Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 07:13 PM

917 posts, read 2,604,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
An excerpt: Operation Pierre Pan

Thousands of orphans and other Haitian children displaced by the earthquake will be airlifted to miami in a humanitarian project.

Operation Pierre Pan would be a near repeat of Operación Pedro Pan, which saw 14,048 unaccompanied Cuban children start new lives in the US in the early 1960s.

Just like that two-year programme, which was designed to remove children from the control of Fidel Castro's government, the new arrivals would live in temporary shelters in south Florida until foster homes are found, or they are reunited with family members.

The plan, the brainchild of the Catholic archdiocese of Miami, which oversaw the original Cuban mission, still awaits government blessing and money. But Florida's social services and education authorities are already on board, church officials have identified four sites for temporary shelters near Miami and Fort Lauderdale, and the area's sizeable Haitian-American community has promised its backing.

Education leaders in Miami-Dade county said more than 300 schools were equipped to offer places to Haitian children, including lessons in Haitian Creole, their native language.
This would seem to be a really good idea to support. It's not the same as setting up refugee camps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,937,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
This would seem to be a really good idea to support. It's not the same as setting up camps.
I agree, catholic charities are contacting other archdioceses in other states with large haitiann populations to accommodate as many children as possible. This is so very sad.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 PM

513 posts, read 1,218,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
So here I posted in this thread to say how much friendlier I have found the people in Sarasota, only to get this "reputation message" or whatever:

we are already used to the snobby "get out of my way" yankees down here. they've already taken over the state. why do you think so many natives move to friendlier, prettier, less concrete places like NC?

As opposed to saying something nice, of course.

Inexplicable. The anonymous person says "here," which I guess indicates someone who has stayed there in spite of their xenophobia.

We are friendly people, and expect people to interact with us in a friendly way. When they do not, we simply cease to interact with them. If I were to find the place that I live "taken over by" rude people, I would move.

I just find it ironic how rude people are when they are trying to convey how rude everyone is.
I wouldn't pay any attention to that garbage rep comment. In fact, if you want a huge laugh, go visit the Western, NC forum and read the numerous Florida bashing threads. The locals are crying like babies about all the evil Floridians buying up the land that they sold them, driving up prices, mowing down the mountains to build houses on the ridges, being rude, and causing them to leave because they say there's no jobs and the ones they do have pay nothing. It's a real hoot. That place is a train-wreck in the making.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,835,384 times
"Two Dominican aid workers were shot in Haiti today during relief efforts, WNBC reports.
They were taken to a hospital and their conditions were not immediately available.
According to the report, a man was shot by Haitians he was actually trying to help. Another civilian was also shot in the incident, which occurred during efforts to distribute food to needy Haitians."

Unfortunately, that just goes to show the mentality. I feel terrible for what happened, but at the same time, I dont think bringing them to Central FL is a good idea. Just look at what's happening to folks trying to help them out.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
This would seem to be a really good idea to support. It's not the same as setting up refugee camps.
The thought is nice, and good to see. I'm just not convinced its a good idea.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
I wouldn't pay any attention to that garbage rep comment. In fact, if you want a huge laugh, go visit the Western, NC forum and read the numerous Florida bashing threads. The locals are crying like babies about all the evil Floridians buying up the land that they sold them, driving up prices, mowing down the mountains to build houses on the ridges, being rude, and causing them to leave because they say there's no jobs and the ones they do have pay nothing. It's a real hoot. That place is a train-wreck in the making.

Could you copy and paste one of those posts? Numerous threads? Dont think so. The place is certainly not a train wreck as I lived there in Asheville; everyone wants to live there and it's pretty obvious why, but glad you are happy in FL.

Are you on the Western NC forum a lot? Thinking about moving there perhaps? LOL.

LOL, here's one... but it's the exact opposite. http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...ille-stay.htmlSomeone from FL is complaining about Asheville (saying that the people werent friendly, etc... and that they were so excited to come back to Vero Bch.). Anyhow, most people in Asheville are transplants anyhow, and completely defended Asheville (including me) and how nice and friendly people are there. Even once-upon-a-time floridians chimed in and completely defended Asheville. People up there are (overall) very happy.

