Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,281 times

Advertisements

Disturbing article about the state of homeowner's insurance in Florida.

Quote:
No one knows what will happen when the next big storm strikes Florida shores. But the signs are not promising.SPECIAL REPORT: Weak insurers put Floridians at risk | | HeraldTribune.com

Old 02-28-2010, 08:18 AM

453 posts, read 1,742,223 times
Very disturbing, indeed. Thank you for posting this.

Rhys

Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I sent that article to my daughter who lives in Nokomis and her friend who is moving there soon--
hopefully if my daughter has one of the less-financed insurance companies they can take steps to move their policy (even at a higher rate)

free market--indeed--
I know there is nothing "free" in the market or the world--I don't know why the FL legislature or anyone else fails to recognize/acknowledge that fact--
we all pay in some ways/shape/form for everything we have/enjoy/need in life...every day...

Old 02-28-2010, 12:31 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,162 times
how is citizens? what companies are questionable?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
Very disturbing, indeed. Thank you for posting this.

Rhys
Thank you. I live in Punta Gorda. We moved here a year after hurricane Charley. There were many storm damaged uninhabited homes throughout the area when we arrived.

Most of these homes were eventually torn down, and are now empty lots. People who thought they had enough coverage found out otherwise and were never able to rebuild. (Including the family that lived right next door to us)

They have a policy here called the fifty percent rule. If the cost of repairs goes above fifty percent of the homes value, you must bring up the entire structure to current codes. This includes elevation.

Many people who simply lost roof shingles had rain water get in their homes. With no electricity to dry things out, mold took over, resulting in costly remediation that might have put them over the fifty percent.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
how is citizens? what companies are questionable?
Citizens is a last choice option run by the state. They issue policies on properties the others don't want.

There is a search box at the end of the article to look up other companies.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:21 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Good article and link. I have Universal, and they are sound by all measures according to the search box.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:43 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
The state regulates the insurance companies allowed to do business in the state. The insurance companies have to have a certain rating and good qualified financial status in order to offer insurance in the state. Citizens is a state financed insurance company, and does offer insurance for some properties that other insurance companies won't cover because they determine them too risky. The state uses the massive market here to some big insurance companies like Allstate and State Farm so that they will offer here. And if they want other parts of the insurance market here they have to also offer home owner's and flood insurance.

The state of florida is a pretty good overall insurance market. There is a pretty good risk for losses due to the potential for hurricanes - I think it is more when, not if that there will be some. But, the State makes the insurance companies to participate in the home owner insurance coverage business if they want approval to sell in the state. Insurance companies make deals with the state that limit competition, and this is one of the trade offs. Other companies will jump in if given the chance.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
The state regulates the insurance companies allowed to do business in the state. The insurance companies have to have a certain rating and good qualified financial status in order to offer insurance in the state. Citizens is a state financed insurance company, and does offer insurance for some properties that other insurance companies won't cover because they determine them too risky. The state uses the massive market here to some big insurance companies like Allstate and State Farm so that they will offer here. And if they want other parts of the insurance market here they have to also offer home owner's and flood insurance.

The state of florida is a pretty good overall insurance market. There is a pretty good risk for losses due to the potential for hurricanes - I think it is more when, not if that there will be some. But, the State makes the insurance companies to participate in the home owner insurance coverage business if they want approval to sell in the state. Insurance companies make deals with the state that limit competition, and this is one of the trade offs. Other companies will jump in if given the chance.
Big House, did you bother to read the article?

Old 02-28-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Good article and link. I have Universal, and they are sound by all measures according to the search box.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area