U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:13 PM

3,269 posts, read 8,319,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
It's great in this whole area so pay no attention to the whining and snivelling. It's a real buyers market so before you go off and buy something, bear that in mind and have some fun with LOW offers ( unless it's a true find and they are out there too.......(

You're from Jersey huh? We need more Jersey people on this coast. Bring some pizza with ya ok? There isn't any on this coast. I mean, jeesh, it's bad enough on the east coast but you never had really crappy pizza until you went South or in SE Fla.

Heheh
I think the pizza is one of the things I am going to miss the most about NJ. There must be someone there who can make a good old NJ pie? Surely someone moved there from NJ or NY and opened a pizza place. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 12:22 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,516,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
I think the pizza is one of the things I am going to miss the most about NJ. There must be someone there who can make a good old NJ pie? Surely someone moved there from NJ or NY and opened a pizza place. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Of course but it can't be the same because of the laziness as well as the water.

You'll miss jesey pizza so much that when you go back up yonder and visit the city you'll think that NY pizza is great

I get Sabrett dogs ( # 12's ) fedexed down. I used to have a guy in Bayville NJ of all places who made the thinnest pizza out there who would make me 5 pies , fast freeze em and fed ex em down. It was great. 5 bucks for a large pie and the fed ex came to 25 bucks to ship 5 of them. So for 10 bucks a pie I got the real deal.

But he retired to FLORIDA that dang guy hahaha and that was the end of the connection LOL

Old 06-24-2007, 02:09 PM

84 posts, read 312,596 times
It seems as if the sentiment about Sarasota is almost unanimous. I don't know where this so-called negativity came from. I have lived in Sarasota for 25 years, and lived in Ft. Lauderdale as a child for another 10. So, I think I know a thing or two about Florida. Aside from the poster who left Sarasota 10 years ago, it appears as if everyone here is in agreement. The last 10 years, is when downtown Sarasota has undergone most of its revitalization. From a personal standpoint, there's only a couple potential negatives with Sarasota. The heat and humidity in the summertime is almost dreadful. Again, that's just me, as I'm not much of a beach goer, so I prefer the indoors during the hottest months. Also, I have a degree in technology, and there is not an overabundance of career opportunites in that field. The wages here are less than mediocre. However, if you're NOT coming here for career enhancement, and you've already made your mark in life financially, then I can't think of a better place to settle. The seasonal congestion on US 41 can easily be avoided by taking the back roads east of 41.

On a slightly different topic, I work with many people who relocated to Sarasota from the northern states. By Sarasota standards, our employees make a better than average wage. However, most if not all of them who have been buying homes within the past 2 years, have had to purchase in North Port. That's about a 45 minute commute to Sarasota on I-75 barring any congestion. With the major influx of people buying in North Port, the I-75 commute to/from Sarasota is going to get much worse. For families looking at first-time home purchases, there's almost nothing decent for under $250k. Thus the wages vs. home prices here are way out of balance. There IS a reason why Sarasota is priced 25-30% higher than surrounding cities. Combine the beachside location, huge number of quality restaurants, the arts and theatre, AND all within an hours drive to St. Petersburg/Tampa, I don't see how you can beat this town, which is going to have major appeal for years to come.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:57 PM

220 posts, read 940,759 times
The only real drawback I see to Sarasota would be it's proximity to Manatee County. I live in Sarasota so I know, it's a great deal for the money. Peope will say it's expensive but it's definitely not (unless your lower working class it may be tight) but for other areas that offer the same it costs you the least money. You're close to ft Myers, Tampa, beaches etc. Public roadways are mostly clean and landscaped, plenty to do. Crime has mostly been chased up into Bradenton when rental went up and Sheriff cracked down. I love how people in Jersey or Ohio will tell you all about where YOU live.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:07 PM

106 posts, read 460,367 times
Default Sarasota is Awesome.

I once too was a Sarasota hater. Only because I am from here, born and raised, 34 years. I started looking around trying to find a place like this but just somewhere else. Guess what? I couldn't.
We have our house on the market and do plan on moving for reasons I can't discuss. But, I will tell you you can't beat this place with a stick! The schools are great, the crime is low, the beaches are insane and the people are nice. Forget what the haters are saying, move here and enjoy it!
Oh yeah, we live west of the trail within spitting distance to the beach and our house is less than 500K and you get A rated schools with that!

Old 06-24-2007, 06:52 PM

3,269 posts, read 8,319,231 times
Well, it seems that almost everyone has positive things to say about Sarasota...thanks for posting. We are feeling pretty good about the choice to move there. We went to many many states / places to find the right fit for us.

MrTudo - you are right, I forgot about the water there. It's so bad I can't even drink fountain soda. I guess there is no hope for pizza and bagels must be the same, I guess. I am going to have to figure out a way to get it shipped to me, along with Poland spring water.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:10 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,516,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post

MrTudo - you are right, I forgot about the water there. It's so bad I can't even drink fountain soda. I guess there is no hope for pizza and bagels must be the same, I guess. I am going to have to figure out a way to get it shipped to me, along with Poland spring water.
I don't know about the Poland Spring water , I quench my thirst with perrier on ice with a twist usually but yes you are right about the bagels.

But hey, just imagine one day, you're taking a day off, just to screw around or whatever, you yawn, put on the shorts and t-shirt, flip on the news in Mid January, see what is happening up yonder, laugh, maybe take an afternoon and go over to Boca Grande, jump in the gulf and find it's FREEZING cold and below 70 , so you call a friend in jersey and tell them how cold it is where you are, maybe point the camera phone to the gulf and tell em, "it's only 70 degrees!"

And you'll find pizza that gets close......( Try Pic N Run on Peachland in Port Charlotte, ask them to use a small or medium dough to make a large pie and you'll be good to go )

Further, the old saying all's well that ends well will be really apparent when you finally drop that "yuse guys" ( especially when referring to women) lingo for "y'all"

Then all is well Have a nice trip

Old 06-24-2007, 10:51 PM

220 posts, read 940,759 times
You'll love SRQ unless you try to pull some New England BS inwhich case that Iced Tea will be mighty salty. And...... if you find it pricey, try San Diego or Scottsdale.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:09 AM

960 posts, read 1,165,212 times
You will love Sarasota. It has some beautiful scenery, some great shopping and culture. Don't let the mass exodus in the area of "lower class workers" e.g., Nurses, Paramedics, Firemen, Policemen, Teachers, Electricians, Plumbers, deter you. If those service providing citizens can't afford the area, they should move to a more "affordable" areas like those in Tennessee and North Carolina. I don't think the decreasing numbers of qualified skilled workers will impact your quality of life in Sarasota. I maybe wrong though.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:56 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,394,845 times
Since moving to downtown, I am still loving it. We had the big White on State block party ($10...cheap),(go to Sarasota2night.com and you can see what we do when we mix fashion & art!)....this week through the 4th we have the grand prix offshore boat races....world's largest Offshore party at the Hyatt on Thursday ($15...cheap!), The boat parade & block party on Main Street this friday...free....etc...., fireworks will be next week on the 4th...free....went to Burns Court Sat. night & saw one of the movies from the film fest that was sold out, "Paris j'taime" $5 (cheap)....and unbelievably good!....there is not ever "nothing" to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area