U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:19 PM

55 posts, read 260,121 times

Advertisements

Sarasota is in strong demand:

Existing home sales in the Sarasota-Bradenton market remained strong in April, the only region in the state to show an increase in sales last month, according to numbers released today by the Florida Association of Realtors.

The Sarasota-Bradenton Metropolitan Statistical Area reported that 796 existing homes sold last month compared with 685 homes sold a year ago for a 16 percent increase. The marketís median sales price for homes was $294,800; it was $302,100 in April 2006 for a 2 percent decrease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 02:33 PM

193 posts, read 424,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killaloe View Post
Sarasota is in strong demand:

Existing home sales in the Sarasota-Bradenton market remained strong in April, the only region in the state to show an increase in sales last month, according to numbers released today by the Florida Association of Realtors.

The Sarasota-Bradenton Metropolitan Statistical Area reported that 796 existing homes sold last month compared with 685 homes sold a year ago for a 16 percent increase. The marketís median sales price for homes was $294,800; it was $302,100 in April 2006 for a 2 percent decrease.
Agreed, there is a strong demand for the Sarasota area and the home values are down about 25% from 2005. It is definitely a buyers market in this beautiful town. You can still find a few 3-2-2 houses for about 200K which in this area is fantasctic.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:09 PM

349 posts, read 1,608,777 times
Default Sota!

I have lived in Boca Raton (east coast) and like visiting Sarasota. It is a beautiful place, and very nice to visit. It really depends on what you are looking for. I am sure it is a great place to live for many people. Lots of people like to complain on this site.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:09 PM

59 posts, read 253,793 times
Personally, I don't see how Sarasota differs from any other west coast, Florida city. It has great beaches just like every other west coast city (except the northern part). A lot of people love it though! Personally, I prefer the southwest coast because it has a more "tropical" feal. I have never heard any complaints about Sarasota. If you want to move there and can afford it, I say go with it!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 11,833 times
ok here goes; ive lived here all my life. it is beautiful and tropical with a great nightlife, culture, beaches, etc. but---way too busy with congested traffic, too much concrete, too few trees, a problem with redtide...I guess after seeing how it has changed over the past 25 years I am just not too thrilled with it. used to be a nice, small beach town with all of the above threads noted advantages..now it is too busy and too full to be living here. would be better to visit/vacation here. i am actually looking to relocate soon. we have had such a bad turn though here in the real estate market that i am now stuck with a house that if i were to sell now, i would lose my ass...hope that helps.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:56 AM

14,000 posts, read 27,533,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia1976 View Post
ok here goes; ive lived here all my life. it is beautiful and tropical with a great nightlife, culture, beaches, etc. but---way too busy with congested traffic, too much concrete, too few trees, a problem with redtide...I guess after seeing how it has changed over the past 25 years I am just not too thrilled with it. used to be a nice, small beach town with all of the above threads noted advantages..now it is too busy and too full to be living here. would be better to visit/vacation here. i am actually looking to relocate soon. we have had such a bad turn though here in the real estate market that i am now stuck with a house that if i were to sell now, i would lose my ass...hope that helps.
Ophelia - I 100% agree with you - we left Sarasota 10 years ago after living there for 17 years. We felt it went downhill each year we were there, knocking down all their architectural treasures and building concrete monstrosities which change the whole character of the town. Still not enough places to park, traffic is horrendous, and it is criminal how much of the tree canopy has been removed ( a lot of it illegally)

Anyway, I am sure many people will still like it, from an objective point of view I can see how the town will appeal to many. But I totally agree that it is a place better visited than lived in, but that is only my personal opinion.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:35 PM

124 posts, read 261,848 times
Sarasota is wonderful, a beautiful place to live if you don't have to get in your car from 8-10am, 12-1 and 4-7pm. The traffic is horrible. And it's pricey. But its clean, the schools are very good rated and the beaches just a dream.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:52 AM

27 posts, read 72,598 times
Having lived in Sarasota for 25 years I've rented in several areas prior to buying in the hospital area... If one lives near town traffic congestion is not a problem...If one drives during the winter snowbird season use the back n/s roads and do not drive anywhere between 3 and 6 pm...Traffic is all about timing of schools, county/city offices and hospital let out and learning ways to avoid us41...

