Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:40 PM

513 posts, read 1,223,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Just wondering, I don't really know. Up here all basements are poured concrete, no blocks at all, and they can do it in an afternoon with two guys, I would think that would be cheaper than paying unskilled labor all the hours a block home would take?? The guys that pour concrete into forms and add rebar aren't exectly rocket scientists Thanks for the info. Mr.Cold
I'm sure pros and cons can of each type build be pointed out, but I'll tell you one thing I really find to be annoying with poured concrete foundations, and that is when you find a spot on the wall, especially a corner, in which the concrete didn't get mixed property and the spot is nothing but a big ugly hunk of uncrushed gravel instead of smooth concrete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 02:51 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
I'm sure pros and cons can of each type build be pointed out, but I'll tell you one thing I really find to be annoying with poured concrete foundations, and that is when you find a spot on the wall, especially a corner, in which the concrete didn't get mixed property and the spot is nothing but a big ugly hunk of uncrushed gravel instead of smooth concrete.
Ya, that's very true, but you do drywall over it or stucco over it on the outside, so the bare concrete isn't ever the finished product. Mr.Cold

Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Ya, that's very true, but you do drywall over it or stucco over it on the outside, so the bare concrete isn't ever the finished product. Mr.Cold
It is where I live. The forms make the concrete on walkout basements look like a brick pattern, and they leave it like that. It doesn't get paint or stucco, and when you walk along the wall and see one of those unmixed spots it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
It is where I live. The forms make the concrete on walkout basements look like a brick pattern, and they leave it like that. It doesn't get paint or stucco, and when you walk along the wall and see one of those unmixed spots it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Oh I see what you mean. Yes we have that here in Wis. too, but you can stucco over or add pebble board to you concrete, which is what we did, It looks nice.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 PM

917 posts, read 2,614,825 times
Quote:
Just wondering, I don't really know. Up here all basements are poured concrete, no blocks at all, and they can do it in an afternoon with two guys, I would think that would be cheaper than paying unskilled labor all the hours a block home would take?? The guys that pour concrete into forms and add rebar aren't exectly rocket scientists Thanks for the info. Mr.Cold
The carpenters who build the forms are the ones with the brains.
I read an article a year or two back about the Mercedes system. It only became cost efficient when there was a shortage of block masons. Here's a link to the article, but you would have to sign up to read it:http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-111801722.html

One of the companies I used to work for built High-rises, might not be rocket science but not too simple either. Floors were prestressed concrete. Walls were block. Walls under load were a stronger block. Concrete was pumped up. Block was hoisted up with a crane, mortar for the block was mixed on the ground and taken up lifts by laborers one wheelbarrow at a time. When the masons were no longer needed they were let go. Next time they needed more masons they started hiring again. Pretty sure most (if not all) of the labors came from temp services.

Last edited by tommy-105; 01-11-2010 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM

I'm sure the OP is only talking about a one story house tho, pretty simple.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 PM

917 posts, read 2,614,825 times
Quote:
I'm sure the OP is only talking about a one story house tho, pretty simple.
I'm just saying that block seems to be cheap and quick and that's what it was all about.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 AM

325 posts, read 1,023,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Kbuild, I've had some experance usuing B&W FLIR guns to detect air infiltration in homes. I've heard of the guns being used to detect insect infestation, but never met someone that does it. Have you had a lot of success with this? Any photos?
Tommy I will post some, they are very interesting...

Old 01-12-2010, 06:51 AM

79 posts, read 319,993 times
OP here. Yes, I was talking about construction of single family residence (homes), and I suppose this encompasses both 1 and 2 storey homes, but there are so few 2 storey homes around here (Sarasota).

When I lived in other states I viewed block homes as "cheap". They were very rare. But having gone through some new and recently built homes here made from block (or CMU...concrete masonry units, which is the new term and probably indicates some advanced technical changes to those blocks used 50 years ago), I was impressed with the poured concrete beam with reinforcing steel that extends around the top of the exterior walls (part of the hurricane resisting system)....these aren't the old-timey cheap block houses.

Last edited by Wiggins; 01-12-2010 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 AM

Some might find it interesting, but apparently not all block is created equal either. There's cheap block and high grade block:

Concrete masonry unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area