U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-14-2010, 12:05 PM
 
Location: sittin happy in the sun :-)
3,532 posts, read 5,499,437 times
Reputation: 1727

Advertisements

its funny -we speak the same language yet i feel there is a communication issue its called sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2010, 07:04 PM
 
204 posts, read 501,943 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
its funny -we speak the same language yet i feel there is a communication issue its called sarcasm
Eddie Izzard riffs via the famous Oscar Wilde quip* about English: NSFW (bit o' swearing):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IzDbNFDdP4



HHH



* "The Americans are identical to the British in all respects except, of course, language."
- Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Nokomis, FL
66 posts, read 162,338 times
Reputation: 35
A lot of people who move here from the Northeast are particularly snotty and rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 05:41 PM
 
29 posts, read 56,575 times
Reputation: 13
Hi, I'm very curious about how people in small towns/cities (population) with a high percentage of registered sex offenders, feel, living there. Is there a great concern for your welfare or the welfare of your family or do you ever even think about these offenders living amongst you?
My concerns are not of the potentially rude or snotty people of the Northeast but of the sex offenders that lurk about.....anyone with any thoughts about this? What precautions do you take if any and what is your day to day mindset?

Thank you, for any and all replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Palm Island and North Port
7,484 posts, read 19,196,988 times
Reputation: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROC View Post
Hi, I'm very curious about how people in small towns/cities (population) with a high percentage of registered sex offenders, feel, living there. Is there a great concern for your welfare or the welfare of your family or do you ever even think about these offenders living amongst you?
My concerns are not of the potentially rude or snotty people of the Northeast but of the sex offenders that lurk about.....anyone with any thoughts about this? What precautions do you take if any and what is your day to day mindset?

Thank you, for any and all replies!
Florida has a very good website that you can go and look up how many are in a specific area: FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators I think for the most part if you keep a good eye on your children you can avoid a lot of problems. For instance my kids don't walk to and from the bus stop. I wouldn't let them do this no matter what state I lived in or what the circumstances are. They don't hang out at the mall, like many kids do. Again, a little extra supervision goes a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
22,519 posts, read 45,644,834 times
Reputation: 13239
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginnokomis View Post
A lot of people who move here from the Northeast are particularly snotty and rude.
^^Definition of irony.^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 5,528,717 times
Reputation: 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROC View Post
Hi, I'm very curious about how people in small towns/cities (population) with a high percentage of registered sex offenders, feel, living there. Is there a great concern for your welfare or the welfare of your family or do you ever even think about these offenders living amongst you?
My concerns are not of the potentially rude or snotty people of the Northeast but of the sex offenders that lurk about.....anyone with any thoughts about this? What precautions do you take if any and what is your day to day mindset?

Thank you, for any and all replies!

Why move to a place where you have to worry about either one? Dont get we wrong, rude people and sex offenders truly are everywhere, but there are better places to choose than FL if you are trying to limit yourself from being around sex offenders and rude people. FL would probably be on of my last choices when taking those 2 things into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 01:57 AM
 
29 posts, read 56,575 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Why move to a place where you have to worry about either one? Dont get we wrong, rude people and sex offenders truly are everywhere, but there are better places to choose than FL if you are trying to limit yourself from being around sex offenders and rude people. FL would probably be on of my last choices when taking those 2 things into consideration.

My point was...I'm less concerned about rude or snotty people than I ever would be about sex offenders, living in the same town. I cringe everytime I see what appears to be a nice town, small population, yet the number of sex offenders living there is astronomical. It also seems to me in these particular areas not much or anything is said in the forums about the high numbers or the presence of these offenders. Do people ignore them?....not know they are there?...don't care?....live and let live???...whats the mindset of most people regarding this?....my girlfriend and I are baffled by the seeming lack of concern expressed. BTW I'm not indicting Florida as the only state where this seems to be the case, there are plenty of others, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 02:30 AM
 
29 posts, read 56,575 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Florida has a very good website that you can go and look up how many are in a specific area: FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators I think for the most part if you keep a good eye on your children you can avoid a lot of problems. For instance my kids don't walk to and from the bus stop. I wouldn't let them do this no matter what state I lived in or what the circumstances are. They don't hang out at the mall, like many kids do. Again, a little extra supervision goes a long way.
Yes, thank you, I'm familiar with that website, as well as, the city data info. and I agree, you have to keep an eye on your children at all times, no matter where you live. Sadly, it appears that women too, for themselves, probably need to be careful at all times, living in these high risk areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Punta Gorda and Maryland
6,103 posts, read 12,598,494 times
Reputation: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginnokomis View Post
A lot of people who move here from the Northeast are particularly snotty and rude.
Awwww, I dont think that's true! I think they are fun loving, humorous, people that like to fish, flirt, party, kayak, bike, play tennis, golf, drink beer, and really look forward to watching the Ravens beat the Colts - TODAY! Oh! And I think they are very handsome too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top