Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM

192 posts, read 496,676 times

Advertisements

I have heard that salt water pools are cheaper to maintain. I've also heard that having a "pool guy" for a regular pool runs from 80-100/month. Does anyone have a "pool guy" for a salt water pool, or does anyone know how much it costs? We wouldn't be there year 'round to do it ourselves, so that's out of the question.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 03:09 PM

204 posts, read 601,462 times
I've been a saltwater pool advocate for a couple years now since we converted- we don't really do a thing to our pool during the 'off' season when we don't use it, the thing maintains itself (it is under a cage, so no leaves/debris gets in there). After periods of disuse, the pool chemistry hasn't been hard at all to get back to 'perfect'.

About once a month (at most) during the "on" season when we're regularly using it, we take the water to the local pool store for a quick analysis. For 2009, we MIGHT have spent around $10/month when averaged out in chemicals. A few bags of salt, a few gallons of acid here and there, stabilizer, and Jack's Magic... that was about it.

HHH

Old 01-01-2010, 03:37 PM

192 posts, read 496,676 times
So, if my off season is summer and we wouldn't be there, would I have to have a pool co. come and do anything with it for me?

Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM

204 posts, read 601,462 times
Well, we get away with months of neglect during the cold season, no chemicals, no brushing.

In your case you might want to have someone check on the equipment from time to time, though. Things to be aware of: Water loss to evaporation, leaks (they happen, though rarely), etc. Our solar occasionally springs a minor leak, so if you have solar, you probably will want to bypass it for the unattended months.

I think we run the pool for 8 hrs/day during the most active months, 10 hrs/day as the weather turns to extend the swimming season with the solar. Without use during the summer, you could probably get by with much less than 8 hrs/day of filtration if you're under a cage and have salt. 4-6 perhaps (or so I've read).

HHH

Old 02-28-2017, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,065 times
Default Salt Water Pool Cost vs Chlorine

The Swimming Pool Place in Miami, Florida has tons of unbiased articles on Salt Water Swimming Pools vs Liquid Chlorine of Chlorine Tablets.

Here a chart: http://theswimmingpoolplace.com/Salt...-Chlorine.html

They don't sell pool supplies or equipment, so it rally is neutral, well researched information

Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,199 times
ii have a small salt pool. I have a company come in twice a month to clean the pool and heck the ph and such. I pay $45 per month and it's well worth it. Never had a problem with the pool water, although I just had to replace the salt unit at 11 years old.
pm me if you want the name of my pool company

Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 AM

149 posts, read 140,788 times
We have a salt water pool, and LOVE IT! We have a great pool company that only charges $75.00 and they come weekly. They clean the filter, brush and vacuum the pool weekly. They test the levels and if they need to add salt or anything to it that is also included in the price.

If you are considering converting your pool from chlorine to salt water..... do it! You will be happy you did!

Our skin is softer, swim suits last longer, and it is definitely easy to maintain.. PM me if you want the name of our pool company. It is a great locally owned company... not a big chain!

Old 03-01-2017, 04:08 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
I have a salt water pool. Occasional brushing, removal of usual leaves, all I do myself. NO chlorine, no worrying about maintaining the balance of chemicals. Just clean the filter cartridge regularly. I had to add some salt, adjust the ph at one point a few months after start-up, cost was less than a single monthly visit by the pool guy.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:41 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
y'all aware this thread is from 2009, right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area