Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:48 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
We went in march and it was not a jam packed circus full of idiots. It was very cool. There were cops present at the beginning also butr at the same time there were a few drinks being had but nothing that was in any way more than a social gathering.
It is not a hassle and is worth checking out if for no other reason than to be amazed at watching and hearing people banging drums for a couple of hours.

Funny thing to the woman that either coach or soflagal captured was also doing that routine when we were there in March as was the guy who's covered in tats and has the blonde dreadlocks. By the way, that guy can play! And I'm sure being muscle bound helps his arms banging on the drums for 2 and a half hours too!

It may get old if you did it all the time but if you happen to like a walk on the beach at sunset on a Sunday, what the hell. Why wouldn't you check it out? And also in March we did not have a parking problem. It's a big lot right there.
I'm surprised you didn't have problems with parking in March. That's usually the height of snowbird season.

I think the gypsy woman is a regular. She's in every picture on all the websites I've seen about Siesta.

The dreaded tat guy was my favorite. He was amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I'm surprised you didn't have problems with parking in March. That's usually the height of snowbird season.

I think the gypsy woman is a regular. She's in every picture on all the websites I've seen about Siesta.

The dreaded tat guy was my favorite. He was amazing!

Yea we were surprised too that we didn't have a parking issue. I believe it was March 21 to be exact and I just glanced at my pictures and there was a lot more people but also a lot more kids. If I lived there I would make it a part of Sunday night sunset beach walk for sure.

As far as the guy worried about idiots, don't be the cops were bored 5 minutes after it started after surveying the crowd tehy left. No idiots.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
Coachgns,
Awesome pics! Beautiful to say the least.
Thank you very much.
I can tell you that some of the people "performing" at the Drum Circle, in the "Real life" are pillars of the Sarasota community. The former Mayor has attended. And that woman referred to in a few posts is a well-respected professional person in SRQ. The few times I've been there I have seen people enjoying themselves, and not a bunch of "crazies" or drunks.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 AM

Feather man is cool too! He's the one in Nokomis that blows the horn made out of a conch shell as the sun is setting.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Feather man is cool too! He's the one in Nokomis that blows the horn made out of a conch shell as the sun is setting.

Ah, the feather man. dressed in black with the white hat. The other "non-player" is the shaman. I don't really know if he is a shaman or not, he just looks like one to me. I know he lives in Costa Rica in the winter. I do not see him in any of the pics, so he may be gone for the season. The drummer mentioned with the tats only drums at Siesta. A lot of the drummers are at both beaches.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:42 PM

The kids had a great time skimming this afternoon/evening with their friend Javier at Nokomis Beach while the drum circle played. If any kids are interested in joining in next week we'd love to have them. Javier was going to go pro but decided to stick it out in college and he's excellent at teaching the kids how to skim.

We'll be there next week, right down from the drum circle. We usually get there (on Saturday) at about noon and stay until it's to dark for them to skim.

If anyone is going next week stop by and say hi

Here are some pics from this week:

Last edited by SoFLGal; 10-23-2010 at 08:42 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 04:59 PM

22 posts, read 29,968 times
Nice photos. Skimming looks like fun!

Old 10-24-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL Dreamer View Post
Nice photos. Skimming looks like fun!
The kids tell me it's a blast. I'm not so good at it though.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:22 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Your little one is SOOOO cute!! I love her little bikini!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area