Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 53,371 times

Advertisements

It is not often that we would need these living in Florida… but looking at the weather for the coming week I thought some of these tips might be helpful.

Cold weather is tough on batteries. At a mild 32 degrees Fahrenheit, a battery is 35 percent weaker. Keeping battery terminals clean helps, but a load test performed by a qualified automotive technician will help determine whether a car’s battery is strong enough for winter starts.

Make sure your car is equipped with tires that are able to handle your region’s winter weather. Check the tire tread. Good tread allows water to escape from under the tires and increases traction. Keep tires at proper pressure. A chart with the manufacturer’s recommended inflation pressure can be found on the driver side door jamb, inside the glove box, or on the fuel filler flap. For most motorists, all-season tires are adequate.

Make certain cooling system anti-freeze is mixed with an equal portion of water for maximum protection.

Frozen door locks can be overcome by carefully heating the end of a key with a match or lighter. A squirt of de-icer spray is another quick method.

In temperatures at or just above 32 degrees, a thin layer of water can cover the ice, causing extremely slippery conditions. The distance needed to stop on ice at 32 degrees is twice as long as at zero degrees. Slow down and use extra caution when passing other vehicles.

Don’t let frigid temperatures tempt you into starting your car in a closed garage or idling your engine for long periods with the windows closed. Carbon monoxide, present in exhaust fumes, is almost impossible to detect and can be fatal when breathed in a confined area.

I am sure the warmer weather will return soon enough. In the meantime pull your sweaters out of the closet and drive safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:11 AM

79 posts, read 319,920 times
There have been spurts of "cold" weather here in Sarasota for the past month. Sometimes down to around freezing temperature. Of course, "cold" is relative. I grew up in Chicago where sub-freezing temperatures were the norm, and even sub-zero temperatures were common. My spouse grew up in Alberta, Canada where it may not go above 0° F for very long stretches of time. I think the poster was just trying to share the fruits of his experience for those who may not be accumstomed to colder weather.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,136 times
It is funny though, I've seen my wife drive her car with the top down in 40 degree weather...she does turn the heater on Mr.Cold

Old 01-05-2010, 07:48 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,146 times
Forecast low tonight 32F....

Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 AM

301 posts, read 1,153,711 times
We just moved down from Michigan and the news stories about the cold is hilarious! "bundle up and wear a hat", or "open your cupboard doors to prevent your pipes from freezing", and my favorite "don't let your pets outside to relieve themselves when the temps dip below 32 degrees." Have these news reporters ever been in the cold before??? We get a kick out of everyone freaking out. I think if there were a snowflake the entire area would shut down....

Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,243 times
I was at a store the other day and was amazed. People were wearing snow boots and gloves. It was 50 degrees. I guess it's all relative. I had dinner with my cousin who lives in Venice. She kept her gloves on during the entire meal. I'm back in Ohio now. It looks like we have finally broke 20 degrees. It's a heat wave.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelte View Post
We just moved down from Michigan and the news stories about the cold is hilarious! "bundle up and wear a hat", or "open your cupboard doors to prevent your pipes from freezing", and my favorite "don't let your pets outside to relieve themselves when the temps dip below 32 degrees." Have these news reporters ever been in the cold before??? We get a kick out of everyone freaking out. I think if there were a snowflake the entire area would shut down....
Do a follow up with me in july and August and let me know how the heat is affecting you.... we will be prepared... will you .... its all relative to what you are accustom to. My brother from NH came down for 10 days a few years back, we spent the entire time wade fishing in the gulf. After 3 days he was lobsta red and in such pain that he swears he will never come back.... he still hasnt returned to visit after all these years

But then again I refuse to go showel snow ! Hope you like it here so far. At least you wont be shoveling either !!!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM

301 posts, read 1,153,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Do a follow up with me in july and August and let me know how the heat is affecting you.... we will be prepared... will you .... its all relative to what you are accustom to. My brother from NH came down for 10 days a few years back, we spent the entire time wade fishing in the gulf. After 3 days he was lobsta red and in such pain that he swears he will never come back.... he still hasnt returned to visit after all these years

But then again I refuse to go showel snow ! Hope you like it here so far. At least you wont be shoveling either !!!
Thanks OMW, but I am very accustomed to the summers here. We've spent more summer time here over the past few years than winter. It's only a few degrees warmer than MI in the summer with similar humidity. It's sticky, but tolerable for us. Much more so than 10 degree winters

Old 01-07-2010, 06:56 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Are you KIDDING me?? Please tell me this is a joke.
Forecast for tomorrow in Port Charlotte is 56 and sunny!!! Madison, WI? 17. De-icer....you make me giggle.
No joke, the planes at TIA and SRQ were waiting for the sun to de-ice them at 7 a.m. this morning.

Last edited by Ladywithafan; 01-07-2010 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelte View Post
I'm getting tired of northerners bashing us for being cold. Said it before & I'll say it again. We're used to temps in the 90's...when it drops to even "just" the 50's thats a 40 degree drop, ok? We find that COLD! I'm from Detroit myself & have been here for over 18 years, tell me you're not cold in a few years, if you last that long here.....oh, & by the way, it may snow in Florida this weekend....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area