U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 01:42 PM

6,103 posts, read 12,729,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
wrong!
Oh, thanks Tommy.
Correction - she lives in Ft. Myers, and got a nursing job and loves being down here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 03:10 PM

3,535 posts, read 5,583,703 times
what a difference those few miles make

Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 PM

917 posts, read 2,231,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Oh, thanks Tommy.
Correction - she lives in Ft. Myers, and got a nursing job and loves being down here.
I didn't even notice your Naples/Fort Myers mistake. I was correcting your facts.

She went home for Christmas and stopped posting. I contacted her, and in a DM dated 01-13-2010 she told me she would not be coming back down. She said she was sending her husband and daughter for her stuff. She felt she needed to be up there with her elderly mother.
She did say she still would like to return someday:

"I fully intend to make it back that way someday but for now I feel this is where I need to be.."

I haven't bothered her since. Maybe you have newer info?

Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 PM

1,124 posts, read 2,537,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsa View Post
most people will talk the talk but wouldnt walk the walk
We walked the walk! and are very happy about it Mr.Cool

Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 PM

1,124 posts, read 2,537,512 times
Quote:
Yes Rainbow girl did move. She lives in Naples, and loves it. She got a Nursing job.

No Mon! De feesh ain't biting, tho I keep puttin the bait on the hook. I have my boat loaded up right now, and am waiting for my company to arrive so we can head down to Boca Grande Pass and try my luck again today!

DM me when you get near. I've been hibernating lately, but today the sun is out and it is just lovely! I've been working on different rig sets. I am quite creative, and waiting waiting waiting for the warm weather so I can get a decent day in. Who ever said the weather is always the same down here is nuts! I think we've only had a few days that weren't mostly in the 60s for the past two months, and the couple days we had that creeped up - its been windy! Add the fact that its 10 degrees cooler out on the water, and it can get down right nippy!
Hey BH, how long does it take you to get to Boca Grande pass by boat? Have you ever boated down to Ft.Myers beach? how long would that take? You have 115 hp Yamaha four stroke right? Mr.Cool

Old 02-23-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I didn't even notice your Naples/Fort Myers mistake. I was correcting your facts.

She went home for Christmas and stopped posting. I contacted her, and in a DM dated 01-13-2010 she told me she would not be coming back down. She said she was sending her husband and daughter for her stuff. She felt she needed to be up there with her elderly mother.
She did say she still would like to return someday:

"I fully intend to make it back that way someday but for now I feel this is where I need to be.."

I haven't bothered her since. Maybe you have newer info?

No, I don't Tommy. I read some of her posts before Christmas, and it sounded like she loved it here. I did DM her, but didn't get a response so I didn't follow up either. That's a shame about her mother, she did mention that complication before she came down.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Hey BH, how long does it take you to get to Boca Grande pass by boat? Have you ever boated down to Ft.Myers beach? how long would that take? You have 115 hp Yamaha four stroke right? Mr.Cool
Yeah, I can cruise around 30 mph, it took me about 45 minutes to make it back the other day, and about an hour to get down there. I have made it in 30-35 minutes before, on a smooth water day. I haven't tried to go down to Ft. Myers by boat yet, but I had a friend that took me out to Boca Grand (actually Cayo Costa State Park) from Ft Myers once. I don't remember it seemed like it took an hour plus, but they had a cat / party boat, and it only had a 50 hp yamaha.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:10 PM

917 posts, read 2,231,417 times
Quote:
No, I don't Tommy. I read some of her posts before Christmas, and it sounded like she loved it here. I did DM her, but didn't get a response so I didn't follow up either. That's a shame about her mother, she did mention that complication before she came down.
I agree, the posts sound she and her family really liked it here, but I think she was having trouble finding the right nursing position. At one point she was commuting to West Palm Beach from Fort Myers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow girl View Post
I am working in WPB and driving from Fort Myers (long haul) and was wondering if there are any nice apts. in Boynton Beach that don't cost an arm and leg. It is cheaper to live in Fort Myers but don't make as much money either. I want a safe area because I do have children and would like to be semi close to a beach. I don't think the school system could be any worse than over there so that's not so much a concern. Any honest help would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Long haul is an understatement....you do a 250 mile round trip commute...you didn't plan your relocation to Florida too well.
Quote:
Didn't plan it that way it just happened because the hospital I was working at on the gulf side was doing things that I didn't want to do to risk my license so I gave that job up and started working over on Atlantic side because that's where I found a job! It won't be forever and I will either work on the gulf side again or move. That's why I'm asking about apts.
Quote:
This is true! Patient to nurse ratio is much worse here than in Indiana. Other than the seasonal packages the pay is really bad for nurses here and is way backward from up north. Most are still on paper charting and semi-private rooms. Make sure you know what you're getting into before you sign anything!
I think all of us thought she would have it easy because she was a nurse. Apparently that wasn't the case.
Rainbow Girl, If your reading this, I hope everything's ok with you. (FYI, seain dublin seems to have moved on to other forums.)

Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM

15 posts, read 23,289 times
Default .

Darn ! !

I hated to read that about Rainbow girl, it originally sounded like things were going to work out for her.

I don't know her but being from the same city in Indiana I was really rooting for her to suceed on her venture.

Good luck Rainbow girl, I'm rooting for ya !!!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:08 PM

158 posts, read 246,989 times
Quote:
I agree, the posts sound she and her family really liked it here, but I think she was having trouble finding the right nursing position. At one point she was commuting to West Palm Beach from Fort Myers!

I think all of us thought she would have it easy because she was a nurse. Apparently that wasn't the case.
Rainbow Girl, If your reading this, I hope everything's ok with you. (FYI, seain dublin seems to have moved on to other forums.)

You have to live it to understand what a truly miserable experience nursing can be if you are in a "bad" hospital. Scary for the nurses and dangerous for the patients.
It's unfortunate she couldn't have found a more pleasant place to work - she may have stayed.
Florida hospitals have a generally poor reputation amongst nurses. That's why I'm researching like crazy. I've heard good things about Sarasota memorial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area