Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,674 times

Advertisements

What's the employment situation like in the technology/software sector?

I'm a hardcore software engineer fully proficient in a whole raft of programming languages. Loads of experience in low-level hand-held device design (think sat nav, medical instruments, ...) I like to think that I have a good master's degree.

My wife & I are thinking of relocating somewhere warm, and Florida seems so much more convenient for her from a licensing point of view (she's a medical professional)

Does the Tampa area even have a technology industry to speak of? Maybe other areas in FL are better? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Yes I fully realise unemployment is pretty high at the moment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 PM

166 posts, read 604,133 times
Well, you will get more responses in the Tampa forum. Tampa definitely has a tech industry and Sarasota does have a little one as well. I don't know that there are any areas that are particularly better (Miami is a larger metro and might have more jobs though). I really don't know the job situation now, but I imagine it sucks.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 PM

385 posts, read 1,159,297 times
Tampa and Jacksonville would be the areas to look into. Not knowing what area of the country you are coming from, you could be in for quite a shock. Being a software engineer, you could go into smaller market like Sarasota, but you will want to be very cautious. You wouldn't want to be stuck in a negative situation if it didn't work out. If you wanted to play it really safe you could go to the tech hub of Atlanta.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Yes, I agree with both of the previous posts. I think Tampa and Jacksonville will be your best bet. There are a few in this area in Simply Hired.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:27 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Depending upon where you are from, you will probably find the pay situation to be quite different (possibly unacceptable). The term "paid in sunshine" is thrown around down here quite often.

While I haven't really looked into the job situation in the last 18 months, I looked this morning and I notice that no companies are posting pay info (even the ones that consistently were in the past).

2 years ago they were all posting pay ranges in the adds, but even then they were only in the 60-80k range for senior developers/engineers (50-60 per hour for contractors).

If you have some amount of specialization (especially with embedded tech) you may be able to get in with some of the defense, medical, or aerospace companies in the area, but as others have suggested they are more concentrated in the Tampa and St Pete areas.

After 8 years as a senior (developer/architect/engineer/jack of all trades), I finally decided that the only way to get the kind of income I needed was to either move to an area where my particular skills were in high demand, or do contract work and develop my own products. For the last year I have been contracting and have found that I can now charge on a more national level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area