Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 PM

15 posts, read 41,859 times

Advertisements

Hello all
We are finaly making the move to Venice...not the Island..but one of the other neighborhoods..South Venice -Venice Gardens and so on..
My wife and I were wondering ..among other things...what the water preferance is ...We are currently in PA and have well water and love it...Compaired to the city/pool water.....

Thanks in advance
Dave & Di
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,753 times
South Venice is mostly wells, Florida well water is pretty rank even with treatment systems. Our water table is full of sulpher and it smells of rotten eggs with a redish/brown tinge to it. The newer treatment systems remove the coloring and smell, I still refuse to drink it. Many of my clients in South Venice had their wells dry up a few years ago and had to pay large bills to have a new well tapped.

We have county water and if you hold a glass up to the light you can see particles floating in it, we dont drink that either. Just my opinion of course, but Florida water rates pretty low with us. Then again where I grew up we could drink from the rivers and streams and never had a concern, maybe it spoiled me.

Sarasota county has had an issue with the water eating copper plumbing pipes . Speculation is that its due to the treatment process and chemicals used. If it destroyed the pipes in my house, Im not drinking it

Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 PM

166 posts, read 604,084 times
Well water certainly gets better the farther you are away from the coast. If you are in a more inland location (like North Port for example), well water is fine. Living near the coast like in South Venice, the water is pretty bad.

If they didn't treat the water, stuff would grow in the pipes. The soil is too warm here not to treat the water. Or you get stuff like this: Legionnaires' Hits 3 Former Guests of Miami Hotel - ABC News

Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 PM

9 posts, read 34,068 times
Question...I'm in South Venice and today I noticed a hole on the west side of my house while mowing the lawn. When I was done mowing, I went back to the hole to check it out further. It's about 6" in diameter and there was a loose piece of what looks like concert lying near. I pulled that out and saw 2 more pieces of the same stuff in the bottom of the hole. There was a hole in the hole so I stuck the end of my broom through it to see how deep this thing was. To my amazement, there was water about 2 feet below me. The well is on the other side of the house and last spring I had to have in lowered about 8 feet so that I could get water to pump up. We hit water back then at 16'. I'm concerned that the water is right below my house at about 2 feet. The back yard has been sinking since 2006 when I got this place. I thought it was due to 1) construction workers dumping all their trash from building the house in the back yard and putting fill over it. The yard was just settling after 40 years. 2) A sprinkler pipe was broken and was never realized until months or maybe a couple of years later further causing the ground to sink. 3) Or, is it a sink hole? How do I know? Who can tell me? And who should not know about this?

Wondering What To Do

Old 10-22-2012, 04:06 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
For sinkhole questions call the Florida Department of Environmental Conservation at 850-617-0301

Visit their web site at FGS, Sinkholes in Florida

Sinkhole Questions Answered - http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/feedback/faq.htm

Old 10-22-2012, 05:56 AM

129 posts, read 237,178 times
We live in South Venice and besides the water treatment plant on the side of the house, we have reverse osmosis for the house. It's clear and with no smell after the RO treatment. The thing that you have to get used to is warm water out of the tap, it will never be cold or even cool.

Many people have a separate well for lawn sprinkling and you'll smell the sulfur when that's being used and see red marks on the house if the sprinkler sprays on it.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
the person who posted about the sink hole should have started a new thread--
just added to thread from 2010 that was about water quality--not sink hole

Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 PM

142 posts, read 354,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allfurrdup View Post
Question...I'm in South Venice and today I noticed a hole on the west side of my house while mowing the lawn. When I was done mowing, I went back to the hole to check it out further. It's about 6" in diameter and there was a loose piece of what looks like concert lying near. I pulled that out and saw 2 more pieces of the same stuff in the bottom of the hole. There was a hole in the hole so I stuck the end of my broom through it to see how deep this thing was. To my amazement, there was water about 2 feet below me. The well is on the other side of the house and last spring I had to have in lowered about 8 feet so that I could get water to pump up. We hit water back then at 16'. I'm concerned that the water is right below my house at about 2 feet. The back yard has been sinking since 2006 when I got this place. I thought it was due to 1) construction workers dumping all their trash from building the house in the back yard and putting fill over it. The yard was just settling after 40 years. 2) A sprinkler pipe was broken and was never realized until months or maybe a couple of years later further causing the ground to sink. 3) Or, is it a sink hole? How do I know? Who can tell me? And who should not know about this?

Wondering What To Do
Do you know where your septic tank is? Concete and wet shallow hole sounds like a tank more than ground water, unless you are in a low lying swamp.

I know of some wells in South Venice which are untreated and taste fine. There are good and bad to well water, you can treat any of the problems. City water is cheaper than paying for pumps to run. (assuming you will have 2). And city water is tested daily to make sure it is safe. (remember the dry cleaner issue in South Venice)

The floating things in city water are more than likely tiny bubbles. Set the glass down and watch them rise and disappear.

Reverse osmosis under the sink is the way to go for great drinking water.

Red/Orange stains on the house from sprinklers is iron, and can be treated easy enough with "rid o rust".
Ridorust.com

A good plumber can help with any of these problems. Or Coast Pump in Venice is a great source for water treatment.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 PM

142 posts, read 354,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the person who posted about the sink hole should have started a new thread--
just added to thread from 2010 that was about water quality--not sink hole
Have you heard of sinkholes in Venice? Just asking as I have not.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 AM

9 posts, read 34,068 times
Well, I called around, found there are no sink holes in Venice, decided to have the septic pumped, found that the lid was deteriorating, replaced that at $150 and am now back in business with no worries. Already have R/O and love it. Thanks for the tip about ridorust.com!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area