Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 04:29 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times

Advertisements

....in the last week since it's been cold. I actually know Daryl and his wife from when I just moved to Florida back in the early '90's and they were starting out in business.

But, it wasn't really all that cold & I guess the trees should have not died just because we get a cold spell.

Sorry, but anyone that told us Floridians that we were whiners really ticked me off.

The fish are dead from frost, the manatees are freezing, the sea turtles the same and just wait till we hear more about the farm industry's losses due to cold weather.

Just suck it up to Global warming......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
....in the last week since it's been cold. I actually know Daryl and his wife from when I just moved to Florida back in the early '90's and they were starting out in business.

But, it wasn't really all that cold & I guess the trees should have not died just because we get a cold spell.

Sorry, but anyone that told us Floridians that we were whiners really ticked me off.

The fish are dead from frost, the manatees are freezing, the sea turtles the same and just wait till we hear more about the farm industry's losses due to cold weather.

Just suck it up to Global warming......
I totally agree. I too, am ticked off about being told we are/were whiners about this cold! If all it was about was having to put on layers, that is no big deal. But Florida's agricultural economy is DESTROYED this year. And my beautiful landscape that I put so much work and money into this past year is toast. Our tourist economy is hurting, too!

I am finding poor dead lizards and other wildlife everywhere. I am very saddened, this new year is not starting off well. I just hope all the farmers and growers can recover from all this.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
thats is so sad a) that the animals are suffering and b) someone could lose a business or at least suffer a severe loss due to the cold snap. I hope he was insured and is covered.

lets hope the sun shines EVERYWHERE pretty soon

Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
thats is so sad a) that the animals are suffering and b) someone could lose a business or at least suffer a severe loss due to the cold snap. I hope he was insured and is covered.

lets hope the sun shines EVERYWHERE pretty soon

I don't ever remember it being this cold this long since 1992.

Let the sunshine in!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:35 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
think you have it due back around Thursday ??? we should be getting warm in May :-(

Old 01-12-2010, 10:07 AM

440 posts, read 1,052,794 times
Can planted palms survive in this temp? I won't be down to survey the damage to my landscape til March.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Can planted palms survive in this temp? I won't be down to survey the damage to my landscape til March.
Most people cover their palms when it gets this cold. I had two Foxtail's that I lost last winter and it didn't get this cold.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Most people cover their palms when it gets this cold. I had two Foxtail's that I lost last winter and it didn't get this cold.
My palms have fared better than I thought they would (been planted for a little over a year.) My foxtails have slightly yellowed on the tips & my royals look pretty good. There is no way I could cover any of my palms, way too big. I wish I could say the same for my bamboo. Been waiting over a year for them to grow tall enough to shield my neighbors property & now they are all brown & icky Hoping I will see signs of life after it warms up this week.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:17 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
My palms have fared better than I thought they would (been planted for a little over a year.) My foxtails have slightly yellowed on the tips & my royals look pretty good. There is no way I could cover any of my palms, way too big. I wish I could say the same for my bamboo. Been waiting over a year for them to grow tall enough to shield my neighbors property & now they are all brown & icky Hoping I will see signs of life after it warms up this week.
That's a bummer that your bamboo got hit. Good news about the palms though. Mine were just babies when they died last year. They hadn't even been in the ground for a month. So, I guess when they're bigger they probably have more resistance to the cold.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 PM

208 posts, read 612,195 times
I have 5 large foxtails that I think won't make it. Also, 3 medium size cuban royal palms that are not well. The leaves are brownish black. Lots of dead palm shrubs and lilies are dead as well. My home had the most fabulous landscaping. We tried everything...we will never have enough money to replace them. So sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area