U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 08:10 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,812,942 times

Advertisements

I have lived in NYC, Washington, DC, Baltimore MD, Milwaukee, WI, San Francisco, CA, Oakland, CA, Annapolis, MD, Tampa, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, and Philadelphia, PA.

Far and away the friendliest people I have encountered are in Florida, and this includes the hippie-friendly Bay Area of California.

I haven't a clue what you all are talking about when you talk about snobs etc in Florida.

In fact, every time I have been to Sarasota (which is many), I remark at how nice everyone is.

It is one of the main reasons we're moving there to settle down.

So expect two more snotty, snobby Northeasterners down there in six weeks or so.

Grrrrrr...outta my way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 AM

513 posts, read 1,051,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
"Tommy was one hell of a nice guy,"

Sarasota County man is accused of killing his friend with a sword | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

Old 01-16-2010, 11:51 AM

3,535 posts, read 5,584,967 times
not THE Tommy

Old 01-16-2010, 12:31 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,406,785 times
The Tommy is the victim who was mercilessly killed by his roomate.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:57 PM

764 posts, read 1,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I have lived in NYC, Washington, DC, Baltimore MD, Milwaukee, WI, San Francisco, CA, Oakland, CA, Annapolis, MD, Tampa, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, and Philadelphia, PA.

Far and away the friendliest people I have encountered are in Florida, and this includes the hippie-friendly Bay Area of California.

I haven't a clue what you all are talking about when you talk about snobs etc in Florida.

In fact, every time I have been to Sarasota (which is many), I remark at how nice everyone is.

It is one of the main reasons we're moving there to settle down.

So expect two more snotty, snobby Northeasterners down there in six weeks or so.

Grrrrrr...outta my way!
LOL. . .I can't seem to understand this philosophy though, regarding northeasterners as most Floridians are transplants, lol. . .so it goes

Old 01-16-2010, 12:58 PM

764 posts, read 1,527,882 times
, haha

Old 01-16-2010, 09:46 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,714,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROC View Post
My point was...I'm less concerned about rude or snotty people than I ever would be about sex offenders, living in the same town. I cringe everytime I see what appears to be a nice town, small population, yet the number of sex offenders living there is astronomical. It also seems to me in these particular areas not much or anything is said in the forums about the high numbers or the presence of these offenders. Do people ignore them?....not know they are there?...don't care?....live and let live???...whats the mindset of most people regarding this?....my girlfriend and I are baffled by the seeming lack of concern expressed. BTW I'm not indicting Florida as the only state where this seems to be the case, there are plenty of others, as well.

FL attracts a lot of sex offenders, transients, and drifters. Anyone on this site that tells you otherwise is clearly misleading you. I'm not saying someone is telling you the opposite, just something to keep in mind.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:29 AM

917 posts, read 2,231,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROC View Post
My point was...I'm less concerned about rude or snotty people than I ever would be about sex offenders, living in the same town. I cringe everytime I see what appears to be a nice town, small population, yet the number of sex offenders living there is astronomical. It also seems to me in these particular areas not much or anything is said in the forums about the high numbers or the presence of these offenders. Do people ignore them?....not know they are there?...don't care?....live and let live???...whats the mindset of most people regarding this?....my girlfriend and I are baffled by the seeming lack of concern expressed. BTW I'm not indicting Florida as the only state where this seems to be the case, there are plenty of others, as well.
RE:"whats the mindset of most people regarding this?"
IMHO, first off, members that already own property in these areas have no reason to dwell on negative issues in the forums. Why should they publicly discuss something that could lower their property values even further?

New people to the forum quite often only want to hear what they want to hear and have already made their minds up about relocation to Florida. They just haven't decided what area to move to.

The "sex offenders, transients, and drifters" issue seems to be a state wide concern. New people here usually don't want to hear that Florida as a whole might not be a good idea so sometimes they don't ask about things that might draw negative replies. "You can't tell somebody something if they don't want to hear it." (just my take on it)

Keep in mind that anywhere you look, the list of REGISTERED offenders is just the very tip of the iceberg.

Here's a whole thread on the subject: Sex Offenders & Florida - worst state?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:45 AM

513 posts, read 1,051,910 times
I posted this the other day in another thread where the sex offender population discussing was ongoing:

http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/doc...fender-map.pdf

What it shows is that Florida certainly isn't the worst state. But it also shows that Florida is pretty high up on the list of sex offenders per 100,000 residents.

Breaking the data down further inside a state, there's no doubt going to be some highly populated pockets of these individuals, especially since they often locate in clusters after being released from jail.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 AM

917 posts, read 2,231,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
I posted this the other day in another thread where the sex offender population discussing was ongoing:

http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/doc...fender-map.pdf

What it shows is that Florida certainly isn't the worst state. But it also shows that Florida is pretty high up on the list of sex offenders per 100,000 residents.

Breaking the data down further inside a state, there's no doubt going to be some highly populated pockets of these individuals, especially since they often locate in clusters after being released from jail.
clusters = low income neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area