U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,606 times

Advertisements

Hi All, my wife and I are planning on moving from Oregon to Sarasota FL. What should we know about this area? Do you have any tips you can share? Do you have any great websites about Sarasota you can share?

We are family oriented and are very much looking forward to getting out of the gloom of Oregon and getting into some sun in Florida. I really enjoy fishing and have already been doing some research on the new types of game fish I can go after in Florida.

Any extra help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 03:17 PM

4,227 posts, read 8,238,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingforsun1980 View Post
Hi All, my wife and I are planning on moving from Oregon to Sarasota FL. What should we know about this area? Do you have any tips you can share? Do you have any great websites about Sarasota you can share?

We are family oriented and are very much looking forward to getting out of the gloom of Oregon and getting into some sun in Florida. I really enjoy fishing and have already been doing some research on the new types of game fish I can go after in Florida.

Any extra help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for you help.
Ah, tips first....don't get rid of your snow hats, gloves or winter coats; it was 35 here this morning....

Get on Facebook & check out the Sarasota pages, there's tons, just type in Sarasota.

Google Sarasota fishing, St. Armand's Circle, Lido Key, Siesta Key Beach, Mote Marine, G. Whiz, just to name a few of our wonderful attractions.

What part of town?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:20 PM

90 posts, read 87,901 times
no need to plan, just move youll love it

Old 02-16-2010, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,606 times
Thanks. Not really sure what part of town. I would like it all if possible, safe and secure family area, close access to the beach, close access to a college (I am planning on getting my masters and possible my doctorate while living there), decent job opportunities, great views, and great fishing...oh and a pet friendly place for my dog.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:57 AM

6,630 posts, read 5,257,205 times
Default Unemployment at 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingforsun1980 View Post
Thanks. Not really sure what part of town. I would like it all if possible, safe and secure family area, close access to the beach, close access to a college (I am planning on getting my masters and possible my doctorate while living there), decent job opportunities, great views, and great fishing...oh and a pet friendly place for my dog.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I recently read the unemployment rate for the Sarasota-Bradenton area is 12%.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 AM

5,720 posts, read 8,214,128 times
Buy Sun Glasses (they are like glasses only they are tinted, and can protect your eyes from the bright hot thing called the "Sun"). The Sun is a star that our planet rotates around every year. I know being from Oregon, it is something that you've only ever heard about but never actually seen.

Also, buy some sun screen / sun block!
And a new "Babe-in-Suit" or two for your wife.
Don't buy speedos!
The beaches are some of the nicest in the world. And the gulf water is very warm in the summer, sometime around 90 degrees. Coming from the pacific side of the world, where the water comes down from the artic - that will be quite surprisingly warm, if you've never been here!

Bring a pleasant lust for outdoor life, because there are a lot of wonderful things to do!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:20 AM

204 posts, read 330,314 times
It's difficult to take away all the smoke and mirror adjustments that the Bureau of Labor Statistics wraps unemployment numbers in. Here's a short breakdown.

There are two stats that most people would take notice of, U3 and U6.

U3 is the number we are typically familiar with from the media. It is a seasonally-adjusted figure and does not include folks who have given up the search for employment and people who have been forced into part-time work to make ends meet.

U6 on the other hand is "the broadest measure of unemployment in the civilian labor force in the U.S. economy and includes those who need work but have given up the search, and those who have taken part-time jobs while still seeking full time employment."

What this means is that unemployment in real-world terms is usually far worse than the % reported. In the gulf coast area, I'd put U6 numbers at more like 20% (if the national numbers are any indicator). Drive down 41 from Bradenton to Nokomis and really look at the retail holes that are being left in this area and the "for lease" signs. It's a bit creepy.

They call this the lost decade (usually referring to the stock market), and I can see why.

Before my wife and I moved here (late 90s), we were warned by relatives who had been local since the 70s that the area was VERY cyclical, around 10 years per boom/bust give or take. They weren't kidding- the sunshine gold rush was fierce from 2000-2005 (peak), and now, welcome to the trough.

What is interesting is that this kind of environment is cathartic somewhat ... as the weak businesses/resumes/household balance sheets "perish" and the strong survive to build towards ... the next bubble.

HHH

Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 AM

204 posts, read 330,314 times
I sound so doom and gloomy after Big House's post.

So I'll follow up with a "Like he said."

HHH

Old 02-20-2010, 11:11 AM

90 posts, read 87,901 times
about the for leasee signs its the same up north too no diderents at all

Old 02-20-2010, 05:57 PM

5,720 posts, read 8,214,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHelmhazzard View Post
It's difficult to take away all the smoke and mirror adjustments that the Bureau of Labor Statistics wraps unemployment numbers in. Here's a short breakdown.

There are two stats that most people would take notice of, U3 and U6.

U3 is the number we are typically familiar with from the media. It is a seasonally-adjusted figure and does not include folks who have given up the search for employment and people who have been forced into part-time work to make ends meet.

U6 on the other hand is "the broadest measure of unemployment in the civilian labor force in the U.S. economy and includes those who need work but have given up the search, and those who have taken part-time jobs while still seeking full time employment."

What this means is that unemployment in real-world terms is usually far worse than the % reported. In the gulf coast area, I'd put U6 numbers at more like 20% (if the national numbers are any indicator). Drive down 41 from Bradenton to Nokomis and really look at the retail holes that are being left in this area and the "for lease" signs. It's a bit creepy.

They call this the lost decade (usually referring to the stock market), and I can see why.

Before my wife and I moved here (late 90s), we were warned by relatives who had been local since the 70s that the area was VERY cyclical, around 10 years per boom/bust give or take. They weren't kidding- the sunshine gold rush was fierce from 2000-2005 (peak), and now, welcome to the trough.

What is interesting is that this kind of environment is cathartic somewhat ... as the weak businesses/resumes/household balance sheets "perish" and the strong survive to build towards ... the next bubble.

HHH
Exactly, everything goes in cycles! The commercial market is going to in to the crapper right behind the housing market. It hasn't hit yet, but there are going to be a flood of commercial properties hitting the foreclosure market before long. Many are preparing for the short sale market now. They too have been working unsuccessfully at getting refinancing, businesses have cut back, and are looking for better deals for renting on a square foot basis. There is pull back on the market because commercial space is more and more available, and willing to make better and better deals. Great Post HHH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area