I am off orange ave by hospital and can walk to bayfront, downtown restaurants,theaters,playhouses etc...I can ride my bike to lido as well as siesta beaches...

Yes my area of town is pricey starts at 400K and up to millions...Gulf gate south gate offer reasonable housing as does most areas just east of us41...Even near hospital east of us 41 homes may be had in a nice neighborhood for 200-300K...They will continue to raise in value because locals think that area is not enough status for them...Locals derive great pleasure from the statement of I live west of trail regardless of where they are west of trail...
I bought where I did because I loved the proximity to downtown, the beaches, mature trees and landscaping and was not in a crime area, I could have cared less whether it was west of trail or not...

All that said SRQ is a great City for Boomers, Singles and those that love the arts, lush tropical trees and great dining! Living in paradise is never cheap anywhere! Most local music venues are geared to those of us in the boomer range which I find wonderfully refreshing compared to many other cities in florida and elsewhere...

Contrary to several others postings there are many part time jobs that are not seasonal...The hourly wage may be low (10-15) but would supplement a savvy boomers extra curricular activities...The weather??? Not too shabby just use a pool or the gulf and run from car to house!

Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 AM

2,209 posts, read 6,551,435 times
It's great in this whole area so pay no attention to the whining and snivelling. It's a real buyers market so before you go off and buy something, bear that in mind and have some fun with LOW offers ( unless it's a true find and they are out there too.......(

You're from Jersey huh? We need more Jersey people on this coast. Bring some pizza with ya ok? There isn't any on this coast. I mean, jeesh, it's bad enough on the east coast but you never had really crappy pizza until you went South or in SE Fla.

Heheh

Old 06-24-2007, 01:10 PM

3,269 posts, read 8,375,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ single View Post
Having lived in Sarasota for 25 years I've rented in several areas prior to buying in the hospital area... If one lives near town traffic congestion is not a problem...If one drives during the winter snowbird season use the back n/s roads and do not drive anywhere between 3 and 6 pm...Traffic is all about timing of schools, county/city offices and hospital let out and learning ways to avoid us41...

I am off orange ave by hospital and can walk to bayfront, downtown restaurants,theaters,playhouses etc...I can ride my bike to lido as well as siesta beaches...

Yes my area of town is pricey starts at 400K and up to millions...Gulf gate south gate offer reasonable housing as does most areas just east of us41...Even near hospital east of us 41 homes may be had in a nice neighborhood for 200-300K...They will continue to raise in value because locals think that area is not enough status for them...Locals derive great pleasure from the statement of I live west of trail regardless of where they are west of trail...
I bought where I did because I loved the proximity to downtown, the beaches, mature trees and landscaping and was not in a crime area, I could have cared less whether it was west of trail or not...

All that said SRQ is a great City for Boomers, Singles and those that love the arts, lush tropical trees and great dining! Living in paradise is never cheap anywhere! Most local music venues are geared to those of us in the boomer range which I find wonderfully refreshing compared to many other cities in florida and elsewhere...

Contrary to several others postings there are many part time jobs that are not seasonal...The hourly wage may be low (10-15) but would supplement a savvy boomers extra curricular activities...The weather??? Not too shabby just use a pool or the gulf and run from car to house!
Thanks for your post. We have decided that we will be moving to Sarasota and we are looking forward to it. We will be looking in your area, so we will most likely be neighbors at some point. The whole area close to Southside village (is that what it's called?) behind the hospital is great. Just so close to everything. We did drive all the way down the trail to look around and found it to be too much of a hassle driving back up to get to downtown. And that was out of season in the middle of the day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area