U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 PM
 
7 posts, read 9,616 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Fl is a horrible place to be employed as a nurse but a wonderful place to live. We just moved back to the Punta Gorda area after 7 years in the Northeast. Glad to be back. Very sad about all of the closed businesses. My husband lost his nursing job up north. It is much cheaper to live in Fl. No fuel oil, propane or high electric bill! We are in our 40's & don't mind retirees. Better than the opiate addict 20- somethings we had to put up with every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,682 times
Reputation: 13
I truly thinkits the illegals...they have taken over the state of florida!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
1,645 posts, read 2,650,534 times
Reputation: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDREAMER View Post
I truly thinkits the illegals...they have taken over the state of florida!!!
Quick note: When you refer to "the illegals," you just lose credibility right up front, and most intelligent people aren't going to listen to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM
 
3,269 posts, read 8,320,277 times
Reputation: 1999
Wow - my thread from 2007! We finally did move here but it took until 2012 to make it happen. At least houses got a lot cheaper by the time we bought. Happy with the choice to move...so far so good folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 PM
 
Location: North Port
694 posts, read 836,611 times
Reputation: 164
Obero,

What area did you move too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Verona, WI
1,120 posts, read 1,718,438 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Wow - my thread from 2007! We finally did move here but it took until 2012 to make it happen. At least houses got a lot cheaper by the time we bought. Happy with the choice to move...so far so good folks.
I like this. Thanks for turning the thread to a positive note. Please give us the details, even if you need to start a new thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM
 
3,269 posts, read 8,320,277 times
Reputation: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I like this. Thanks for turning the thread to a positive note. Please give us the details, even if you need to start a new thread!
I'm sure I'm not interesting enough for a new thread. We moved to LWR mostly because we found a great deal on a house which we made an offer on and went under contract without seeing in person...stuff started to sell like crazy in April / May so I'm glad we jumped when we did...we could not replicate our deal now. Time will tell if we stay here or move West of the Trail which I still find lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 AM
 
571 posts, read 585,887 times
Reputation: 593
I grew up in Sarasota and I've said this type of stuff before but the fact that it bills itself as this open-minded arts Mecca is totally ridiculous. The town symbol is the Michaelangelo's David, something Sarasota has zero connection to. The most famous art piece in town over the last few years was that dopey "sailor kissing girl" statue that caused a whole uproar because some people thought it was inappropriate for some reason. The Van Wezel is a dump. The city commission is conservative and ancient when it comes to noise ordinances and zoning and they make no attempt to draw students from the art schools into the downtown area to do exhibitions, music events, etc. Go to an art fair in downtown Sarasota, you think maybe you'd see some students from Ringling selling some really unique stuff? Nope. The most artistic person there is the guy that sells speakers made out of coconuts. And live music? I hope you like Mustang Sally and other various covers. The Ringling is nice but the collection is nothing special really. The "arts community" mantra is one of those things that just gets said over and over and over again that now it's become fact. I lived there for 20 years and I can't name a single local artist that's well known around town, because people don't really care about art, it's just a good marketing strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 AM
 
13,865 posts, read 27,213,379 times
Reputation: 15020
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
I grew up in Sarasota and I've said this type of stuff before but the fact that it bills itself as this open-minded arts Mecca is totally ridiculous. The town symbol is the Michaelangelo's David, something Sarasota has zero connection to. The most famous art piece in town over the last few years was that dopey "sailor kissing girl" statue that caused a whole uproar because some people thought it was inappropriate for some reason. The Van Wezel is a dump. The city commission is conservative and ancient when it comes to noise ordinances and zoning and they make no attempt to draw students from the art schools into the downtown area to do exhibitions, music events, etc. Go to an art fair in downtown Sarasota, you think maybe you'd see some students from Ringling selling some really unique stuff? Nope. The most artistic person there is the guy that sells speakers made out of coconuts. And live music? I hope you like Mustang Sally and other various covers. The Ringling is nice but the collection is nothing special really. The "arts community" mantra is one of those things that just gets said over and over and over again that now it's become fact. I lived there for 20 years and I can't name a single local artist that's well known around town, because people don't really care about art, it's just a good marketing strategy.
Well, you have made your point over and over, you don't like it here. Glad you moved on. Many of us 100% disagree with you and love it here; although I do agree with you about the stupid noise ordinances. Anyway, Sarasota today is NOT the Sarasota of 10-15 years ago, I didn't like it back in those days, but it has come a long way since then. To me, it is one of the nicest cities in Florida, and definitely the nicest on the Gulf Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 AM
 
571 posts, read 585,887 times
Reputation: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, you have made your point over and over, you don't like it here. Glad you moved on. Many of us 100% disagree with you and love it here; although I do agree with you about the stupid noise ordinances. Anyway, Sarasota today is NOT the Sarasota of 10-15 years ago, I didn't like it back in those days, but it has come a long way since then. To me, it is one of the nicest cities in Florida, and definitely the nicest on the Gulf Coast.
I think Sarasota is nice, no doubt. And I wouldn't even say I dislike it but the "arts destination" tag really gets under my skin because it's clearly such a (great) marketing ploy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top