U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 26,226 times
Default Relocating to Venice,FL in a few months....

Hello there,
I'll be totally new to the Venice area in a couple of months....
I'd love to know more about the area...........
Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 06:58 AM

193 posts, read 822,174 times
Hi:

I have lived in Tampa for most of my life (I'm 61) and I'm considering a move to the Venice/Englewood area in a year. I absolutely love it there! My ex-wife and in-laws live there and wouldn't live anywhere else because it's a low crime environment for the most part and of course it's close to the Gulf.

You won't find as much to do on the cultural scene as you would in a larger city, but only you know how much importance that holds.

Good luck in your move!

Tony Noriega, Tampa

Old 06-20-2007, 12:43 PM

6 posts, read 51,941 times
Default me too, me too

i will also be relocating to the area in july. i'm wondering if there is any kind of social scene for those of us who are younger (my fiance and i are both 25)?

can anyone tell me anything about this area?

Old 07-06-2007, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 26,226 times
THanks very much for the info...have a great evening....

Old 01-07-2008, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 13,064 times
Hello! We are moving to Venice at the end of March as well! We are early 30's with a young son. After weighing the alternatives we feel this is the best decision for us although we are going to rent for a year instead of buy until we can actually research more indepth. We are moving from Ohio.....would love to keep in touch with some of our neighbors to be!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 26,206 times
Default Grew Up in Venice and Moving Back Myself!

I grew up in Venice, am in my mid 30's, and I'm moving back. Just visited for the weekend and it hasn't changed since I was there in the early 90's. (Talking Venice Island). There wasn't a lot of club type places, just your average sports pubs and such. Sharky's is kind of cool, a bar/rest. on the pier at Venice Beach. Other than that. Hang out your pad after a day on the beach and grill out with some friends etc.
Can't wait to be back!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 PM

69 posts, read 147,424 times
I have lived in Venice for 9 years and I love it! It's small, but quaint! I joined the Chamber of Commerce as a self-employed entrepreneur and have made many professional friends & business aquaintances. I tell eveyone I sleep in Venice but I play in Sarasota because there is more to do there. I feel that Venice is centrally located to Sarasota as well as Port Charlotte and there's a great comedy club in each location, that I frequent. The driving distance to Tampa and Ft Myers airport is about the same. As for going to Disney, it's only about a 2 hour drive. It's a fantastic place to bring up a family and if you havem't heard one of the best places to retire according to US News and World Report! Would love to chat more about Venice, especially anyone looking into moving here. New friends are always welcome (write anytime)! Kim : )

Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 AM

8 posts, read 31,936 times
I'm moving to Venice from Elmira, NY this coming August 16th (2008) and I'm also going to rent a place first before I buy a house. I'm really looking forward to this move. I've heard so many good things about Venice already.
I checked out some other areas earlier this year north of Tampa but they weren't as safe and nice. I'm also looking forward to riding the Heritage Trail on my bike from Venice to Sarasota. I love nature and birds so I think it will be fun exploring the wildlife. Good idea to join the Chamber, I'm also self-employed so I will do the same!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 AM

1,381 posts, read 3,453,673 times
I live in Venice. I live on the Island. The streets are quiet, the beaches uncrowded. The public basketball and tennis courts are lit at night and are well used. There are concerts in the park, music quality is not great but it's free and fun. There's a bike and walking path along the inter coastal.
I fish along the beach, jetty, and pier. There are several free boat ramps in Venice so I enjoy boating the inter coastal and near shore.
I don't dive but there are always divers just off shore.
There's plenty of golf in the area though a bit crowded during season.
Lot's of people have dogs so dog-walking is a favorite past time and there's a dog access beach. Got to pickup by law and most people do.
I raise orchids, lots of people garden so the landscape is mature and for the most part well done.
The sidewalks roll up around 9pm so if there is any nite-life other than make your own I haven't found it.
I love living in Venice but it's not for everyone.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM

6,674 posts, read 11,747,218 times
Here's an article I worte about the Venice area. Bkenner-you'd probably have to travel a little north to Sarasota to find more of the social scene:

Venice

Venice, Florida is located in Sarasota County on the Gulf of Mexico. It is aptly named and has numerous canals that meander through the city. South of Sarasota and north of Port Charlotte, Venice is a charming city with a perfectly casual atmosphere, beautiful beaches and many amenities. Venice was designed by the well-known city planner John Nolen in the 1920s and is known for its Italian architecture and landscaped open spaces. Its charming demeanor is further enhanced by the local art festivals and parades and the intimate nature of its neighborhoods. Venice Avenue is a broad boulevard lined with palms and boutiques, fine restaurants and sidewalk cafes.

