Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 12:05 PM

338 posts, read 1,007,375 times

Advertisements

We were driving through Sarasota on 41 last night and decided to get something to eat. We stopped at Walts and ordered Fish and chips and hush puppies. Haven't had fish and chips for quite awhile so we were really looking forward to it. It was by far the worst fish and chips I ever tasted- bar none. The batter had no flavor and the fish was no better. I couldn't eat the fish even with tartar sauce. They forgot our hush puppies and the chips were just so so. My husband spoke to the manager/owner? (Chip) about returning my meal (my husband attempted to eat his) and he refused to take the meal off our bill. He would only substitute another dinner. It was some kind of horribly fried(in old grease my guess) grouper. Walts makes Long John Silvers seem gormet!. Please all you visitors to the area do yourself a favor and skip Walts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 01:09 PM

166 posts, read 601,054 times
Well, it sucks you had a bad experience. I've never been there, but they do get pretty good reviews and I know several people that love it. I just don't like fish

Old 02-20-2010, 02:59 PM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debvic View Post
We were driving through Sarasota on 41 last night and decided to get something to eat. We stopped at Walts and ordered Fish and chips and hush puppies. Haven't had fish and chips for quite awhile so we were really looking forward to it. It was by far the worst fish and chips I ever tasted- bar none. The batter had no flavor and the fish was no better. I couldn't eat the fish even with tartar sauce. They forgot our hush puppies and the chips were just so so. My husband spoke to the manager/owner? (Chip) about returning my meal (my husband attempted to eat his) and he refused to take the meal off our bill. He would only substitute another dinner. It was some kind of horribly fried(in old grease my guess) grouper. Walts makes Long John Silvers seem gormet!. Please all you visitors to the area do yourself a favor and skip Walts.
The Walt's we used to go to near downtown is gone now, but that one was pretty terrible too. Once I got some sauteed shrimp that smelled like AMMONIA! My husband could smell it, everyone could but the waiter refused to admit that they did. The fish market side was pretty gross, too. there are way too many good seafood houses to go to a substandard place like Walt's.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,018,681 times
That is too bad! Bad seafood is really bad!
At least you didn't report getting sick!
Thanks for the warning! There are so many good seafood places around!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 14,691 times
Thanks for telling us about Walt's, was going to go there tonight, guess it's McDonalds again for a fish sandwich and fry! LOL!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey-gal View Post
Thanks for telling us about Walt's, was going to go there tonight, guess it's McDonalds again for a fish sandwich and fry! LOL!
I actually really like the McDonald's fish sandwich!
Of course I always liked the Big Mac, and the Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

I can't wait till the come out with the McBeer!

How's going up there in Osprey - Gal?

Old 02-22-2010, 03:50 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,327,139 times
I think maybe they were all just really mad because they thought when you were saying that the CHIPS were really awful, they mis-heard you and thought you were saying that CHIP (the manager) was really awful.

And maybe Chip is a super guy, and his feelings were just plain hurt.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth, life is too damned short to eat bad seafood, especially something that should bring as much downright joy as fish and chips.

And by the way, it would depend how much of the meal your husband actually ate. If it was a substantial amount of the meal, I don't think they're out of line offering only a substitution. If it's a bite or two and you say "I am not paying for this trash," then no problem.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I think maybe they were all just really mad because they thought when you were saying that the CHIPS were really awful, they mis-heard you and thought you were saying that CHIP (the manager) was really awful.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth, life is too damned short to eat bad seafood, especially something that should bring as much downright joy as fish and chips.

And by the way, it would depend how much of the meal your husband actually ate. If it was a substantial amount of the meal, I don't think they're out of line offering only a substitution. If it's a bite or two and you say "I am not paying for this trash," then no problem.
I like your humor! I wish I though about Chip!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:30 PM

338 posts, read 1,007,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post

It was a to-go order we opened in the car and I only tasted my meal before deeming it uneatable.My husband did not try to get his money back on his meal. Chip the manager/owner or whatever he is there refused to refund the money on my meal. He said everone likes it that way and that's what the condiments are for, to give it flavor. Just a side note we kept what was left till we got home and put it out in the wooded area by our house for the wild animals. They usually eat anything. The next day that food was still there! So I guess I am not the only one with discerning taste.lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area