U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:52 AM

917 posts, read 2,227,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
While this is partly true, there are plenty of facts that one can look up to see how crime in sarasota stacks up. I didn't think that I had to post evidence to back up every single thing I said since one can easily look it up on a number of sites. But here we go anyways:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
This shows a comparison of crime in Sarasota vs crime in New York City. It also has the national average to put excuses for or against NYC to rest. This is just one place that a person can look. According to City-Data, Sarasota's crime score for 2008 was 660.5, the average for the United States is 320.9. That means that Sarasota has over DOUBLE the amount of crime than the U.S. average. I would say that constitutes a high crime rate. So when I said before that "there are plenty of other areas in the country that I could move to where I would feel safer..." it was actually a true statement, not just an opinion.

As far as people feeling like they waste their lives due to winter or can't wait for winter to get over, I would say there are plenty of people who feel the same way about summer in Florida. In the winter you can go outside and snowshoe, cross country ski, hike, etc with a relatively minimal amount of clothes on due to the generating of a lot of body heat. In the summer in Florida you can...well, what can you do? Carry around a personal air conditioning unit to go for a hike? Jump into the Gulf of Mexico which can be a not-so-refreshing bathwater temperature in the Summer? This goes back to my original comment of choosing between hopping from heater to heater in the winter in the north or hopping from AC to AC in the summer in Florida. Or waiting for your car to warm up vs waiting for your car to cool down so you don't burn your hand on your seat belt and melt to your seats. At least in the winter you CAN comfortably go outside by adding an extra layer or doing activities that generate body heat. Obviously no one just goes and sits outside to read a book when it's 10 degrees out.
You wouldn't think that any post that starts out with:"Having lived there for 11 years..." would be challenged by people who recently relocated to the area, or don't even live here yet, but it seems to happen all the time here.

Unfortunately, it seems that even when people try to backup their comments with previous examples, or links that can be used to verify statements made, they still draw criticism. (The highlighting was added by me of course)

For the record, I live an hour south of Sarasota and aside from what I see in the news, I have no idea how bad the crime might be up there. I used to live in the NYC area however and find the comparison shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I stand by both statements. I'm down here, and there is a lot of business going on. It is busy down here right now. But, the job market is still really tough. There are jobs out there, everyone is not unemployed. The jobs here are not the highest paying, and the market conditions that have been the driving force in this area are particularly weak here right now. The job market is not as bad as many areas of the country - Look up the stats - You can prove me correct. Thanks, in advance for that. The housing market isn't as bad either, although that depends if you are buying, selling, getting foreclosed on, etc.... I think you're looking to make a deal somewhere aren't ya?

Obviously, there are a lot of people down here that like to be very vocal because they are struggling so much. I think I have been acurate in both of the statements I made. Those that are struggling are quite vocal here, and are doing thier best to warn others because they are having such a difficult time. - Of course they like to add a bunch of personal attacks to their message (I'm sure they have or will follow up, and warn people how tough they think the job market is here) - they have made thier decisions - Look up the posts if you'd like - You can prove me correct. Thanks, in advance for that too.

I don't feel it is important to re-iterate others posts or documents in order to formulate and explain my opinion, or pick fights. People can find substatiating documentation, and skew, twist it, and frame in a number of different ways it in order to make any pronouncement that they want to make. I have been all over the country. I speak with friends from all over the country continually, and I have first hand experiences from which I prepare and voice my opinion. AND - so do you, and others.

IF, you think others here won't discuss how tough they think the job market is - then - we will see. :-) I hope they are optimistic, and cherry, but I rather doubt it.Buy vs. Rent

Last edited by Yac; 03-30-2010 at 07:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 06:29 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,805,628 times
Well, compared to Bodymore, Murderland, looks like Sarasota will seem like a commune or an ashram. Nam myoho renge kyo, I guess.

One thing I'd like to interject is that Sarasota seems to generate truly polarized views, and, in turn, more heated (so to speak) discussion than most cities one might look at. It is a destination city, and those inclined to head there tend to be from the north and midwest.

So while it should be obvious Sarasota would provoke a more animated response in general, it should also be obvious that folks are all different, and the emotional need of some to rain on others' collective parade is no better or worse than the emotional need of some others to gloat about living in what they perceive as paradise.

So, having lived all over the country, including a long stretch in St. Pete, I will say again that for me, the area is ideal.

Just sayin'.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 AM

513 posts, read 1,050,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHelmhazzard View Post

Just out of curiosity, I spot checked a few cities against NYC and the results were fascinating. Grabbing names out of thin air, I quickly tried Orlando FL, Seattle WA, Portland OR, Phoenix AZ, Albuquerque NM, Wichita KS, Tampa FL, Atlanta GA, Pittsburgh PA, St. Louis MO, Raleigh NC, Los Angeles CA, Minneapolis / St. Paul MN, Missoula MT, Cleveland OH, Boston MA, Dallas TX... on a per capita basis, they scored significantly worse than NYC the majority of the time across the board. Either my subconscious has really poor taste, or ... well, I don't know. What do you folks infer from this, if anything? Is NYC the place to be, if you go by percentage statistics? Not poking fun, I'm surprised / intrigued at the results.