Venice has a quaint downtown district, a yacht club, theater, a library, art center, hospitals, schools, restaurants, parks and the most beautiful beaches in Florida. It is close to I-75 and to local airports and features many recreational and picnic areas, swimming, boating and fishing, as well as the all-important Floridian sport of golf. Venice even has it own small airport, primarily for private planes.

The Waterford Golf Club is a favorite of regular golfers and appeals to golfers of all skill levels. It is listed among the top twenty golf courses in southwest Florida. With twenty-seven holes of deep green fairways, water and hazards, you will never be bored playing on these three 9 -hole courses.

Venice beaches are known world-wide for fossil collecting and sharks teeth, and you will often see tourists and residents alike, combing the white sand for treasure. With its Mediterranean style buildings, date palms and languid, deep blue waters Venice will take you back in time to a simpler lifestyle. Hang out at the fishing pier and sample some of the local fare and have a cocktail at the Tiki Bar of the famous Sharky’s Restaurant, or linger by the South Jetty and watch the sunset as the surf rolls in over Venice Beach. In Venice you can hang out on fourteen beaches, spend an evening at the Venice Little Theater and visit the Venice Arts Center.
The Venice area is comprised of five communities - Venice, Nokomis, South Venice, Osprey and Laurel. Many homes in the Venice area reflect the Mediterranean architecture of the city of Venice. Here you can find moderately priced homes, condominiums, and grand upscale estate homes. It is home to young families, singles, seniors and winter residents.

Surrounding Venice are the gated communities of Pelican Pointe Golf and Country Club, Calusa Lakes, Venetian Golf and River Club, Waterford Golf Club and Venice Golf and Country Club. Other neighborhoods include Bayshore Estates, Chestnut Creek, Eagle Point Club, Portofino, Myakka River Trail, Jacaranda West, Sawgrass and Stoneybrook of Venice.

South Venice Beach is just south of the city and has a community park, boat ramp and ferry service to a private beach. The community homeowner association is voluntary and the community owns 1,300 of deeded beach land and is not deed restricted. South Venice Beach is the largest neighborhood in Sarasota County with approximately 8,000 homes and home sites, nature trails, tennis, a clubhouse and a basketball court.

Venice Gardens is located within ten minutes of Venice beaches. The community has a voluntary homeowner association, a large sparkling pool and a community clubhouse. Some Venice Garden homes are located on the small lakes that dot the community. Many homes have private docks. This established community is a favorite of seniors and first-time buyers because of the amenities and the reasonable home prices.

Ventura Village is a gated community that features a large, lovely swimming pool and clubhouse, ponds, lighted walkways, wetland preserves and is only five minutes from the beach, marinas, shopping and dining. The community offers both paired villas and single-family homes.

Bay Street Villages is a new mixed-use condominium community with beautifully landscaped, well-maintained buildings, lake views, and landscaped walkways, all within walking distance to restaurants and shopping. This community is certified by the Florida Green Building Coalition and the U.S. Green Building Council.

In Venice and the surrounding communities, you can find any size home or condo, waterfront or golfing neighborhoods or small vacation homes. Whatever your taste or price range, contact us to get more information about beautiful Venice and the surrounding communities.

VENICE Communities:
Bellagio on the Island of Venice -Gated
Bird Bay -Golf
Capri Isles -Golf
Cedar Ridge
Chestnut Creek
Eagle Pointe Club -Waterfront, Gated
Jacaranda West Country Club -Golf
Lake Geraldine -Gated, Equestrian
Lakes of Jacaranda
Lake of the Woods
Myakka River Trails -Gated, Equestrian
Pelican Pointe Golf & Country Club -Golf, Gated
Pinebrook
Plantation Golf & Country Club -Golf
Sarasota National -Golf, Gated
Sawgrass
Stoneybrook of Venice
Southwood
Venetia -Gated
Venetian Falls -Gated
Venetian Golf & River Club -Golf, Gated
Venice East Golf Club -Golf
Venice Golf & Country Club -Golf, Gated
Ventura Village -Gated
Waterford Golf Club -Golf
Willow Springs

Last edited by SoFLGal; 07-31-2008 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area