Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 06:46 PM

141 posts, read 288,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Conover View Post
I just completed an impact job on a rehab. (5) PGT windows and (2) PGT french doors cost the owner about $15,000.00.

In all fairness, this job required an extensive amount of work before the windows could be installed.
Are the windows and doors plastic or metal? The plastic units don't seem to last in the Florida climate and I hear that they have a similar problem in the desert southwest. It seems that the UV rays and heat dry out and degrade the plastic and cause it to get brittle over time. Some have a warping problem but that may be more due to installation that product. Life expectancy is only about 20 years or so unless it is under a stoop or awning/overhang to keep the sun away. Plastic is not an option for me unless it is painted - I have been told the same thing about plastic privacy fence. If you want it to last, keep the sun off of the plastic with paint of some kind. I suppose if you aren't keeping you house for 40 years, it's just gonna' be someone else's problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,913 times
There are fiberglass, vinyl, aluminum impact windows. There well might be some vinyl windows or doors that dry out but so far I have not seen them in Florida which gets a lot of sun. Aluminum windows or doors are strong as long as they put some thermal break in between the two sections of aluminum. Fiberglass seems to be one of the best ideas around but not as many companies produce them.
I have over 30 years of Andersen casement windows that sit directly south and they are doing just fine. I did 3 years ago start to use a vinyl product I have had good luck with for cars to protect the vinyl. It seems to put a layer of protective film on the windows.

Regarding someone asking about my house location. I have no debris that can hit the windows except what comes off the bay and in a hurricane it does come off the bay when docks break apart. Planks do and will strike the homes and I prefer the impact glass over the shutters but they both work well...

Old 03-06-2018, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 488 times
My house has gone through four hurricanes. Each time we have put up heavy metal panels. They take about three hours of lugging and up/down ladders. Same for taking them down. Our hope was to install hurricane windows for protection from the storms, but also against break-ins while traveling. The HOA requires putting shutters up ONLY after a hurricane has been declared and they must come down within 5 days after the storm. Our goal was to pack up and head out to travel for up to a month while the hurricane did it's thing. Having read this thread, it sounds like water, wind damage and potential blow-in or out might result in lots of damage.I am now leading toward accordion shutters on sides and back of house (that could stay shuttered) and the metal panels only in front with the bay window now in clear lean. The cost will be about one tenth (enough to pay someone for decades of closing the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area