Last edited by StreetSmarts; 01-17-2010 at 09:10 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 PM

513 posts, read 1,218,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Could you copy and paste one of those posts? Numerous threads? Dont think so. The place is certainly not a train wreck as I lived there in Asheville; everyone wants to live there and it's pretty obvious why, but glad you are happy in FL.

Are you on the Western NC forum a lot? Thinking about moving there perhaps? LOL.

LOL, here's one... but it's the exact opposite. Someone from FL is complaining about Asheville (saying that the people werent friendly, etc... and that they were so excited to come back to Vero Bch.). Anyhow, most people in Asheville are transplants anyhow, and completely defended Asheville (including me) and how nice and friendly people are there. Even once-upon-a-time floridians chimed in and completely defended Asheville. People up there are (overall) very happy.
Here's one, and there's plenty of Florida bashing in those threads.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...-disliked.html

Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 PM

I've read through all those posts, even posting myself. I am a native floridian and made that known on that forum, and didnt once feel like people didnt like me, or whatever you are proclaiming. In fact, first page, about the 3rd or 4th post, this person says, "Jokes about Floridiots and Florons aside, I was born in JAX, raised in MIA and moved here ten years ago. I have never been disliked because of my being from Florida."

"People here didn't just decide one day that all things Floridian are unwanted. The catalyst is most of the people who caused them angst, whether it be an attitude summed up by the statement "that's not the way we did in in Flahhrida," the constant complaining, driving 20 mph on a 45 mph road (or 5mph on the Blue Ridge Parkway as I saw last month) or acting like this area was put here for them happened to carry Florida plates. As a few of the Florida natives have pointed out, these folks aren't originally from there, either."

Classic "Flaahhrida" LOL! That's funny to me, and I know exactly who they're talking about. And it's true. But like this poster above said, they're originally from NY (most of them) and they do complain about things up there, just as they do in FL.

And this one... "I have absolutely no beef with people moving into the area. In fact, I love the fact that there are now so many more fun things to do and I attribute that to the influx of new residents I like making many friends from all over. I think other areas and cultures/lifestyle bring a breath of fresh air. I personally don't care if you have Florida tags on your car as long as you're not being a jerk on the road then you and I have no beef. I even realize that sometimes people from out of state are going to get lost or confused - after all - Asheville's roads are laid out kind of wonky so if you're driving kind of slow, or you turn all of a sudden. I understand."

Oh yeah, they're real mean and nasty up there! HAHAHA!

Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM

29 posts, read 66,572 times
[quote=SoFLGal;12483162]I know one of the rules that they have to follow are that they can only live so close to a school or bus stop, etc. It's been my experience that they seem to flock to areas where others reside- Not always but I have seen this. I guess if you are one you don't care much if your neighbor is one too.

That is partly why I posted my original post:

Originally Posted by GROC
Hi, I'm very curious about how people in small towns/cities (population) with a high percentage of registered sex offenders, feel, living there. Is there a great concern for your welfare or the welfare of your family or do you ever even think about these offenders living amongst you?
My concerns are not of the potentially rude or snotty people of the Northeast but of the sex offenders that lurk about.....anyone with any thoughts about this? What precautions do you take if any and what is your day to day mindset?

Thank you, for any and all replies!

So what about the other hundreds or perhaps thousands...who aren't sex offenders? Do they complacently go about living their lives? Any proactive groups trying to rid these areas of the problem?.....or at least trying to make it more difficult for the offenders to reside there? (legally, of course)
again..whats the mindset of the people living in these areas that have to deal with having so many sex offenders living amongst them?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:18 PM

29 posts, read 66,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
I would equate the clusters to being areas that these people feel they can safely live in without harassment or being outright ran out of the neighborhood; safe havens for them so to speak. Of course some of them are poor, but that isn't universally true.

Why exactly would they feel it was a safe haven? Are the people living in these areas so complacent they don't care who lives in the same town with them?............sounds kind of sad to me, if thats the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area