while more expensive, is definitely more versatile (has much better software for viewing PDF files, so you're not stuck with only what Amazon sells) and is easier on the eyes due to the much larger screen, however it's a bit heavier.

3) As for keithhtt's comment about waiting for the Kindle price to come down, well, you can say that about any new electronics, but I see it like this: if the convenience/satisfaction/joy of owning it now outweighs waiting for an unknown price drop at an unknown time in the future, treat yourself to something good once in a while. If you buy it now and enjoy it for a year before the price drops an additional $50, does it really matter? You managed to get an extra year of enjoyment out of it!

The Kindle is one of the few electronic devices that passes my pretty high standards for gadgets- I'm a former technophile (an early adopter of cutting edge technology), still very curious about what's new, but more cautious about adopting it early, now that I have a family to support and a business to run.

If you are an avid reader of new books but don't have time to go to the public library/don't want to wait in the library queue for new releases, or perhaps love the classics which you can often get for free online, the Kindle will probably save you enough money to justify before too long. If you travel frequently and want to bring your entire library with you, there's no other feasible way, short of hiring a personal valet with a strong back.

I'm still a fan of printed books, of course- I just bought my son a copy of the latest Oxford Atlas of the World ... it's huge, gorgeous, filled with color and life that an e-book reader can't touch. But when it comes to buying new novels, the Kindle wins hands down on price (often half the hardcover cost), convenience (can carry thousands of books in a 10 ounce package!), speed (a purchased book downloads to your Kindle within a minute or so, wirelessly) ... I'm sure there's some argument to be made for the reduced carbon footprint of digital media, if you consume more than a certain number of books that you would have otherwise purchased in physical form.

Oof, that's enough evangelizing for one night.

HHH
Thanks for the lengthly reply. There was a thread way back when I first started reading that had a lot of positive viewpoints on Verizon FIOS. I think it will be at the top of my list. Haven't had any major issues with Comcast besides the price or Direct TV but of course, the weather, etc will be different.
As far as the Kindle goes, I ordered the 2. Just couldn't justify the added cost of the DX, especially since I am in major penny-pinching mode to save for the move, pay off cards,etc. I am a huge reader and buy a lot from Amazon-used if possible, so I don't mind dealing with them.
Thank you again and Happy New Year.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 AM

4,590 posts, read 11,939,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsyh View Post
Thanks for the lengthly reply. There was a thread way back when I first started reading that had a lot of positive viewpoints on Verizon FIOS. I think it will be at the top of my list. Haven't had any major issues with Comcast besides the price or Direct TV but of course, the weather, etc will be different.
As far as the Kindle goes, I ordered the 2. Just couldn't justify the added cost of the DX, especially since I am in major penny-pinching mode to save for the move, pay off cards,etc. I am a huge reader and buy a lot from Amazon-used if possible, so I don't mind dealing with them.
Thank you again and Happy New Year.
I've had brighthouse, comcast, directv & now, Fios. I love my Fios!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 AM

7,484 posts, read 19,191,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I've had brighthouse, comcast, directv & now, Fios. I love my Fios!
How does Fios compare to Comcast as far as price and speed?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM

4,590 posts, read 11,939,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
How does Fios compare to Comcast as far as price and speed?
We have just the cable/internet, plus HBO, Showtime, Encores. I don't know the true bill because it's split three ways. I was very hesitant but it turned out to be wonderful. My internet is fast, as well. I think the basic internet/fios package (without the movie channels) was $99/mo.

I really like my directv but come summer & the storms, it was off more than it was on....having experienced the gauntlet & the way each company handles itself, sticking with FIOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area