HHH
Here's the link I posted before to CrimeReports | The National Crime Map

Set the crime types to all, and set the date range back to early 09 when the site began.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 AM

Alright, which one of you posted this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA0xcJK3Wi8

Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 AM

Watch the other ones, strange one is a New York City vs. Sarasota crime comparison?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 12,703,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddles View Post
Dreading my first summer in Florida..hope I can survive being able to jump into my pool, or swim with manatees in crystal clear spring water, or take the kids to waterparks..sounds like hell.
Don't wish to sound sarcastic. I'm sure the heat is awful, but right now what is awful to me is looking out at a leaden sky, dirty snow and brown, bare trees. Bored kids not wanting to play out in the freezing cold. Doesn't help that around here there isn't much in the way of inside activities. We go to the pool at the Y as does everyone else..crowded and you can SEE the scum floating in the water.
On a positive note tho, you can't beat a sunny, still day after a fresh snowfall and the trees are blanketed in white and the sky is bright blue..can make you feel like you're in heaven (til you breathe in and feel your nose hairs freeze!)
You have to experience one, in order to appreciate the other. Hmmmm, You don't need a statistic from someplace to tell you its way to hot or way to cold - do you?

Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 PM

6,103 posts, read 12,703,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHelmhazzard View Post
It's interesting to see the hard numbers vs. percentages on crime.

If people haven't, check out inspironmini's link and check out the charts on Sarasota vs. NYC. I'd post them here, but they lose formatting and are difficult to understand when pasted into (and mangled by) the forum editor tool. SRQ: 4 murders vs. NYC's 596. SRQ: 23 forcible rapes vs. NYC's 1071. Creepy to contemplate at any level. But per capita, inspiron has a real point about the level of crime in our fair area. This was from 2006 data... wonder how things have fared since the economy went belly up? HHH
Ok, statistic are statistics, and presuming they are accurate on the face of them, there are a lot of questions that can be raised that have merit that are not discussed. For instance, since rape and murder happen a lot on a random basis (what is your exposure rate of coming in contact with someone that is prown to commit these types of crimes. That statistic may be significantly higher in NYC where you come in contact with a lot more people every day, than you do in Sarasota. Does that parallel the population ratio? Certainly, and opposed to the point I am making you could not justly say that the crime ratio is better or worse if it were 1/250 in both places - would you? There are a lot of factors, not just raw statistics that have to influence your opinion, and you have to consider them if you are to formulate an opinion.

Also, I know for a fact that, in some areas of the country, where they hire people to make the crime statistics lower, as an example - they report cars that were stolen, as cars that were "unable to locate". One being a crime, and one not - point being that all statistics are not equal. Different places also document juvenile deliquent crime in a similar manner, so that they give the criminal(s) every benefit of the doubt, and then don't go back and document the crime statistics after the fact, only "as reported."

In some cities, rapes are listed as various kinds of assaults, and not called out for what they really are - I wonder how a rape victim feels, when you reclassify that, and explain - Oh, it wasnt rape - it was something else, and thanks for your part in making our crime statistics better - it will help re-elect our Mayor when he runs again! The crime in the city is getting so much better! - Great!

Statistics are important, but lets be honest - they aren't perfect, everyone can't be so mindless, that they can't think beyond, what the statics presented to them mean, or everyone would follow the Pide Piper down to the river!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:48 PM

228 posts, read 426,509 times
Yes statistics are not perfect, but they can be used to give you a general sense of crime in the area. So when you see a table showing that Sarasota has over double the crime than the national average, it's a staggering realization regardless of the fact that these reports aren't perfect and that there are probably minor flaws in all crime statistics. The people that put out these statistics for crime in Sarasota could have literally made half of the crimes up, yet Sarasota would still be above the national average.

Big house, your exposure rate has nothing to do with population Obviously your exposure rate is going to be higher in Sarasota where there are 42.5 rapes per 100,000 people than in NYC where there are 10.7 rapes per 100,000 people. It has nothing to do with the overall size of the population. It wouldn't make any sense to say "well you actually have a higher chance of getting raped in NYC because there are more people that you come into contact with and rape is random, even though Sarasota has FOUR times the amount of rape in proportion to the population"

Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM

4,615 posts, read 12,052,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Yes statistics are not perfect, but they can be used to give you a general sense of crime in the area. So when you see a table showing that Sarasota has over double the crime than the national average, it's a staggering realization regardless of the fact that these reports aren't perfect and that there are probably minor flaws in all crime statistics. The people that put out these statistics for crime in Sarasota could have literally made half of the crimes up, yet Sarasota would still be above the national average.

Big house, your exposure rate has nothing to do with population Obviously your exposure rate is going to be higher in Sarasota where there are 42.5 rapes per 100,000 people than in NYC where there are 10.7 rapes per 100,000 people. It has nothing to do with the overall size of the population. It wouldn't make any sense to say "well you actually have a higher chance of getting raped in NYC because there are more people that you come into contact with and rape is random, even though Sarasota has FOUR times the amount of rape in proportion to the population"
IMO, all the crime in the Sarasota & Manatee counties is related to drugs, in a nutshell.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 PM

249 posts, read 385,734 times
Having studied statistics, I know what they are. They have been invented by someone who wanted to stress... what they wanted you to think.

It is not that they are perfect or not. And there is no flaw. For example, in unemployment, what people do they count? ALL who have no jobs, sometimes they *forget* to count those who are too desperate to keep looking, or those who are sick etc...

And that happens in all aspects. As a mayor, I am the best.... because... look at the statistics etc... etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area